Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 12:08 PM

9,270 posts, read 6,423,526 times

Advertisements

I don't think Bill Maher has changed much over the years. Rather, I think Elon Musk's tweet about the Democrat party moving far to the left applies here to Bill Maher as well. Bill appears to have more in common with the conservatives at times due to that shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 12:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,256,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I was disappointed with his show this weekend. His TDS will not allow him to be objective about Jan 6th.

I firmly believe it was not an insurrection and that Trump did nothing wrong.

Also, Krystal Ball was awful. I’ve watched her a little bit in the past, but I didn’t realize she was a full on left wing progressive. I disagreed with just about everything she said.

Bill is just frustrating. It seems like he’s about to get it, then he just slips back into left wing nonsense.

Dave Rubin comments on Bill quite a bit, saying the same thing. Right when you think he’s about to become red pilled, he snaps out of it.
I totally agree. Krystal Ball needs to retake an economics class. And learn how to carry on a conversation—not interrupt constantly.

I thought James Kirchick was very good, but I guess it’s because I found myself agreeing with him more. He is so right about going after your political foes using criminality as an excuse. That’s what they do in fascist countries, not in a democracy.

Was it really an insurrection? No, I don’t think so. If it was, this mob would have been armed to the teeth and would have made the shooters in Buffalo and Uvalde look like peanuts in comparison.

It was a protest that turned into a riot. And Bill Maher is irresponsible for conflating it with an insurrection.

I also liked the director, Danny Strong, who was his featured guest. We are going to get Hulu just to watch “Dopesick.” Mr. Strong refused to take the bait from Bill who tried to find the reason why the opioid crisis was much worse in MAGA country (it seems he was trying to hint that these poor souls could be easily manipulated to do drugs and vote for someone like Trump).

But Strong said that these parts of the country did lots of physical work—coal miners, factory workers, farmers, laborers—who had lots of injuries and therefore got prescribed oxy for their pain. They also spoke about how the government supported Perdue Pharma at first, and that it’s easy to see why we don’t trust the government giving us health advice.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:47 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,504,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I totally agree. Krystal Ball needs to retake an economics class. And learn how to carry on a conversation—not interrupt constantly.

I thought James Kirchick was very good, but I guess it’s because I found myself agreeing with him more. He is so right about going after your political foes using criminality as an excuse. That’s what they do in fascist countries, not in a democracy.

Was it really an insurrection? No, I don’t think so. If it was, this mob would have been armed to the teeth and would have made the shooters in Buffalo and Uvalde look like peanuts in comparison.

It was a protest that turned into a riot. And Bill Maher is irresponsible for conflating it with an insurrection.

I also liked the director, Danny Strong, who was his featured guest. We are going to get Hulu just to watch “Dopesick.” Mr. Strong refused to take the bait from Bill who tried to find the reason why the opioid crisis was much worse in MAGA country (it seems he was trying to hint that these poor souls could be easily manipulated to do drugs and vote for someone like Trump).

But Strong said that these parts of the country did lots of physical work—coal miners, factory workers, farmers, laborers—who had lots of injuries and therefore got prescribed oxy for their pain. They also spoke about how the government supported Perdue Pharma at first, and that it’s easy to see why we don’t trust the government giving us health advice.
You haven`t watched any of the hearings obviously. It was far from a spontaneous riot.
If we don`t like the way govt. would run healthcare we can vote for change. Can you replace the board of directors at your current healthcare giant? The top executive at UPMC who insures me, pulls sown $9 million a year and he`s never cured anyone of anything or set a broken bone.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:55 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,284,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Real TDS is the belief that Trump won the election. Trump did nothing wrong?
It takes a special type of person to be fined for robbing his own charity.
"Trump, nor his children Ivanka and Eric, nor his foundation, were found to have "stolen" or kept any of the donations, and so none of them "admitted to" any such actions. The New York Supreme Court explicitly acknowledged that all the funds raised for veterans groups had ultimately reached veterans groups."

gmagoo, please tell us what Trump has done that has personally made your life difficult. Also tell us how Biden has made your life better. That is really all you should be concerned with. Is your life safer now that they confirmed that 50 terrorists have attempted to come through the southern border? Do you enjoy the high price of fuel and the inflation since the Biden administration has moved into the WH? Do you like the education the children today are getting?

