Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If you find her running for office to be so objectionable, then, don't vote for her..

But wait a second, you CAN'T vote for her, as you DON'T live here. Seem to get a little shook up over political goings on in a state in which you aren't even a resident.

But thanks for your heartfelt concern, it's really appreciated
You got it bud. I appreciate you appreciating my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That is absolutely nuts and it is more insane that Elle Cochran minimizes her crimes to only a mistake and that she is more empathetic because of it. That is a trait of a sociopath! Really, robbing tourists at gunpoint is empathetic? Robbing tourists is only a mistake? Running a stop sign is a mistake. Making an illegal left turn is a mistake. A restaurant getting your order wrong is a mistake. Robbing tourists at gunpoint is not a mistake, but rather intentional and evil. You made a conscious choice to victimize people. You choose to hurt others for personal gain. Robbing someone is not a “whoops, I just robbed someone at gunpoint.” Mind boggling that she has been a councilwoman for 25 years to boot.

KHNL : 'We all make mistakes in life': Maui mayoral candidate talks about past criminal conviction
It doesn't sound like she is minimizing them if you read the article. She talks about her prior crimes and takes responsibility for what she did in the past. She refers to the crimes as a 'mistake' because that is what they were. Is she supposed to call what she did an 'accomplishment'? Mistakes can be minor acts like forgetting an appointment to relatively major ones that land one in prison.

In my industry (manufacturing) some of the shops I've worked in have allowed us to hire people who have felonies on their records. It's taken on a case-by-case basis. Some of these people had felonies they had done years ago when they were younger and had completely changed--should I hold it against them and not hire them at age 30 for some stupid thing they did when they were 18 or 19? I never had any issues with people I hired who had prior felonies; they were all very grateful to have an employer that would give them a chance and were some of the best workers.

Yes, I am sure that she is more empathetic towards people in the justice system since she was in it herself after committing the crimes. People who have been through an experience or who have dealt with certain entities tend to feel for others who are going through it.

It would be silly to hold this against her forever. She has been open about it and has not had any further run-ins with the law since.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:12 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
You do understand “acting in concert?” She is as complicit as the boyfriend who was holding the gun. Also don’t forget she tried wrestling the gun from the security guard. True, her sentence was light, it was a gift. You donalso recall OJ wasn’t convicted either. I guess that means he didn’t commit murder.

Yes, under Hawaii Law, she can run for office. Doesn’t make her felony conviction go away. Like I said earlier, the choices you make today follow you for a lifetime. For me, I couldn’t support someone for holding a position of such power and authority with such moral turpitude. Let’s not forget she wasn’t forthcoming about her past. Can you imagine a police department hiring a person with a felony conviction? Especially for armed robbery? No where in the United States that would ever happen.
/yawn

Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 PM

139 posts, read 180,473 times
Quote:
You got it bud. I appreciate you appreciating my concern.
You may have too much self righteousness to make it in Hawaii.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
/yawn
Typical!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 PM

Nyfinestbxtf, is complicit kind of like the blue code of silence?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantastic View Post
Nyfinestbxtf, is complicit kind of like the blue code of silence?
What is the blue code of silence?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
What is the blue code of silence?
My mistake. I was under the impression that you were retired law enforcement...or, are you being obtuse?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantastic View Post
My mistake. I was under the impression that you were retired law enforcement...or, are you being obtuse?
I’m still active. I’m being obtuse, but there hasn’t been such a thing as the blue wall of silence since the 80’s.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
...there hasn’t been such a thing as the blue wall of silence since the 80’s.
Riiiiiiiight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui