Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
The reason the industry is going multiple small screen format is they generate profit from the concession stand and having constant foot traffic staggered keeps the employees busy. By the way they will lease and entire theater for a private event and do host live concert events (multicast events)
The big fabulous movie palaces of the past are mostly IN the past now because everyday life has changed so dramatically since they were built. Vaudeville theaters were built before the radio era, when mixed variety shows were THE entertainment of the era. In other words, you had to leave your home to get your entertainment. Today that's inverted... you never need to leave home for entertainment, and increasingly people prefer not to. Home theaters with big flat screens and six channel sound, not to mention privacy and a handy kitchen and toilets, and a convenient "Pause" button deliver a superior experience for many.

When movies came in, vaudeville died, but the big palaces were repurposed to accommodate the change. Along the way they discovered air conditioning as an audience draw when home air conditioning was still years away from being common. Competing with radio they held raffles and giveaways to try to pry people away from the popular shows. Then when television came in and audiences began to dwindle they developed all kinds of gimmicks that people couldn't get at home, such as 3D and ultra wide screen features. But TV got color and larger screens, and soon the key audience for movie theaters was adolescents and young adults, who made sitting together in the dark sharing a movie experience together a key dating activity of the era.

But then cable TV and DVDs made entertainment content available at home that had never been available on broadcast channels, so chopping big theaters up into multi-screen mini-theaters became a way to draw a higher total audience count into a particular location than even a "blockbuster" could produce on a single big screen. Gone are the days when a film like E.T. (1982) could sit at the top of the box office charts for more than six months. Today only a monster hit stays in the first run houses more than about three weekends, and more and more people are just waiting for the latest big thing to show up online.

So the opulent, spectacular cinema palaces of the past are in decline and attrition, being revived by charitable donations in some places, or merely bulldozed in others. As was previously noted the theater owner typically gets little or nothing from ticket sales the first few weeks of a film's engagement, making their money almost entirely from concession stand sales... and t-shirts and souvenirs! About the only segment of the industry that is doing better than average are the cinemas with food and beverage service to the seats, particularly when beer and wine is sold. These attract an older crowd, with money to spend, who are looking for a premium experience.

But for parents with kids, in particular, going out to the theater today, versus renting a video at home, is an expensive proposition, as well as a hassle, best saved for special occasions. And that is what drives the "home entertainment cocoon" sector today.

My point being, nostalgia over the old movie theater experiences of the past is understandable, but not something to dwell on. Things change. You can't hang onto what was without missing what IS.

And as this inspirational writer puts it:
"Live then or now. it's impossible to be in two places at once."
~ Mary Anne Radmacher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,765,373 times
To forget histories lessons and the past is an convenient way to ignore the present wrongs.

A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.
Marcus Garvey

Keep all special thoughts and memories for lifetimes to come. Share these keepsakes with others to inspire hope and build from the past, which can bridge to the future.
Mattie Stepanek

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
George Santayana

"In history, a great volume is unrolled for our instruction, drawing the materials of future wisdom from the past errors and infirmities of mankind."
Edmund Burke

"Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results."
Machiavelli

Old 06-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Its because we have learned from the past and its teachings can we today have peace within ourselves and with others. Those who don't learn from history and its lessons only wish us to forget the past or ignore it so they can present you with the same lessons of the past giftwrapped in different wrapping paper but ending in the same results. Hawai'ian by Heart

Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 PM

Remembering the past, respecting the past, learning from the past is not living in the past.

Dwelling in the past, submerging yourself in the past, churning through the past over and over and over again to the exclusion of being present in the moment... that's living in the past.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Its because we have learned from the past and its teachings can we today have peace within ourselves and with others.
You've clearly failed the lesson on peace with yourself and others. Grade F.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You've clearly failed the lesson on peace with yourself and others. Grade F.
Naw im fine, the only ones really complaining are the mainland thinkers who have no real roots in Hawai'i and only want to package the same stuff to everybody just in different wrapping paper. I will also assume the stink really isn't me talkstorying on the past but like it was earlier when i was posting and minding my own business. Its your obsessive need to be important and #1, you hate anyone getting the spotlight or playing in what you feel is your sandbox. Thats why you argue with guys who have lived a lifetime in Hawai'i.

Thus you haven't learn from the past or history. It used to be that we celebrated others accomplishments in communities in Hawai'i etc etc. I guess that has also gone away for progress too?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Remembering the past, respecting the past, learning from the past is not living in the past.

Dwelling in the past, submerging yourself in the past, churning through the past over and over and over again to the exclusion of being present in the moment... that's living in the past.
Wow have you read the archives lately OD? How many different ways can you say "Hawai'i is expensive?" or "research research" Or give the same moving advice over and over? or talk about the 1000 different ways to talk about traffic, cost of living, condos etc etc?

