Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:29 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Great post ComoAmero, And Nyfinestbxtf, that reply of yours is really something. Sometimes its best to just accept that you've lost an argument rather than attempting to undo what you've said.
Who made you the arbiter, the judge of this exchange? What is your expertise on these matters? You may not agree with my POV and that is fine, but to assume such authority is laughable. It is of my opinion that a convicted felon cannot be trusted in such a position of authority and it is a fact that most jobs including the fast food industry do not trust convicted felons to be in their employment. Another fact is and this is not opinion that it was not just a mistake that she attempted to rob tourists at gunpoint. Fact is, this was a conscious choice for personal gain. This robbery was intentional, not accidental. Many of my opinions are formulated by evidence, facts, and tendencies. Many of my opinions are not formulated on what feels good, tickles my ears, or appealing to the eye.
Point is, your evaluation of this exchange is bias and you would not fairly be able to determine the winner of this exchange.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 08-12-2018 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 AM

172 posts, read 146,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Who made you the arbiter, the judge of this exchange? What is your expertise on these matters? You may not agree with my POV and that is fine, but to assume such authority is laughable. It is of my opinion that a convicted felon cannot be trusted in such a position of authority and it is a fact that most jobs including the fast food industry do not trust convicted felons to be in their employment. Another fact is and this is not opinion that it was not just a mistake that she attempted to rob tourists at gunpoint. Fact is, this was a conscious choice for personal gain. This robbery was intentional, not accidental. Many of my opinions are formulated by evidence, facts, and tendencies. Many of my opinions are not formulated on what feels good, tickles my ears, or appealing to the eye.
Point is, your evaluation of this exchange is bias and you would not fairly be able to determine the winner of this exchange.
I agree 100%. There is a vast difference between giving a convicted felon a second chance to be a productive member of society and giving them the right to be a mayor or other elected official. I wonder what the victims of that crime would think if someday they came back to Maui and the same person who robbed them was mayor? I seriously doubt they would be thinking what a fantastic progressive world we live in.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
I agree 100%. There is a vast difference between giving a convicted felon a second chance to be a productive member of society and giving them the right to be a mayor or other elected official. I wonder what the victims of that crime would think if someday they came back to Maui and the same person who robbed them was mayor? I seriously doubt they would be thinking what a fantastic progressive world we live in.
Exactly. This is a convicted felon who committed a horrible crime. There are only a few crimes worse than armed robbery with a gun. A person who committed such a ergregious crime has no business in such power of authority. What is funny about this is, she probably wouldn’t qualify to work as a janitor in the government building the mayor’s office is in, but is qualified by the state to sit in that office as mayor. She is cleared to hold a position of authority over an entire county, but would not be cleared to clean the urinal in the very same building she would work out of.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Exactly. This is a convicted felon who committed a horrible crime. There are only a few crimes worse than armed robbery with a gun. A person who committed such a ergregious crime has no business in such power of authority. What is funny about this is, she probably wouldn’t qualify to work as a janitor in the government building the mayor’s office is in, but is qualified by the state to sit in that office as mayor. She is cleared to hold a position of authority over an entire county, but would not be cleared to clean the urinal in the very same building she would work out of.
Looks like that "convicted felon" beat out several other "qualified" candidates (including attorney, former Maui County deputy prosecutor, and current Maui County Council Member Don Guzman) to advance to the general election...
Victorino vs. Cochran -- Guzman is odd man out in Nov. 6 general election

Old 08-13-2018, 04:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,679,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Looks like that "convicted felon" beat out several other "qualified" candidates (including attorney, former Maui County deputy prosecutor, and current Maui County Council Member Don Guzman) to advance to the general election...
And this should settle the arguments here. 5,644 people in Maui voted for Cochran, and she has served on the County Council since 2011 (a position that she was elected to). So it really doesn’t matter what anyone on this forum thinks (unless they are a registered voter in Maui). The voters have spoken.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM

172 posts, read 146,651 times
Quote:
Does this somehow vindicate the notion that convicted felons should be given the power to make decisions on a governmental level?
Let us take Hawaii's awful public school system...it has been atrocious forever. Yet the same party who represents HGEA and the BOE will forever be elected into power thereby guaranteeing the same miserable results in perpetuity. Does the fact these representatives are elected somehow vindicate their failed ideology?
I guess being a success at being a failure counts for something...especially here in Hawaii.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So it really doesn’t matter what anyone on this forum thinks
Ok everyone. Let’s shut down the forum. Your opinion does not matter. Nothing more to say.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ok everyone. Let’s shut down the forum. Your opinion does not matter. Nothing more to say.
So quoting only a part of my post completely misses the point of my post. All these people on the forum (some of whom don't even live in Hawaii) are arguing about whether Ms. Cochran should be eligible to run for office. It really doesn't matter whether we like it or not. She was already been elected to County Council in Maui in 2011, and received 5,644 votes in the recent Mayoral primary. So what's the point of us continuing to argue about whether or not she should be allowed to run for office?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
And this should settle the arguments here. 5,644 people in Maui voted for Cochran, and she has served on the County Council since 2011 (a position that she was elected to). So it really doesn’t matter what anyone on this forum thinks (unless they are a registered voter in Maui). The voters have spoken.
Actually, Elle Cochran received 10,428 votes in last Saturday's primary election, compared to Mike Victorino's 13,541 votes.
Home district voters key for Victorino and Cochran

Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Actually, Elle Cochran received 10,428 votes in last Saturday's primary election, compared to Mike Victorino's 13,541 votes.
Home district voters key for Victorino and Cochran
Thanks for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui