Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,203 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am not sure if I am posting in the right group. My husband was taken to a hospital last year. They told me my husband had an opioid overdose. I couldn't believe what I heard. I was shocked.

I've been counting days since the 1st of January, and it seems like this withdrawal will never stop. I don't even know if it is a withdrawal, or he took another dose of painkillers. He has been a different person for 10 days straight.

Anyway, I feel like on the 1st day of the New year I lost my husband. He was the most wonderful man I could dream of. There was always kindness in his eyes. He was the most hardworking man I've ever seen. We had so many plans. I don't have friends (it's a long story). First, I was mad, I screamed at him. I was angry at whoever was responsible for this. Then I talked to my mother, and she told me to forgive him. He is a sick person. I am filled with devastation, sorrow and utter sadness. I keep asking God why. I got married relatively late in my life. I don't know if there is still something left off my husband.

I vowed to make it work through good times or bad. I don't know if I was ready for this. I just want our happy life back but I don't know if I have strength to fight. Will the family (me and our baby) pull him out of this mental disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 05:26 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
"for better or for worse, in sickness and in health..."

Old 01-10-2022, 06:13 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
...until it destroys the other person as well.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:10 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
I wish you well. My fiance' is my only friend really too, so I know how that aspect feels. (However, I can stand alone if I have to & won't tolerate bad treatment from anyone).

So, you're aware he takes painkillers, but didn't realize how much? Are you two looking for a drug rehab program for him to get into OR is he not taking any of this that seriously?

Old 01-10-2022, 12:27 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Opioid addiction is a physical disease that can create a mental disease but it doesn't start with mental. I really wish you well because this is a very difficult situation. He must want to get help and that's very tricky.

It's true it would be nice for you to forgive him but it's going to take far, Far more than just forgiving him to get this problem resolved.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Is he in rehab now?

Old 01-12-2022, 02:11 PM

He refuses rehab. His mother is saying what they do in rehab is just getting him addicted on another opioid that doesn't give them side effects. She is also sure that he would get out of this on his own.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:17 PM

I am just so devastated. We had so many plans. One of our plans was to have a second baby. It isn't getting any better. How could someone change so quickly. My heart goes out to others in my shoes too. I am doing quite a lot of research. Thank you.

Last edited by gttstyl4v; 01-12-2022 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 05:47 AM

762 posts, read 452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttstyl4v View Post
I am just so devastated. We had so many plans. One of our plans was to have a second baby. It isn't getting any better. How could someone change so quickly. My heart goes out to others in my shoes too. I am doing quite a lot of research. Thank you.
Why bring another child into this toxic environment, please consider someone else besides your hubby. Major concern should be taking care of you so you are a parent who is focused and present. He is not capable of being a husband or a father as long as addiction rules his life. Google Alanon and work with a sponsor. The only person you can change is yourself. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
He refuses rehab. His mother is saying what they do in rehab is just getting him addicted on another opioid that doesn't give them side effects. She is also sure that he would get out of this on his own.
Quote:

Well, always remember...YOU have the power over your own life, so no matter how long you've been married OR what kind of plans you had in life, if things get bad & he won't keep up his part of the marriage such as getting better, going to rehab, etc., then YOU must take action over YOUR life so you can have contentment. Marriage is a partnership. It's not fair if one spouse is good trying to have a good life while the other just doesn't care, slacks off, does things to detriment & bring down the whole relationship, etc.

It's also NOT up to you to fix him. People can talk till they're blue in the face, but the person themselves have to want to change. So, you're not obligated to, "hang in there & see what happens" after giving him time or chance to improve. YOU take control of your life & if that means getting divorced & starting a new life, then so be it, so don't be afrid of that. Life's way too short to wallow in misery for long. That's why I always believe that women should have a good education to be able to stand on their own 2 feet & be financially independent at all times, so when things happen down the road, they don't have to put up w/ horrendous squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health