Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
These are some things I do to keep depression at bay - Change all light bulbs to 'natural light', eat well including fruits and vegs and whole wheat, go the extra mile with food specialties such as flavored hot cholocate instead of plain, take vitamins, use scented candles, take fresh air, be in nature, walk or swim, hot tub or long bath, human touch (this is why I'm a big hugger), spiritual connections especially to be around others, and most importantly soothing or jazz music.

One thing I think causes suffering today is our isolation. Inviting a person or two over for a 'nothing special' dinner could go a long way in fighting lonliness which I think adds to depression.
Oh Sgoldie but as mentioned earlier, when you are depressed you really don't want to do anything at all. How do you get the umph to eat the right things, get the candles burning, walk???
I think you do need someone who understands and accept you the way you are. Some high days, some low days and just try to motivate you with whatever works.
I believe that depression IS due to a chemical imbalance and that meds CAN help. They may not be the miracle cure but they can help you cope, not dig yourself deeper into the hole, and realize that there are some good times along with the bad times and that THAT is normal.
Schizophrenics, manic-depressive, obsessive-compulsive, they are "controlled" with medication and are as normal as the next guy, but they do have to stay on meds.
Sometimes I think I really SHOULD do it myself.
I have noticed the difference when I've taken Wellbutrin or Zyban to try to stop smoking. Hey, the stuff is kind of nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,100,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I used to see a therapist. That was useless for me. He just made me feel worse. I don't believe in med's. I see them as (and this is just what I feel is best for me; I am not posing my thoughts for anyone else!) covering up my true feelings.
MSJ: I really wish you would reconsider the meds....and talk to a dr. you trust about that. Please!

If you were diabetic, would you not take the medications that would help?

You obviously have a medical situation -- I really wish you'd get treatment. If it is clinical depression, there is seriously little you can do about it on your own without getting all those chemical imbalances back to normal! You deserve a chance to be happy. Please reconsider.

Best wishes!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,564,152 times
This isn't real life? Hmm, maybe that's where I've gone wrong! I am also addicted to this forum - and I've been battling depression all of my life.

What do I do? I write, I cry (but not too long, only to vent), I go for a walk, I pet my cats, and I post on City-Data! I've had thoughts that the world wouldn't be so much worse off if I weren't around, although my kids would probably argue with that. I'm tired a lot, and I'm also an insomniac, which doesn't help.

It's nice to know that there are others out there like me! I feel better now - really!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:58 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,295,593 times
I think alot more people than we think deal with depression,I do my best to shrug it off.My husband thinks I could use meds but I don't want to be chemically controlled either.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,173,898 times
I have post tramatic stress disorder, and at times, suffer hard with depression, I take wellbutrin, at least I can function on that, as where I have tried some other meds and how scary, I never felt so weird. There is nothing wrong with having depression, we just need to find what helps and works for us. Support from others is a big thing. I hope everyone is doing ok today!!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM

27 posts, read 126,103 times
for depression you might try a good magnesium supplement and/or Omega 3 Fish Oil or other types of omega supplements like Evening Primrose oil. google it and you will see that there is a LOT of very promising studies being done about fish oil and the benefits to the brain.

Magnesium aides the central nervous system and helps reduce stress and is used in over 300 functions in the body. up to 90% of americans are deficient of it. magnesium oxide is one of the most common supplements available but not readily absorbed.

The chemical imbalance theory is no more than that. a theory. never proven and there is no test available to test for neurotransmitter levels in the brain to prove which chemical is out of balance. Most of the meds can cause mild to severe side effects in many people who take them and can cause debilitating withdrawal when you try to come off them.

magnesium and fish oil are easy ways to boost the brain, calm the body and aid the central nervous system.

peace.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,280,050 times
Thanks for the encouragement, folks. Believe me, there are times when I'd love to say "Just get over it!" but my intellect tells me it's not that simple. I know that. But emotionally, it isn't easy to accept it. I try to encourage him to do things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Back to vpcats and "bribing" - I'd love to bribe him "that" way, but someone in the throes of depression doesn't want to do anything. It's ok. He's still my DH and I would do anything for him. He's a great guy, and he loves me. I just have to remember that.

Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:22 AM

Very good suggestions TRose. I have read about the fish oil benefits also.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM

LOL nomoresnow. Actually I didn't mean it THAT way. THAT would probably be the farthest thing from his mind. But I don't know, I wish I could think of something that would help! :-(

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 PM

364 posts, read 528,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
MSJ: I really wish you would reconsider the meds....and talk to a dr. you trust about that. Please!

If you were diabetic, would you not take the medications that would help?

You obviously have a medical situation -- I really wish you'd get treatment. If it is clinical depression, there is seriously little you can do about it on your own without getting all those chemical imbalances back to normal! You deserve a chance to be happy. Please reconsider.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the concern. I'm just not sure about the doc and meds. I know you have to find a therapist that you "click" with. Too bad that didn't happen with my guy. I just really think you could give me the stars and the moon and I would still feel the way I do.

As I see it though, at least I'm not one of those miserable people that wants to impose that on others around me. I do get joy from taking care of animals and making them happy! I am in three digit numbers for rescues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health