Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 AM

182 posts, read 356,608 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the tips and advice - very much appreciated.

Costs and volumes aside though, I'm not sure PODS or any of the smaller cubes would be very convenient for a Kaua'i delivery, at least not with what they offer right now. Maybe they would be more convenient on this end of the move, but according to U-Pack we would have to be at the dock within two days of arrival in Kaua'i to unpack the cube ourselves and get our things moved (without help unless we hire a mover). I'm assuming similar arrangements would have to be made with either uHaul or PODS unless we want to pay storage fees, and I have no idea what those might be.

In our case it will all boil down to how much we finally decide to bring along with us, but for the time being we keep going back and forth on whether to take more or less. Not an easy decision, at least not at this point in the process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,772 times
What is the best way to ship an RV from Origon to Maui hi

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,772 times
Default Drive Bol RV

Can some body till me what the best way to ship RV from origon to maui

Old 07-08-2015, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 43,291 times
Matson, ships out of Seattle.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
I just want to say a big MAHALO! to all who posted here, especially ILoveLidoBeach for your detailed, very informative information.
I will be moving from Key Largo Florida to the Big Island in 72 days (yes, who's counting!). I'll be retiring from my day job and with any luck will be relaxing a lot more, and building musical instruments.

My plan is this:

Pack all my stuff onto wood pallets (available free). I’ll put most of my tools and equipment, my household stuff (got to get rid of a lot still), my toys (scuba, fishing, hunting, camping gear) on the pallets. I’ll shrink wrap a lot of stuff to secure things to the pallets. Big items will just be secured in the container.

I have a shop that can hold all the packed pallets. I need to start packing now so I can get junk sorted out from my stuff, and decide which stuff I really don’t need. I think this is going to be the hard part!

I'll buy a 40 ft. shipping container CWO certified (have to be CWO inspected to get on a ship)from SF Intermodal Portable Storage Containers in Miami for $1600 plus an extra $125 for adding a lock box (so the padlock is more tamperproof), and maybe $400 to repaint it (I plan to keep it a while in Hawai'I – cheaper to own than rent, and I can sell it for a profit there). They will deliver and unload it at my shop for an additional $340. They will slide it off the truck onto the parking lot at my shop.

Next, load the container with the pallets (I'll plan to build a second floor in part of the container to allow pallets to be stacked). The lumber for the floor will be useful in Hawai'i I'm sure. I’ll borrow or rent a forklift to load with. Moving into the container should be easy as the container will be sitting on the parking lot – easy to build some ramps to drive the forklift in.

Next, I will have to hire a crane to pick up the container to put back on a truck chassis (only one ridiculous price of $1400 for the crane so far – think it should be $500), then a truck can haul it to Matson's designated place where Matson will take possession (thru a subcontracted party I'm sure) and load it on a railcar. The container will travel by train to Matson's port in LA, where they'll load it on a ship and get it to Hilo.

Once in Hilo, Big Island Container Sales and Rentals in Kea’au, Hawai’I will pick up the container and take it to their yard. I’ve spoken with Kimo there, and he said it is $200 to get the container from the port in Hilo and take it to his yard. It will cost around $200/month to store it at his yard. I’ll leave it there until I can get a place to unpack it.

Of course I'll have to live here for a month with only stuff that fits in two suitcases - or give away the last of my things. Not a big deal as I've moved into a semi furnished apartment for these last few months here in Key Largo.

I haven't gotten a quote from Matson for the shipping cost of the container yet, but I'll do that and make another post to this thread.

I hope this all helps someone else with their move.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 AM

60 posts, read 100,659 times
In calling Matson (March 2019) it appears that they will ship a 40 ft container from our house (Virginia) to the PORT in Kahalui, Maui for $10,455.21 but WILL NOT transport it to our house in Haiku. Something about local unions on Maui prohibiting them...

So, does anyone have recommendations for a mover on Maui who can complete this last leg?

Also, since Matson only offers $1000 insurance, can anyone recommend a good 3rd party insurance company for the haul?

Mahalo!

FYI Matsons rate for a 20 ft container? $9,120.54 from Virginia

Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 675 times
CasualEntreprener, you can check with Theo Sniffen trucking in Wailuku. They stored and moved our containers for us. Their site is [url=http://tsniffenandsonstruckingmaui.com/]T. Sniffen & Sons LLC | Hauling Services | Wailuku, HI[/url] and number is (808) 871-7781

We did basically the same thing as K2panman. We put all of our items on pallets and purchased our own containers. We drove them ourselves from Texas to Long Beach, but my husband has a DOT. We shipped our entire business including all of our trucks, heavy equipment, and misc farm tools. We also shipped 3 RV's and used those to fill all of our personal belongings and what little furniture we wanted to keep. We also left things we did not need right away in storage in Texas (because it is more than half the price of storage in Maui), until we send over a few more RV's or containers to put them in. Unlike the cars, which have to remain empty, the RV's do not. We currently live in and house workers in the RV's but should we ever need to sell them, they are going for top dollar on Maui (currently). So if you can get one super cheap, fill it, ship it, then either use it or sell it on island, it may be a cost savings. Also buying your own container makes a profit on island, or can be used as personal storage or work space (if you have room for it). We use ours for all storts of things. Check auctions for good deals on both shipping containers or RV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui