Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 PM

5,463 posts, read 3,092,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I certainly cannot be in anyone's shoes but my own...but wonder "what you worry about all day". Worry accomplishes nothing. I've done my share over a long life, and I still have concerns, but let so much go that I cannot change. The only thing I can change is ME.

As for being organized and being retired I have 24/7 to make progress with anything, perfection is not a word in my vocabulary.

Just had a cup of green tea with sugar/stevia sweetener and that gives me an afternoon lift. I have over the years found IF potassium levels are low one can be low too.
Perfection is crippling for some.
The discovery that they aren't God is too much.
But they aren't consciously aware of the conflict with reality.

Progress, not perfection is the watchword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,002,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Yep, my psychiatrist hinted at abuse, I didn't really see it but my sisters both said my mum was abusive to me.
I didn't notice because I dished it right back.

When you are young, it's next to impossible to see your mother, even an abusive one, as anything other than wonderful...

Old 03-04-2018, 07:02 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,910,025 times
I just posted in H&W on low cholesterol and depression. Any here have low cholesterol readings?

Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 12,002,741 times
This thread is for those suffering from depression...

Old 03-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This thread is for those suffering from depression...
Yes, and I was there for 10 yrs from 1991-2002....so I do know...And found what worked in my body after drugs and doctors for 10 yrs NOT helping me.

No positive suggestions/opinions wanted/needed here?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-05-2018 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM

15,783 posts, read 9,639,241 times
Quote:
I certainly cannot be in anyone's shoes but my own...but wonder "what you worry about all day". Worry accomplishes nothing. I've done my share over a long life, and I still have concerns, but let so much go that I cannot change. The only thing I can change is ME.
So you think telling someone "Don't worry. It accomplishes nothing" is a magic cure all for their worrying and anxiety? I find that post a little demeaning and belittling actually. It's a little like telling a depressed person to "be happy." Actually, it's exactly like that.

SMH

Old 03-05-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you think telling someone "Don't worry. It accomplishes nothing" is a magic cure all for their worrying and anxiety? I find that post a little demeaning and belittling actually. It's a little like telling a depressed person to "be happy." Actually, it's exactly like that.

SMH
I've been in years of mind work and enough discussions of worry and what it accomplishes, more worry. There is concern and I do have it, but can only change myself.

Also I work to count the blessings and good days/times I've had and still do and don't worry about what I can't do anymore, as there is a lot I can't do. But keeping my brain working good is #1 in my life. This didn't come to me overnight, decades of life and trying new things.

Just another cheap inexpensive remedy is daily meditation..what it can do to power up the brain, I've been doing it off and on for many years. Some nights before I go to sleep a simple meditation and often when I wake up again a simple silent meditation. And often during the day. MOST of us in the U.S. don't even think of this that is used in many countries thru the world.

I wish all good days for you all.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-05-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I've been in years of mind work and enough discussions of worry and what it accomplishes, more worry. There is concern and I do have it, but can only change myself.

Also I work to count the blessings and good days/times I've had and still do and don't worry about what I can't do anymore, as there is a lot I can't do. But keeping my brain working good is #1 in my life. This didn't come to me overnight, decades of life and trying new things.

Just another cheap inexpensive remedy is daily meditation..what it can do to power up the brain, I've been doing it off and on for many years. Some nights before I go to sleep a simple meditation and often when I wake up again a simple silent meditation. And often during the day. MOST of us in the U.S. don't even think of this that is used in many countries thru the world.

I wish all good days for you all.
I never gave it much credit but there is objective proof for the veracity of meditation.
Its measurable and not woowoo.

I learned a form of contemplation and meditation in AA, I do my own thing but its highly encouraged.

The head of psychiatry in the UK said spiritual meditation is the best kept secret in psychiatry.
If it didn't work it would be front page news.!

My constant reading on the subject, after getting free of my own crippling depression, is the mind shapes brain development.

There's a school of thought that claims we are prey to chemical imbalance, this is a correlate, not a cause. Chemical imbalance is not primary. Its real and ive been there, zoloft probably saved my life but wasnt the answer.

I never changed anything until it hurt too much to stay where I was in my state of being.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, and I was there for 10 yrs from 1991-2002....so I do know...And found what worked in my body after drugs and doctors for 10 yrs NOT helping me.

No positive suggestions/opinions wanted/needed here?
We all have our own experience, I had a very sympathetic psychiatrist but after 2 yrs it was obvious I wasn't satisfied stunting myself with medication. It probably kept me alive but I wanted more, I wanted to be free.

At a certain point some people are beyond human aid, nothing they can touch, see , hear, taste or swallow can solve their problem.

The mind is generally beyond physical reach but responds to the spiritual or non physicalism approach, a very good therapist can be a guide if they have recovered themself.
A non recovered cannot guide, a guide can only lead to the extent they have gone themself.
Just as a river cannot flow higher than its own headwater.

Jung said man is more than intellect, emotion and 2 dollars worth of chemicals, so recovery entails more.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:10 PM

105 posts, read 86,213 times
I'd love to find a good answer to the anxiety and depression I'm currently experiencing. I've struggled with it for most of my adult life, but it has become nearly unbearable these past few months.

Last fall, I was devastated by the death of my niece in a car accident. A couple of weeks after that, I had major surgery with a very difficult recovery. About the time I started feeling better, my husband started having health problems, and I'm still not sure he will recover.

I don't have a family type doctor and we live in a rural area with few mental health resources. Our finances are not good right now, which also limits my options for getting help.

So far I'm using the exercise and prayer methods of coping but many days I don't feel those are of much help. My sympathy to others trying to get through another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health