Old 06-18-2022, 01:11 PM

19,288 posts, read 16,812,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Yes, just watched the show on Today, Saturday, as we had taped it last night.

Washington Post deserved every single one of those jokes. And as a boomer, I’m loving my job security!
Boomer here, too. I caught up on what the hoopla was all about (since I'm not glued to social media all day) but holy cow, that (former) employee at the WP was bit off the chain and deserved the jokes about her. Bill's description of her and many in that generation was pretty good. He's definitely got it going on, if you like that sort of humor and haven't forgotten how to laugh. Can't wait to see what he has to say next about the current condition of the country.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:33 PM

13,649 posts, read 4,376,629 times
Bill is a liberal comedian. He has been all over the place the last 25 years. I just put into perspective his monologues. He was dead wrong on defending Bill Clinton and it wasn't just about a blow job and supported Hillary ignoring her many crimes and war mongering. He takes on the left because that party went nuts and are in power. If Trump had this economy, Bill would be much harder on Trump than he is with Biden which he could go on with jokes.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:48 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,281,520 times
Maher is reading the room, for two reasons

Reason one is that he needs to read the room to get ratings.

Reason two is that he wants to read the room so the Democrats can correct course.

The fact on the ground is that the Democrats are very unpopular now, which is the room Maher is reading.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:12 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,256,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
You haven`t watched any of the hearings obviously. It was far from a spontaneous riot.
If we don`t like the way govt. would run healthcare we can vote for change. Can you replace the board of directors at your current healthcare giant? The top executive at UPMC who insures me, pulls sown $9 million a year and he`s never cured anyone of anything or set a broken bone.
You do realize this committee has one goal, and that’s to hit Trump as hard as they can and hope to succeed in the court of public opinion. They have no desire to truthfully investigate.

I switched channels the first night, after seeing the clip of Trump saying let’s march to The Capitol. They tampered with that tape, omitting the section where he said let’s march “peacefully and patriotically.” Why did the committee do that? To make him sound bad? It’s so stupid because we had watched Hannity on Fox and he swore that the committee would doctor that portion of the tape.

My husband said to me that no way would the committee do that. So we tuned in. Well, Hannity can be as big as an alarmist as they come, but sad to say, he was right. At that point, my husband and I looked at each and agreed—this is a political hit job, nothing more.

Why spend money on this? Trump was impeached for this (although the Senate did not convict ). Are the democrats that afraid that he’ll run again and be elected so they have to persuade the DOJ to arrest him? So why wasn’t Maxine Walters investigated and arrested? And Chuck Schumer.

And if we’re investigating Loudermilk, let’s add shifty Schiff too. No, I am not watching the committee. It’s just democratic propaganda.

As for health insurance, I am a boomer that is covered by Medicare, so the best I can do if I don’t like the way it’s run is vote for a president whose values align with mine. The current secretary of HHS, which oversees Medicare is Xavier Becerra. Like your person at UPMC, Mr. Becerra also has never cured anyone of anything, nor set a broken bone. I don’t even think he stayed the night at a Holiday Inn.

But he was the AG for California, so I guess his law degree helps him run Medicare. Good ol’ Joe was proud to appoint the first Latino to the position. That’s nice, but hopefully he was chosen for his skills, rather than his ethnicity.

Being the good public servant that he is, he makes far less than those in corporate health care. Salary is about $225k. Net worth is estimated at $1.5 million.

Last edited by wizrap; 06-18-2022 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Change commit to convict

Old 06-18-2022, 05:33 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,354,461 times
Not that a certain guy is no longer prez, Maher is realizing that the Demwits are garbage. But DJT being in the spotlight takes his attention away from the Demwit dumpster fire to DJT.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:15 PM

14,870 posts, read 8,191,728 times
He will pick up on anyone that does crazy things, and call them all for it.
You have to have a sense of humor to appreciate it, whether it is about your political opposition or yourself. Can you appreciate the humor here on this one back in April?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MX37aA6lM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media