Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I agree we are addicted to shopping as much as the junkie is for the next fix. Thats one of the downfalls of are capitalistic society.
Apparently, it isn't just the capitalists who enjoy Walmart.

Walmart to open 110 new stores in China - FT.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
You don't know what I mean because you haven't been to Oahu in a VERY long time. Go, spend some time and see things for yourself. Have you ever been to any of the other islands? Seriously, get out of the Pearl District, hop on a plane and go check them out. I think you will like what you find!
Home is Home viper (oh sorry i meant mcfrostyj ) I will prob have many reactions from tears of sorrow to see what big money and capitalism did to my home, to pure joy of feeling the tropic sun on my face again and smell the Pikake(jasmine) in the air as one deboards from the plane or to feel the vibrations of healing mana from places in the islands were the aina is still healthy, or the pure joy of experiencing the local culture (whats left) or favorite grindz. My feelings will probably be like what most old locals would feel who have lived in Hawaii longer then say 25 years that know a different reality.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM

@whtviper1,McFrostyJ

I have an interesting request. Since i have the inability to express what its is people like myself are saying about Hawaii. I would like you to one day goto The Hawaii Theatre located near Chinatown in Downtown Honolulu and goto a play, movie or concert. When your there just notice the restored theater(restored from its original look)get a feel for it, Experience it. While there think about what it was like to watch a wide screen movie there(its the oldest and last old hawaii movie house that even i was fortunate to experience). Notice the carvings and art work etc. For us it really wasn't the movie we saw that was important but how the experience made us feel.

The Historic Hawaii Theatre - Honolulu hawaii

Come back and tell us what you thought. For its the loss of the feelings that we experienced from these places that we grieve about and the inability to get the same feelings back from modern movie houses as a example that is the issue.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM

^^^^^

The Hawaii wasn't even the grandest of movie houses we had in the 60s, 70s, 80s.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
I will prob have many reactions from tears of sorrow
Fortunately for you, there is always YouTube.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Fortunately for you, there is always YouTube.
Bus' laugh! Funny guy eh?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
Quote:
@whtviper1,McFrostyJ

I have an interesting request. Since i have the inability to express what its is people like myself are saying about Hawaii. I would like you to one day goto The Hawaii Theatre located near Chinatown in Downtown Honolulu and goto a play, movie or concert. When your there just notice the restored theater(restored from its original look)get a feel for it, Experience it. While there think about what it was like to watch a wide screen movie there(its the oldest and last old hawaii movie house that even i was fortunate to experience). Notice the carvings and art work etc. For us it really wasn't the movie we saw that was important but how the experience made us feel.

Come back and tell us what you thought. For its the loss of the feelings that we experienced from these places that we grieve about and the inability to get the same feelings back from modern movie houses as a example that is the issue.
Sounds fun and I will check it out next time I'm there.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's the thing Hawaiian By Heart, I understand that you miss things being the way they were when you were a child. I really do! I feel the same way about what used to be a small town in Oregon that I lived in as a kid. It was one of those places where no one locked their doors. Everyone knew everyone else. Most of the town would show up for a little league game. As a child I was able to freely ride my bike for many miles without my parents having to worry about me. I loved it there and if it was still that way, I'd consider living there again. However, that little town has grown up. Most of the mom and pop shops are long gone. Only a small percentage of families that used to live there still do. Many of them were replaced by Californians who sold their house and could afford to move up here and buy two houses and a business. Do I wish things would have stayed the same in that small town? Sure! However, I also realize that because I was a child during my time there, I didn't have to worry about paying bills and going to work. I realize that when we look back at our childhood we tend to romanticize, remember the good and gloss over the bad. Still, it was great living there and wish it was the same today as I remember it was.

We live in a land of freedom. Those Californians had every right to move up here and open up businesses just as I have to right to choose where I live. With more and more people on this small little planet, we really can't expect things to stay the same forever. People are going to want to live in a place that they find most desirable. If enough people find that same place attractive and they can afford to live there, the population will grow. There is nothing we can or should do about it. I guess we could place restrictions on the amount of people that can live in an area but then that is only going to drive up prices and push out the locals.

All this said, there are many places both on the mainland and in Hawaii that still have that warm small town feel. If that's what you are looking forward then set a goal and work your butt off to get there. By the same token if your dream is the bight lights and a big city, you can also get there too if you work hard enough. We should cherish our memories from childhood. However we should not let those memories hold us back from making a beautiful future for ourselves, where ever that future may be.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 PM

31 posts, read 30,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am not a fan of big box stores but the reality is, if people never went into them and spent money, they would close up and go away. Apparently the people in the community like them enough to spend their money in them.

If you don't like what big box stores have done to rural America (including Maui), be an activist and inspire the community to boycott them. I predict however that rural America will vote on the side of cheaper prices and more products. It has happened over and over, all across America. People vote with their pocketbooks.

Again, I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the reality of how we live these days.
The fact that those people are doing it, in an honest fashion, and with their own money, MAKES it right. It's called Freedom.

Your prediction will come true, and properly so.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM

31 posts, read 30,082 times
Quote:
@whtviper1,McFrostyJ

Yet another example of "The runway behind you" syndrome, or if you like, "The burned Jet Fuel Syndrome".

The lesson is that it is only the runway in FRONT of you that matters, and only the fuel in your tanks, that matters. That which went out the jet pipe already, will do you no good.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 AM

177 posts, read 339,207 times
Quote:
@whtviper1,McFrostyJ

I'm glad to see it restored The (loss) abandonment of the old Vaudeville Theaters is not alone to Hawaii. It has happened on the mainland small towns as well I have witnessed many being re-purposed during my life First to Movie houses then to churches as one screen will not make it commercially viable. There is a company that is here where I currently live "Classic Cinema" that buys the old single screen theaters in small town Keeps them running as second run movie houses. Buys the failing businesses next door and expands by adding more screens in that space (they even are keeping the last drive in open) This company has just purchased almost one full block in Woodstock Ill and Tore down the other buildings and reconstructed the theater into a 8 screen multiplex New screens sound seats etc But they totally restored the interior of the original theater They did add more comfortable seats and a new projection system and sound But the interior looks like the 40's. When they rebuilt the buildings they kept the street view as it was in the 50's so it looks like old Woodstock rather then modern preformed concrete precast.

By the way they give senior discounts, and Matinee pricing before 5 PM. The reason the industry is going multiple small screen format is they generate profit from the concession stand and having constant foot traffic staggered keeps the employees busy. By the way they will lease and entire theater for a private event and do host live concert events (multicast events)

If you look at this model you really can have the best of both worlds Look and feel of paradise good economy with jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui