Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Apparently, Maui voters found "convicted felon" Elle Cochran to be more trustworthy than some of the "unconvicted felons" that have run against her.

Most of the details of Cochran's "felonious past" were covered in a 2010 Maui News article. Here's a link...
Cochran ‘not proud’ of her criminal past
It happened 25 years ago, I think at some point maybe we need to allow people to move beyond their past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:16 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It happened 25 years ago, I think at some point maybe we need to allow people to move beyond their past.
That’s kind of silly and disrespectful of people who managed to not commit felonies.

Your past defines you. One should not get a free pass in life.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,320,825 times
Quote:
She committed armed robbery, are you kidding me? We are talking about a major felony here, not some minor crime. Maybe you are right, maybe I’m too uptight about this. Maybe the same could be said for murders and rapists. They deserve a second chance. Hell, why draw any lines, pedophiles too should get a pass as long as it was 25 years ago.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Apparently, Maui voters found "convicted felon" Elle Cochran to be more trustworthy than some of the "unconvicted felons" that have run against her.

Most of the details of Cochran's "felonious past" were covered in a 2010 Maui News article. Here's a link...
Cochran ‘not proud’ of her criminal past
To put it in perspective, most McDonalds won’t hire a convicted felon. The hiring standard for McDonalds is higher than to hold political office.

Afterall, it’s a political position, she fits in perfectly. Like I said earlier, that is why I’m a conservative and a Constitutionalist. I only believe in a limited government with limited power. Politicians can’t be trusted in our individual lives.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That’s kind of silly and disrespectful of people who managed to not commit felonies. Your past defines you. One should not get a free pass in life.
So unless I think that felons should be stripped of all their rights I am disrespectful of people who haven't committed crimes?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
She committed armed robbery, are you kidding me? We are talking about a major felony here, not some minor crime. Maybe you are right, maybe I’m too uptight about this. Maybe the same could be said for murders and rapists. They deserve a second chance. Hell, why draw any lines, pedophiles too should get a pass as long as it was 25 years ago.
She stood by while her boyfriend attempted to rob four tourists. Apparently the court didn't think it was all that serious, she didn't do any jail time she was sentenced to probation and community service. And she can run for office because she she received a certificate of discharge from the state after she successfully completed her sentence of five years' probation and 200 hours of community service, making her eligible to run for and hold elected office.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
I don’t have empathy for drug addicts, I have empathy for those they hurt who was in their path. Listen, kudos to you for being a recovering drug addict and I am happy for you and those who are close to you and that you were able to make amends. I’m sure it is a lifelong struggle and every day is a battle. With that said, you know nothing about me and what I’m empathetic toward. Becoming a drug addict is not a mistake, it’s a choice. It’s a choice every recovering addict has to own. Why should I have empathy for such a person? My empathy is the least of their concerns. And then I should have empathy for such a person who put a gun in the face of another to take their property? Not going to happen. Have you ever had a gun in your face? Do you know the fear and knowing there is nothing you can do about this? There is nothing more fearful than being in an uncontrolled violent situation. There is no timeouts, there is no tap outs. All you can do is try and operate in that fear. That is who I am empathetic toward, the victim. Good for this candidate to turn her life around, but no, I will never feel empathy for her. So yes, her integrity is gone forever. Some choices you make last a lifetime. As the saying goes, you can sell your integrity for a penny, but could never buy it back with all the money in the world.

Doesn't sound like you have empathy at all.

And bravo to those that are being their addiction.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
That is absolutely nuts and it is more insane that Elle Cochran minimizes her crimes to only a mistake and that she is more empathetic because of it. That is a trait of a sociopath! Really, robbing tourists at gunpoint is empathetic? Robbing tourists is only a mistake? Running a stop sign is a mistake. Making an illegal left turn is a mistake. A restaurant getting your order wrong is a mistake. Robbing tourists at gunpoint is not a mistake, but rather intentional and evil. You made a conscious choice to victimize people. You choose to hurt others for personal gain. Robbing someone is not a “whoops, I just robbed someone at gunpoint.” Mind boggling that she has been a councilwoman for 25 years to boot.

KHNL : 'We all make mistakes in life': Maui mayoral candidate talks about past criminal conviction
If you find her running for office to be so objectionable, then, don't vote for her..

But wait a second, you CAN'T vote for her, as you DON'T live here. Seem to get a little shook up over political goings on in a state in which you aren't even a resident.

But thanks for your heartfelt concern, it's really appreciated

Old 08-06-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
She stood by while her boyfriend attempted to rob four tourists. Apparently the court didn't think it was all that serious, she didn't do any jail time she was sentenced to probation and community service. And she can run for office because she she received a certificate of discharge from the state after she successfully completed her sentence of five years' probation and 200 hours of community service, making her eligible to run for and hold elected office.

You do understand “acting in concert?” She is as complicit as the boyfriend who was holding the gun. Also don’t forget she tried wrestling the gun from the security guard. True, her sentence was light, it was a gift. You donalso recall OJ wasn’t convicted either. I guess that means he didn’t commit murder.

Yes, under Hawaii Law, she can run for office. Doesn’t make her felony conviction go away. Like I said earlier, the choices you make today follow you for a lifetime. For me, I couldn’t support someone for holding a position of such power and authority with such moral turpitude. Let’s not forget she wasn’t forthcoming about her past. Can you imagine a police department hiring a person with a felony conviction? Especially for armed robbery? No where in the United States that would ever happen.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Doesn't sound like you have empathy at all.

And bravo to those that are being their addiction.
Toward drug addicts? No, I don’t have empathy for them. I thought I was clear about that? Being a drug addict is not an accident or a mistake, and not a disease; being a drug addict is a choice. No one put a gun to any of their heads to shoot up, snort, or smoke. I have empathy for those who were in their path of destruction, not the drug addict.. This may sound harsh and it is. It is meant to be harsh. Sometimes tough love is the best love.

I also don’t have empathy for convicted felons for armed robbery, I have empathy for the victims of armed robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui