Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 03:25 AM

125 posts, read 93,552 times

Advertisements

I would say yes. At least all the Mexican media and films are perfectly understood. Most of Mexico's upper crust has a strong Spanish influence from recent civil war refugees. So Mexican culture is very Spanish, Spanish lovo rancheras, Cantinflas and Manzanero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 03:36 AM

No cultural schism whatsoever. The only thing people complains is safety. Mexicans in Spain are scarce, white.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:31 PM

264 posts, read 136,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Spanish and Mexican cultures are totally different.
not correct, Mexican culture has a lot of Spanish influence the issue is that most of that influence came in the 17 and 18 century and Spain is not like that anymore.

this is the problem here, mexico is like a preserved version of Spain of 150 years ago.

the vaquero culture that once was the core of Spain has basically died in Spain but is still alive in mexico and other parts of latam. and even the US.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:01 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
Do people in Spain behave alot like people in Mexico?
people are people in Mexico, Spain, USA or wherever...

Old 12-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
not correct, Mexican culture has a lot of Spanish influence the issue is that most of that influence came in the 17 and 18 century and Spain is not like that anymore.

this is the problem here, mexico is like a preserved version of Spain of 150 years ago.

the vaquero culture that once was the core of Spain has basically died in Spain but is still alive in mexico and other parts of latam. and even the US.
The charro culture survives in Spain.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:04 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever200 View Post
Do people in Spain behave alot like people in Mexico?
The answer is absolutely not. Both are quite different countries, I only lived in Spain and Mexico and I can ensure you that most spaniards would be unable to live in Mexico because they couldn't stand their quality of life.

1) We, spaniards, love to purchase everything and show off, going on holidays to exotic places (Thailand, Cuba, India) while most mexicans don't, most mexicans go on holidays to United States and Mexico itself.

2) Being under poverty may be seen a social marginalization and a big stigma, even weird in Spain if you are a national spaniard (I'm excluding immigrants, the core of the poor population in Spain), while in Mexico is not uncommon for national mexicans.

3) The biggest contrast and main difference between Mexico and Spain: Mexico is considered one of the unsafest and violent countries worldwide, Spain is considered among the safest and less violent countries worldwide. Many people in Mexico are committed to crime, while in Spain this is very rare. In Mexico you may find gunmen, many people have guns while in Spain, having a gun is forbidden, if you are caught with a gun in Spain you go to prison.

4) Most people in Mexico don't own a car, in Spain almost everybody around 30 years old have a car (I'm a weird in Spain because of not having a car, but I may afford it).

5) Let's talk about music and culture. In southern Mexico, nobody would report police if you play your music loudly, in Spain this is not tolerated by most people and you would be reported. Mexicans listen to "corridos", "rancheras", "cumbias" and other latin music while Spaniards (excluding immigrants) usually likes electronic and rock music, is unusual to find a spaniard listening to latin music. "Corridos" and "rancheras" don't even exist in Spain, those are local mexican music and would be extremely rare to find a spaniard even knowing what is a corrido.

6) Mexican accent and Spanish accent (from Spain) and even vocabulary are quite different. If you speak Spanish mexican in Spain, many people would not understand you, the same in the opposite way, and I can relate to my own experience, most mexicans can't understand our vocabulary and slang. I would like to start a thread with differences between spanish mexican and spanish from Spain. But this would be a very long thread.

7) Spanish society is closer to what we may consider a modern society than mexican society. As an example, you will find far more gamers in Spain than Mexico, football (european soccer) is way more popular in Spain than Mexico, the dressing in Spain is closer to other european countries than in Mexico. The dressing in both countries is hugely different...

8) This is another huge contrast between both societies: While in Mexico the population is constantly increasing because people get married early and they usually have a fair amount of children, in Spain, the population is decreasing because we have a very low birth rate and would have even more pronounced if we exclude immigrants. The reason: people under poverty/unemployed in Mexico would still have children while in Spain would not have children. Are we selfish and we prioritize our well-being? Exactly, because we are closer to a modern society, where individualism is better than familiar values among young society.

9) The food is quite the opposite in both countries and the food and body culture as well, let me to explain this. In Mexico, there is a huge problem with obesity among its population, because most mexicans eat junk food while in Spain, again, closer to a modern society, most people are aware even obsessed about healthy food (only spaniards, excluding immigrants): you know lots of vegetables and low fat foods. Going to the gym and running in the streets have become extremely popular in Spain, while in Mexico aren't still popular (while in their defense of mexicans, I would say their interest in running is raising).

10) Generally speaking, mexicans are much more friendly than spaniards. Most spaniards are introvert (just like me). Most mexicans go out while most spaniards spend much time at home.

I may be writing and writing about this topic endlessly, but I don't have enough time. Just to remember that Spain even with the financial crisis is still a developed country while Mexico is a developing country, two widely different categories. This is quite important in order to compare both societies. Other differences lie in their geographical situation. Be aware that Spain is in Europe while Mexico is in America, so spanish society is closer to a european society while mexican society is closer to an american/latin america society. That also includes the way we live. In Spain is more common to rent an apartment while in Mexico renting a house.

Last edited by Jorge ChemE; 12-24-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 AM

7 posts, read 4,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
The answer is absolutely not. Both are quite different countries, I only lived in Spain and Mexico and I can ensure you that most spaniards would be unable to live in Mexico because they couldn't stand their quality of life.

1) We, spaniards, love to purchase everything and show off, going on holidays to exotic places (Thailand, Cuba, India) while most mexicans don't, most mexicans go on holidays to United States and Mexico itself.

2) Being under poverty may be seen a social marginalization and a big stigma, even weird in Spain if you are a national spaniard (I'm excluding immigrants, the core of the poor population in Spain), while in Mexico is not uncommon for national mexicans.

3) The biggest contrast and main difference between Mexico and Spain: Mexico is considered one of the unsafest and violent countries worldwide, Spain is considered among the safest and less violent countries worldwide. Many people in Mexico are committed to crime, while in Spain this is very rare. In Mexico you may find gunmen, many people have guns while in Spain, having a gun is forbidden, if you are caught with a gun in Spain you go to prison.

4) Most people in Mexico don't own a car, in Spain almost everybody around 30 years old have a car (I'm a weird in Spain because of not having a car, but I may afford it).

5) Let's talk about music and culture. In southern Mexico, nobody would report police if you play your music loudly, in Spain this is not tolerated by most people and you would be reported. Mexicans listen to "corridos", "rancheras", "cumbias" and other latin music while Spaniards (excluding immigrants) usually likes electronic and rock music, is unusual to find a spaniard listening to latin music. "Corridos" and "rancheras" don't even exist in Spain, those are local mexican music and would be extremely rare to find a spaniard even knowing what is a corrido.

6) Mexican accent and Spanish accent (from Spain) and even vocabulary are quite different. If you speak Spanish mexican in Spain, many people would not understand you, the same in the opposite way, and I can relate to my own experience, most mexicans can't understand our vocabulary and slang. I would like to start a thread with differences between spanish mexican and spanish from Spain. But this would be a very long thread.

7) Spanish society is closer to what we may consider a modern society than mexican society. As an example, you will find far more gamers in Spain than Mexico, football (european soccer) is way more popular in Spain than Mexico, the dressing in Spain is closer to other european countries than in Mexico. The dressing in both countries is hugely different...

8) This is another huge contrast between both societies: While in Mexico the population is constantly increasing because people get married early and they usually have a fair amount of children, in Spain, the population is decreasing because we have a very low birth rate and would have even more pronounced if we exclude immigrants. The reason: people under poverty/unemployed in Mexico would still have children while in Spain would not have children. Are we selfish and we prioritize our well-being? Exactly, because we are closer to a modern society, where individualism is better than familiar values among young society.

9) The food is quite the opposite in both countries and the food and body culture as well, let me to explain this. In Mexico, there is a huge problem with obesity among its population, because most mexicans eat junk food while in Spain, again, closer to a modern society, most people are aware even obsessed about healthy food (only spaniards, excluding immigrants): you know lots of vegetables and low fat foods. Going to the gym and running in the streets have become extremely popular in Spain, while in Mexico aren't still popular (while in their defense of mexicans, I would say their interest in running is raising).

10) Generally speaking, mexicans are much more friendly than spaniards. Most spaniards are introvert (just like me). Most mexicans go out while most spaniards spend much time at home.

I may be writing and writing about this topic endlessly, but I don't have enough time. Just to remember that Spain even with the financial crisis is still a developed country while Mexico is a developing country, two widely different categories. This is quite important in order to compare both societies. Other differences lie in their geographical situation. Be aware that Spain is in Europe while Mexico is in America, so spanish society is closer to a european society while mexican society is closer to an american/latin america society. That also includes the way we live. In Spain is more common to rent an apartment while in Mexico renting a house.
Let's not exaggerate

Spaniards generally don't show off, it's tacky in their heads... Italians show off, so do plenty of south americans like the Brazilians and the Colombians, but neither mexicana nor spaniards are show of people.

Plenty of spaniards have a hard time making it to the end of the month, let's not pretend spaniards are not poor, only migrants because I will call you out FAST with data.

Owning a car is not a sign of wealth anywhere these days.

Spaniards are pretty loud too. In fact spaniards are louder than mexicans who are rather quiet. Spaniards reassemble Caribbean people more when it comes to being loud.

Spaniards are also starting to suffer from obesity like a lot of Europe.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivemuncher View Post
Let's not exaggerate

Spaniards generally don't show off, it's tacky in their heads... Italians show off, so do plenty of south americans like the Brazilians and the Colombians, but neither mexicana nor spaniards are show of people.

