Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

Try excersising for an hour, then take a nice hot bath before bed. Sounds like all of you could use some meditating. Need to release pent up stress. We go through the same thing up here in AK during the summer. It does not get dark all summer, and a person just keeps going and going. Then after a couple months it's big time spiral to disaster and burnt to a crisp. I find that getting out in the woods or near a lake for a couple hours and just relaxing/meditating really slows me down and I can zonk right out. Also no coffee just tea helps me. I simply refuse to resort to eating pills for anything. Good luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
Yeah I don't like the idea of medicating the problem either.

Just simply for the fact, I like to do things the all natural way!

And not homeopathic medicines either... I mean have my body adjust itself.

I remember one time on Scientific American Frontier with Alan Alda, he did this show on how there are places that can "adjust" your body's internal clock. And actually help you fall asleep at the time you want.

It was really interesting.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I went to bed at 11. Here I am. I have battled this for years. A few years back I went through a really rough time where I could only sleep for 30 minutes at a time. Lasted for many months. The doctors could not medicate me to sleep. They tried all of the sleeping type meds, anti-depressants, and even heavy narcotics.

I quit worrying about it. Some nights I get sleep, and some nights I do not. There does not seem to be any pattern to it. It does not make a difference what I eat, how much physical activity I engage in, or what is going on in my world.

Momentarily I will be playing mah jong solitaire or perhaps mindlessly playing regular solitaire. In about 45 minutes I will go back to bed. I might have a bowl of cereal.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I think some people don't need that much sleep. Alot of times I put on the mp3 player and some ear buds and let it play all night. Just some good old mellow tunes or space music. Knocks me right out.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I'm glad this doesn't only happen to me! Yes, misery loves company! I have anxious episodes where I can't fall asleep because I'm thinking about dumb things (what if there's an earthquake in the next thirty seconds?). If I'm awake too long it's as if my body says, "Oh, I'm supposed to be awake!" and that's when the itchiness starts, and I'm either too hot or too cold. The covers are too twisted, but I'm too lazy to get up and remake the bed... I could go on and on. It's after 2:00 a.m., and I have to get up at 5:50 to be at work by 7:00.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I've had trouble sleeping all my life. My mother says I didn't sleep the first two years of my life I never took naps as a kid. I am VERY hyper. I also have bad allergies that I think cause part of it. I have tried all the OTC stuff Tylenol PM and everything else that says helps you sleep, I was awake ALL night! I tried the other home remedies and they didn't work. Now I take Ambien every night. Not much, I break one in half then break that in half so it's only about 3mg. But if I don't take it I don't sleep.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM

I managed to get 3 hours of sleep!

Pretty hard to have the motivation to stay awake! But I did all day.

Ate 3 meals. And now I wait... To go back to sleep lol!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Has anyone ever had trouble with this?

I've been having bad insomnia for the past couple weeks. And it's really starting to bug me.
It's rare for me. Usually once I climb into bed I lay there warming the sheets and letting the animals settle around me and then will often find myself thinking about different things, next thing I know it's morning.
But when I do have trouble and get restless, I've noticed that if the house is too warm, I'll wake up too warm even if I went to bed comfortably and that makes me uncomfortable and I get squirmy and wake up.

One of the things I've noticed is to play it like a kid would sometimes when I can't sleep...sleep somewhere your parents wouldn't have allowed it when you were a kid, like in front of the fireplace, or....
-Grab a nice comforter and stretch out on a couch you consider comfortable and just enjoy the departure from the norm. This usually puts me to sleep.
-Grab the same comforter and if your house has floor vents for heating, grab a pillow and stretch out on the floor with the blanket over the vent and enjoy the heat directly on your skin. Puts me right to sleep.
-Change your routine and go to bed early and lie in bed and read awhile and then let yourself forget the world and nap. You may wake up later of course, but you'll have also closed some of the sleep gap and you may feel more rested by the morning as you probably will fall asleep again in the late night.

I know others say don't drink water or coffee, etc. I do hate being awakened by having to pee, but coffee itself has no effect on me! Sometimes my cats will paw my face at 3am and that wakes me and they get hurled out of the bedroom and the door gets closed.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
It's rare for me. Usually once I climb into bed I lay there warming the sheets and letting the animals settle around me and then will often find myself thinking about different things, next thing I know it's morning.
But when I do have trouble and get restless, I've noticed that if the house is too warm, I'll wake up too warm even if I went to bed comfortably and that makes me uncomfortable and I get squirmy and wake up.

One of the things I've noticed is to play it like a kid would sometimes when I can't sleep...sleep somewhere your parents wouldn't have allowed it when you were a kid, like in front of the fireplace, or....
-Grab a nice comforter and stretch out on a couch you consider comfortable and just enjoy the departure from the norm. This usually puts me to sleep.
-Grab the same comforter and if your house has floor vents for heating, grab a pillow and stretch out on the floor with the blanket over the vent and enjoy the heat directly on your skin. Puts me right to sleep.
-Change your routine and go to bed early and lie in bed and read awhile and then let yourself forget the world and nap. You may wake up later of course, but you'll have also closed some of the sleep gap and you may feel more rested by the morning as you probably will fall asleep again in the late night.

I know others say don't drink water or coffee, etc. I do hate being awakened by having to pee, but coffee itself has no effect on me! Sometimes my cats will paw my face at 3am and that wakes me and they get hurled out of the bedroom and the door gets closed.
It's next to impossible for me to sleep in the Winter...

Sometimes it gets too hot.. Then i get cold so I have to cover back up... Then I get too hot again... Then too cold...

That's why I like the summer. A nice fan breeze and I'm happy! Could sleep all day... But I likes the summer!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
It's next to impossible for me to sleep in the Winter...

Sometimes it gets too hot.. Then i get cold so I have to cover back up... Then I get too hot again... Then too cold...

That's why I like the summer. A nice fan breeze and I'm happy! Could sleep all day... But I likes the summer!
Turn the thermostat down just before you go to bed, drop it to 62F. By the time you get too warm in bed, your house should compensate by having cooled off. Just keep the comforter handy where the subconscious/unconscious you can grab it in your sleep and pull it up if you get cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health