Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I am not far from retirement age and have actually considered Mexico as a place to retire. I live in Fl and am kind of tired of the hot humid weather and would like to live a area of low humidity and mild summers. Does such a place exist. Also how widely available is Dish Network TV. I cant live without my college football. Go Gators.
I would think Toluca, it's at 8700'. I did consider retiring there for a few years. Figure daily highs 65-75 and nightly lows 33-50F year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Dish is only in Spanish while SKY has both Spanish and English channels for about $30 a month depending on currency exchange rates
(I pay with US CC).

Currently have NFL Sun on.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:40 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I am not far from retirement age and have actually considered Mexico as a place to retire. I live in Fl and am kind of tired of the hot humid weather and would like to live a area of low humidity and mild summers. Does such a place exist. Also how widely available is Dish Network TV. I cant live without my college football. Go Gators.

Go Toluca or surroundings.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:01 PM

14 posts, read 14,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingalloveragain View Post
Hello! I just read your post (above) and was wondering if you are still in Uruapan? Are you retired or working? I am a 60 yo female and am looking for my forever place. uruapan sounds perfect but would a woman on her own be okay there??

I live in Guanajuato. Am about to retire after working here 20 years. Have several retired expat women friends here and, if you're and "active" 60, you might like it here. Take a look at this link. It gives a good overall introduction. Happy exploring!

https://internationalliving.com/coun...ajuato-mexico/

Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Tijuana Mex, and area are pretty cool. I have been there in July, and is very cool. Now if you go inland to like Mexicali, then the temp changes. It becomes very very hot.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:52 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
We love Cuernavaca because the weather is lovely year round and the people are great. It’s a large enough city to have good medical care options, nice markets and even a Costco. It’s an hour or so by express bus to CDMX if you feel a need for some cultural stuff.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
Default Weather, Cost, Safety and living conditions for moving from states to Uruapan (or similar)with minimal SS.

Does anyone know what someone in the US with not much savings can live on in Uruapan, Toluca or San Cristobal de las Casas? Also in this day and age, is it safe for expats in these locations? What should people consider before moving there from the states?

Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebanzai View Post
Does anyone know what someone in the US with not much savings can live on in Uruapan, Toluca or San Cristobal de las Casas? Also in this day and age, is it safe for expats in these locations? What should people consider before moving there from the states?
Traveling around Uruapan is not the safest, but if you live there you probably won't venture out of town that often. Toluca is relatively safe (at this time) and lots of CDMX workers live in the eastern part of Toluca, which drives up its prices so its not cheap. San Cristobal is probably the best choice for a low cost seeking retiree. Chiapas is very cheap, but also underdeveloped. Its like another country and culture compared to central or northern Mexico, not sure if you will find that livable or not.

What you should consider is do you speak Spanish as there will be relatively few English speakers in all three. Also, can you live a locals lifestyle? You have to go to the markets to buy food the locals do, eat at places the locals frequent and travel like they do in cheap city buses. If you do all that and buy few discretionary items then you can make it on a very low budget. Working class families in cities survive on $500-$700/month in income and raise kids on that. That should give you an idea of what you at a minimum need.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 6,217 times
I'm retiring to Queretaro. It's very comfortable most of the time.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
I'd definitely consider Queretaro if was going to retire permanently in Mexico. It would probably be #2 on my list after GDL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico