Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:02 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
As a recovering alcoholic IMO food has nothing to do with addiction. Food doesn't change a personality. Substance abuse does whether it's alcohol/drugs.

Of course eating healthy helps a person feel better but that has nothing to do with addiction unless a person is overweight which is obviously not healthy. I never met an overweight person who's personality changed after eating a lot or eating junk foods.
I agree that personality has a lot to do with it and eating a healthy diet will most likely not change your personality. But there's a lot more to it than personality. Saying that personality alone is the cause is like saying addiction is genetic. If it's genetic and you're in recovery, your brain must be more powerful than your genes. That's exactly what the science of epigenetics would say: "Genes are not our destiny".

The following book illustrates the powerful effect that the gut has on mental functioning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Book...client=gws-wiz

"The Mind Gut Connection: How The Hidden Conversation Within Our Bodies Impacts Our Mood, Our Choices, and Our Overall Health."

Notice it says "Our Mood", and "Our Choices". Why do people start taking drugs or alcohol to begin with. Some may be depressed or experiencing bad moods and decide that they need something to lift them up. So they become addicted, but healthier food choices can lift their mood and/or depression which may help them to make better choices.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 01-25-2022 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 09:13 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My husband was addicted due to needing a high dose of painkillers for over a year. It was known in advance he would be addicted. He had to quit cold turkey due to his job and he was very volatile for about 3 months.

Some things can't be helped and you just got to power through them.

Though I am guessing he was using them illegally?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 01-25-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-25-2022, 09:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Easier said than done if you haven't lived in her shoes . I am dealing with a husband who has Bi-polar. Although he takes meds and has sought other forms of help it is not easy to just give up on them.
Establishing healthy boundaries doesn't necessarily mean "giving up on" the other person in a relationship. I just need to point that out.

Regardless of the situation - we have to accept that first and foremost, our responsibility is only for ourselves. We can't change other adults and it's not even our job to do so. We can only change our own behavior.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:44 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Regardless of the situation - we have to accept that first and foremost, our responsibility is only for ourselves.

IMO O.P.s responsibility is to provide a loving & safe environment for her child 1st…AND that means without a drug addicted dad in the house. When she talks about her vows, it sounds like denial & enabling IMO. She isn’t thinking about her child.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO O.P.s responsibility is to provide a loving & safe environment for her child 1st…AND that means without a drug addicted dad in the house. When she talks about her vows, it sounds like denial & enabling IMO. She isn’t thinking about her child.
Of course - I'm just talking about the dynamics between two adults. That's why I said this:
Quote:
Regardless of the situation - we have to accept that first and foremost, our responsibility is only for ourselves. We can't change other adults and it's not even our job to do so. We can only change our own behavior.
She can't change her husband and it's not her job to do so. That was my point. I'm not even addressing all the other issues. If I started talking about how we should safeguard children in a marriage, there's no telling how the OP would twist it to accommodate enabling her husband.

In an airplane, we're told to put our own oxygen mask on before trying to help others, including children.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:00 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:

In an airplane, we're told to put our own oxygen mask on before trying to help others, including children.

Ofc…but the O.P. is caught up in talking about her vows & asking stuff about her husband. So…IMO that has to be spelled out. I worry for the babies & children in these kinds of situations.

Quote:

Regardless of the situation - we have to accept that first and foremost, our responsibility is only for ourselves.

AND….you said her “only” responsibility was to herself. But it’s not when you have a baby.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:02 AM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttstyl4v View Post
Since I last posted, my husband promised me that if he doesn't get clean on his own by the end of this month, he would go to rehab for at least 2 weeks. He was normal yesterday. He was the most wonderful dad to my son as he's been since we got married. This morning I wake up and he is super irritated, saying that I shouldn't follow him all the time, I shouldn't check his pockets, etc. He said he needs to get gasoline in case the power goes out. But I told him not drive anywhere as we had a deal. He was congested. Irritation is one of symptoms of withdrawal. I have to say I've been looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms. I am one of those women who turn to google to find out everything about opioid addiction and withdrawal. But there is one thing I don't understand. My husband is dozing off standing in the kitchen again. His eyeballs are rolling up, his knees are bent. He swears he didn't take anything, and his state is a withdrawal symptom. Is he lying to me? Did he take something or is this a withdrawal symptom?
The nodding off and eye rolling are from using not withdrawl.
Please put yourself and child first. Best of luck to you. This is really a tough situation and I’m so sorry.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:24 PM

880 posts, read 563,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttstyl4v View Post
Hello. I am not sure if I am posting in the right group. My husband was taken to a hospital last year. They told me my husband had an opioid overdose. I couldn't believe what I heard. I was shocked.

I've been counting days since the 1st of January, and it seems like this withdrawal will never stop. I don't even know if it is a withdrawal, or he took another dose of painkillers. He has been a different person for 10 days straight.

Anyway, I feel like on the 1st day of the New year I lost my husband. He was the most wonderful man I could dream of. There was always kindness in his eyes. He was the most hardworking man I've ever seen. We had so many plans. I don't have friends (it's a long story). First, I was mad, I screamed at him. I was angry at whoever was responsible for this. Then I talked to my mother, and she told me to forgive him. He is a sick person. I am filled with devastation, sorrow and utter sadness. I keep asking God why. I got married relatively late in my life. I don't know if there is still something left off my husband.

I vowed to make it work through good times or bad. I don't know if I was ready for this. I just want our happy life back but I don't know if I have strength to fight. Will the family (me and our baby) pull him out of this mental disease?

Is he working towards recovery? With drug addiction, it has to be something they want to change. You cannot change them... but you can be there to help them WHEN they want the change, but not until then. They often have to hit rock bottom first, and sometimes that means death.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:17 PM

613 posts, read 1,016,542 times
There's a group called Nar-anon for families of addicts. If it's anything like Al-anon it's supposed to give you some peace of mind and the support you need to cope.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:23 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
The nodding off and eye rolling are from using not withdrawl....
If the OP has been reading about opiate addiction, she knows this.

She also knows that their perfect life is gone, and she needs to decide if what is left is worth it or not.

She has a child to care for as well as her own life to consider.

Time for come-to-Jesus talk with her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health