About the only credit i can give you is at least you post a thread about culture, history or native hawaiian issues once in awhile that at least brings some color to this forum. But in some ways i believe you may be like viper in some ways.

What even funnier is we represent Hawai'i in these issues, but hawaii has always been liberal. But listening to those representing Hawai'i you would sware Hawai'i was a Republican conservative state.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Wow have you read the archives lately OD? How many different ways can you say "Hawai'i is expensive?" or "research research" Or give the same moving advice over and over? or talk about the 1000 different ways to talk about traffic, cost of living, condos etc etc?
But that is the nature of a relocation forum like this. People have similar questions about similar things... where should I live, what's it gonna cost, what are the schools like, how's traffic, what about my dogs, should I bring my car, what about crime, what about medical care????? And yet, each is a little different case, and the majority of people posting questions apparently haven't searched the archives and are starting from scratch with their info gathering, so we wind up discussing the same topics over and over, with variations.

Like I said, that's the nature of a relocation forum. That's fundamentally what it's here for.

Quote:
About the only credit i can give you is at least you post a thread about culture, history or native hawaiian issues once in awhile that at least brings some color to this forum.
Gee, the thing I feel most credit worthy for is that I post accurate information to answer questions about Hawai'i, and lots of people find what I post very helpful, as evidence by the rep points they've given and the hundreds of thanks they've posted here and DM'd to me. Sorry that is of no value to you.

And while I occasionally share posts on secondary "local color" topics that I hope will enrich people's knowledge of Hawai'i's history and culture, and possibly be interesting and entertaining at the same time. But I'm aware that not everyone finds them relevant, and I catch some criticism from time to time for posting them, so I try to "ration" them, and not push people to participate in my threads if they aren't naturally moved to do so.

Quote:
But in some ways i believe you may be like viper in some ways.
This statement is conclusive proof that you've completely lost it.

Quote:
What even funnier is we represent Hawai'i in these issues, but hawaii has always been liberal. But listening to those representing Hawai'i you would sware Hawai'i was a Republican conservative state.
That's not accurate. Prior to statehood Hawai'i was long a Republican stronghold, dominated and controlled by conservative big-money landowners and business investors. The rise of unionization, organized by working people to fight domination by the wealthy, played a big role in finally flipping political control of Hawai'i to the Democratic side, where it has largely remained since.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-15-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM

177 posts, read 339,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But that is the nature of a relocation forum like this. People have similar questions about similar things... where should I live, what's it gonna cost, what are the schools like, how's traffic, what about my dogs, should I bring my car, what about crime, what about medical care????? And yet, each is a little different case, and the majority of people posting questions apparently haven't searched the archives and are starting from scratch with their info gathering, so we wind up discussing the same topics over and over, with variations.

Like I said, that's the nature of a relocation forum. That's fundamentally what it's here for.

Gee, the thing I feel most credit worthy for is that I post accurate information to answer questions about Hawai'i, and lots of people find what I post very helpful, as evidence by the rep points they've given and the hundreds of thanks they've posted here and DM'd to me. Sorry that is of no value to you.

And while I occasionally share posts on secondary "local color" topics that I hope will enrich people's knowledge of Hawai'i's history and culture, and possibly be interesting and entertaining at the same time. But I'm aware that not everyone finds them relevant, and I catch some criticism from time to time for posting them, so I try to "ration" them, and not push people to participate in my threads if they aren't naturally moved to do so.

This statement is conclusive proof that you've completely lost it.

That's not accurate. Prior to statehood Hawai'i was long a Republican stronghold, dominated and controlled by conservative big-money landowners and business investors. The rise of unionization, organized by working people to fight domination by the wealthy, played a big role in finally flipping political control of Hawai'i to the Democratic side, where it has largely remained since.

Life itself is the Journey You remember History to honor your relatives/ancestors and their achievements and to learn from their mistakes and not do them over

One must remember that Human life is a sexually transmitted disease that always ends in death! You start life as a parasite of your mother, Most of the time loved and nurtured. You end up as a dependent of either your children or friends. It is how we treat everyone between these times that define us.

$ Expensive is a point of view. The only thing that we can not make more of is time. We all need to spend it wisely. Keep your friends close. Know your enemies and try to convert them to friends. If you can't do nothing to provoke them. Treat all strangers as potential friends. Share something with the less fortunate
Everyone has something to share, Money, Food, Knowledge, Companionship, Assistance.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post

One must remember that Human life is a sexually transmitted disease that always ends in death! You start life as a parasite of your mother

Confucius? Aristotle? Locke? Descartes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui