Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It's nothing personal. I'm just finding myself becoming increasingly-ADDICTED to this forum. I tried backing off a bit in the past, and it didn't work for more than a couple of days. I need to live a REAL life too!
I understand. Look at the number of my postings and you'll see I spend too much time on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Nomoresnow... Anti-depressants usually take about 2-3 to build up in your system before youo show improvement.
Are you sure your husband is on the "correct" meds for his particular type of depression?
How does he function at work? It seems weird that he would be ok for only part of his day. Do the meds make him sleepy or is there a peak period where the effect drops?
It must be very hard for him and I'm sure it has to be for you too.
I hope he can find the right mix and dosage to snap out of it.
Thanks, VPCats. He's tried a number of things, so it's not our first trip around the block, if you know what I mean. Either the meds don't work at all, or they work, but make him physically sick or "zombie him out" as he says. It's been a long haul, but he keeps plugging at it. Keep your fingers crossed that it kicks in for hm soon. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't love him so much. When he's himself, he's the greatest guy in the world.

He says he's ok at work, just by the time he gets home, he's beat. But I can tell it's more than that. I know that exercise helps. If only I could get him to get moving. Oh, well. Thanks for the good thoughts, folks.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
I had major depression for about 20 years. I tried a few meds, but it didn't do anything. Then a couple of years later decided to try meds again and went on lexapro. I was on that for about a year and my depression went away! I also went through grad school to become a therapist (that's what I do now), and that also helped me figure things out. I have been off meds for a few years and feel great! I never even went through counseling, however, i do recommend it.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Thanks, VPCats. He's tried a number of things, so it's not our first trip around the block, if you know what I mean. Either the meds don't work at all, or they work, but make him physically sick or "zombie him out" as he says. It's been a long haul, but he keeps plugging at it. Keep your fingers crossed that it kicks in for hm soon. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't love him so much. When he's himself, he's the greatest guy in the world.

He says he's ok at work, just by the time he gets home, he's beat. But I can tell it's more than that. I know that exercise helps. If only I could get him to get moving. Oh, well. Thanks for the good thoughts, folks.
Exercise is an absolute high. Honest. Proven fact that it stimulates the endorphins in the brain which are what make you feel happy.
It's so difficult to be feeling down and think about forcing yourself to do anything but if somehow you can push some buttons and get him to start.... maybe the combination of meds and exercise will make a big difference. Does bribery work on your husband?? :-)) It will be good for you too.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:51 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
Quote:
Exercise is an absolute high. Honest. Proven fact that it stimulates the endorphins in the brain which are what make you feel happy.
It's so difficult to be feeling down and think about forcing yourself to do anything but if somehow you can push some buttons and get him to start.... maybe the combination of meds and exercise will make a big difference. Does bribery work on your husband?? :-)) It will be good for you too.
I believe you, and I also believe it's a process. (moderate expectations)
Long brisk walks with a hot coffee and toasted bagel as a reward.
When the batteries start to feel charged tackle an issue.
Strange as it seems I find putting a smile on someones face can have a boomerang effect. Sometimes we have to make our world smaller to relive
stress. Other times .. larger to bring in something positive. I figure that out
during the walk.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Oh, believe me, I know what a difference it makes. I go to the gym and if I miss more than a couple of days, I can definitely see my mood go downhill. Unfortunately, bribery's not an option. He's a federal officer and immune. :-(
And, no, I don't want to get into a discussion about how "some" federal officers aren't immune. ;-)

Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,276 times
Quote:
Oh, believe me, I know what a difference it makes. I go to the gym and if I miss more than a couple of days, I can definitely see my mood go downhill. Unfortunately, bribery's not an option. He's a federal officer and immune. :-(
And, no, I don't want to get into a discussion about how "some" federal officers aren't immune. ;-)

Nomoresnow

Unfortunately, probably the most misunderstood aspect about depression is that no one and nothing can "wish it away", "shrug it off", or "snap out of it."
This is especially true for the depressed person himself. Believe me, we don't like being like this, it is very painful...it is more of a despair. We try talking ourselves out of it...saying "today will be a new day", etc., but like a physical ailment that is real, one can't make it just dissapear.

One common comment that I have noticed loud and clear on this thread - is the mention of SLEEP. I thought I was the only one. I could literally sleep my life away. If it weren't for my 10 year old son, ..... I don't know.....but I get up and function and put a smile on for him.

I have been to therapy on and off for many years. I haven't been for 2 years because of insurance. Because I have been very depressed again lately, it is difficult to even get up the energy to call a therapist.

In my opinion, anti-depression meds are absolutely necessary for a change to happen. I've been on Effexor and Lamictal for a while, and have recently added Lexapro, which I "think" is helping a bit....altho my life is in such chaos that I can't tell where I would really be....with or without it.

Exercise? God, I wish I could get up the energy. The problem is that fundamentally, a depressed person just doesn't care...about himself or anything that much. However, I care and love my son more than life itself. He is the ONLY thing that keeps me "here".

I was always the happy-to-lucky one too....but behind closed doors, suffered so terribly.

God bless you all. There is soooo much depression...it just isn't talked about much.

Let's keep in touch.

Nancy

Old 02-22-2007, 03:46 PM

364 posts, read 526,727 times
I have severe depression. Only my immediate family and really knows about it. I have had it since I was a child. I believe it is genetic as well as circumstancial. Most people around me think I should be the happiest person. People have always asked me "What's wrong" or "Why don't you smile more?" So my unhappiness has been obvious. People think if you drive a nice car, travel, wear designer clothes you should be happy. All that crap that money buys. Money can't buy happiness; it can only make your life easier.

I used to see a therapist. That was useless for me. He just made me feel worse. I don't believe in med's. I see them as (and this is just what I feel is best for me; I am not posing my thoughts for anyone else!) covering up my true feelings. I also believe some people are just destined to be miserable. I don't know why. But I know I will never be really "happy". Of coarse that is a complicated word with different meanings. My parents have always tried to do anything then can to make me happy. As a child and still as an adult my father constantly asks me "What can I do to make you happy". He can't. I can't. Won't happen.

And as with some others I go through my spells. The most joy I get is from taking care of my dogs and working with the Humane Society. The issue of animal cruelty affects me. There is so much negativity and awful things going on in this world I could never be one of those care free happy go lucky types.

I hate to sound like the dume and gloom here but my belief is for some... you may never be happy. You may never really enjoy life. I once talked to another depressed woman who said "There is no me left. This disease ate it up. I don't even remember me". That is how I feel. No me- just misery.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
These are some things I do to keep depression at bay - Change all light bulbs to 'natural light', eat well including fruits and vegs and whole wheat, go the extra mile with food specialties such as flavored hot cholocate instead of plain, take vitamins, use scented candles, take fresh air, be in nature, walk or swim, hot tub or long bath, human touch (this is why I'm a big hugger), spiritual connections especially to be around others, and most importantly soothing or jazz music.

One thing I think causes suffering today is our isolation. Inviting a person or two over for a 'nothing special' dinner could go a long way in fighting lonliness which I think adds to depression.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-22-2007 at 06:12 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
LOLLL. Not even a little bribe from the loving spouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health