Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:27 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,498 times

Advertisements

I have for 15 years altho I am a "high functioning" depressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,299,151 times
I'm not clinically depressed, altho, like everybody, I have my days. Hubby is, tho. ANd every year at this time, he goes deeper into his hole. To add to the seasonal issue, the dr. changed his meds about 2 weeks ago and it either isn't working at all or it hasn't kicked in yet. I worry about him so and ache for him. I would do anything to give him peace of mind. He gets home from work at 4:30, I get home at 5. He's sleeping. House is dark. Not a welcoming sight. He gets up long enough to eat, we watch an hour of TV, then he might get on the computer for 15 minutes or so, then, before I know it, he's asleep again. About the only time we get to visit is first thing in the morning for about 10 minutes at breakfast. I try to get him to do things, but it's like pulling teeth. If it's bad for me, it's got to be hell for him.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,184,342 times
Nomoresnow... Anti-depressants usually take about 2-3 to build up in your system before youo show improvement.
Are you sure your husband is on the "correct" meds for his particular type of depression?
How does he function at work? It seems weird that he would be ok for only part of his day. Do the meds make him sleepy or is there a peak period where the effect drops?
It must be very hard for him and I'm sure it has to be for you too.
I hope he can find the right mix and dosage to snap out of it.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,801,304 times
Nancy,
I had severe depression almost 8 years ago. I was on meds (Xanax) for about 6 months.. but I decided to take myself off of them because I didn't want to be chemically controlled. I wrote. I wrote my a** off.
Sometimes I would write something and burn it to symbolize it is gone and out mf my life.
Sometimes I would write and then look back at it the next day to see how trivial it was that I was upset over that situation.
And alot of my writing I kept.
I had a great family and friend support system that would let me vent anytime and anywhere.
If you need to talk to anyone.. you can always talk to me. I am more than willing to help someone out

Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,104,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I have for 15 years altho I am a "high functioning" depressive.

Have you seen a therapist? Sometimes just talking about how you feel and figuring out why will help, especially if it's a "situational" depression. Clinical depression definitely takes medication and even then, counseling is a good idea. Also, there are a lot of antidepressants out there which are perfectly safe if taken appropriately.

Several years ago I went through several phases of situational depression and thankfully, I had a good therapist (had to go to more than one to find him though!). My primary care doc prescribed Zoloft for me but it made me so sick I couldn't take it. There was another one that I took for a short time period and seemed to help during the "crisis". But it was the therapist who helped the most!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 AM

212 posts, read 793,105 times
I am clinical depression too. I have struggled with it for years and I have good periods and very dark, hopeless periods. I am unsure what "high functioning depressive" is, but here is some info on me. Most people don't know how depressed I am. I act cheerful, make jokes, I'm the "class clown", I make people laugh, but the feelings of worthlessness, intense sadness, never being good enough, dispair and utter hopelessness just don't go away. My depression is so much better when I am around people. If I stay busy I can usually hide it, but when I am at home or alone, I cry (sob) and I sleep. I feel like the world, my family, my kids..... would be better off if I were dead. I have had days that I just couldn't get motivated to do anything but sleep and lay on the couch. Forget showering or getting dressed. Right now I am off my medication (due to lack of insurance) and I have really struggled to "Keep it together". I know medication is not the answer for everyone, but it is for me. I can see and feel a difference when I have the right medication. It doesn't make my depressed feelings go away, but makes them bearable, and I am able to cope. Counseling has helped me too. Being able to "unload" on someone not personally involved is a relief. I have also learned to recognise rational and irrational thoughts that come with depression. Does that make me a high functioning depressive? What ever you do, don't do it alone. Reach out to someone, because you can make it through the darkness.
LORI

Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 AM

32,626 posts, read 77,793,585 times
Contrary to the happy facade I try to put on for everyone online and in the real world, beneath those layers of "fake smiles" lies yet another depressed and weary soul. What gets me through life? I find something that inspires me and gives me hope to live another day. Lately, that has been this forum, but now that I've been given an infraction and getting myself into pointless arguments as of late, I'm now even finding this outlet to be more stressful and less "rewarding" in terms of thinking I've helped people with their PA inquiries. My solution? I'm going to start "weaning" myself away from this forum, possibly long-term, in hopes of finding another new "passion" in my life. There's a program around here called "Leadership Wilkes-Barre", and they have a front-page story on the business section of today's Times-Leader that they are looking for new candidates who want to both improve their leadership capabilities and make a positive difference in the community through various volunteer efforts.

Speaking of volunteering, I've always found helping others to be quite satisfying. There's just nothing like seeing someone else with a smile on their face and knowing that you were the one who helped put it there to help bolster anyone's spirits! If you're finding yourself "down on life", as I often do out of loneliness, then why not expand your community service efforts to find a "niche" that suits you? You'll make new friends along the way, and the sense of accomplishment you'll reap will help to counterbalance any chemical imbalances that may be causing your depression. Hope this helps! If not, you always have me as a "cyber-shoulder" to cry upon!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 AM

212 posts, read 793,105 times
SWB, we wouldn't "always have a cyber-shoulder to cry on" if you leave this forum
It just wouldn't be the same without you. Your like a little cyber-ray of sunshine.
LORI

Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
I think everyone even the happiest people get depressed sometimes. But for me what works is prayer and reading my Bible. When I get my mind focused on the Lord everything else seems to fall into place.

SWB-I hope you don't leave the forum!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 AM

32,626 posts, read 77,793,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

SWB-I hope you don't leave the forum!

It's nothing personal. I'm just finding myself becoming increasingly-ADDICTED to this forum. I tried backing off a bit in the past, and it didn't work for more than a couple of days. I need to live a REAL life too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health