Plenty of spaniards have a hard time making it to the end of the month, let's not pretend spaniards are not poor, only migrants because I will call you out FAST with data.

Owning a car is not a sign of wealth anywhere these days.

Spaniards are pretty loud too. In fact spaniards are louder than mexicans who are rather quiet. Spaniards reassemble Caribbean people more when it comes to being loud.

Spaniards are also starting to suffer from obesity like a lot of Europe.
Well, I have to disagree in some aspects or just clarify some concepts:

1) "Spaniards generally don't show off, it's tacky in their heads..." Spaniards probably don't show off in the same extent of others, but they do when it comes to holidays. People who can afford them (not few) among young and working people are always showing off their holidays in Thailand and other exotic places. You can see crowds of spaniards travelling to Cancun, how many mexicans travel to Europe in the same extent? And also, not only people with good qualifications travel to Cancun, because in Spain salaries are generally way better than Mexico when it comes to lower educated people (people with lower education than a college degree). In Mexico, people without a college degree can't generally afford this (assuming he/she is earning money legally). I appreciate mexicans don't show off in the same extent than spaniards, because I find this upsetting here in Spain.

2) "Plenty of spaniards have a hard time making it to the end of the month" I find this a general statement that can be applicable to any other country. There are germans/french/british/americans having a hard time making it to the end of the month. But to the point, what is known/called poor in Mexico, would be extremely poor in Spain. You hardly ever find children/a kid begging for money on streets, specially being spaniard. I found them in most of states in Mexico. I've also found child labour in Mexico, that is extremely rare in Spain (or almost impossible and illegal). Another topic would be the education in both countries. I know in 2009 in Spain almost 30% of people from 25 to 40 had a college degree (an higher ratio than in other developed countries), in Mexico barely reached 16%. Such higher education in Spain allows spaniards to work in other countries to live in better conditions.

3) "Owning a car is not a sign of wealth anywhere these days." Probably depending on the car, right? You can't even compare a Volkswagen Beetle of 60s with no car glasses, scrap cars with most of the cars you will see in spanish cities. In Spain we do have rigurous Vehicle Inspection Tests. If you have one of those scrap cars that you can see in most of the mexican cities you are not allowed to drive them in Spain. Not only because of road safety but also because of environmental constraints.

4) "Spaniards are pretty loud too. In fact spaniards are louder than mexicans who are rather quiet. Spaniards reassemble Caribbean people more when it comes to being loud." I can admit we are pretty loud when it comes to speaking, but again, you are not allowed to put your music loud because you will be reported to the police. We have our own noise regulations. Other europeans are also loud when speaking: italians and better to not mention russians...

5) "Spaniards are also starting to suffer from obesity like a lot of Europe". You will find obesity everywhere, but the obesity ratio in Mexico is higher than in Spain. In Mexico the obesity is acknowledge by their own health organizations as an epidemic, affecting lots of mexican population. I should have included that in general their feeding habits are worse, you may find junk food even on pharmacies, you will never find junk food in spanish pharmacies.

I would like to add a few extra arguments in favor of mexican society against spanish society, continuing with my list:

11) Racism. I didn't want to speak about that (controversy), but this is something in favor of mexicans. Mexicans are way more tolerant than spaniards. Unfortunately, you may find racist attitudes among spaniards against immigrants in public transport, streets, malls, etc. The same pathetic scenes that are well known of americans harassing immigrants can also be found in Spain.

12) Mexicans are more helpful than spaniards. If you have a problem in Mexico you can always find someone available to help and assist you. I would say the same can't apply to my people, you may find helpful people out here, but many of them are not available to help/assist you.

13) This may be an offtopic but I wanted to include here. Despite being Mexico a developing country and Spain a developed country, the unemployment is way worse in Spain than in Mexico among educated people. In other words, is far easier to find a job in Mexico than in Spain (educated people). Mexico has far higher poverty rates than Spain, but unemployment affects severely to this comparison in terms of society. Because finding a job is far easier in Mexico than in Spain, educated people with college degrees in Mexico become independent earlier than in Spain. This fact affects severely to spanish society and mexicans have a huge advantage over us. Millenials in Spain are supported by their parents, they can, in contrast to most mexican families, but still a young society supported by their parents because they are not able to find a job is a huge drawback to spanish society in favor of mexican society.

Old 12-24-2019, 06:25 PM

622 posts, read 427,618 times
Most Mexicans I find in Spain are rich, well dressed and white. They are basically Spanish, rich Spanish at that, northern Spanish. As to so-called "brown Mexicans", I have only seen a few, not poor and well behaved.

So if you get a similar sample of Spanish in Mexico, they will probably be rich, live in good colonias, etc.

Sure, we¡ve got shady people, killos, chonis, Erasmus students, perroflautas, charnegos, etc. But nobody is perfect.

Mexican people do not suffer aggressions in Spain at all, no more than "gachupines" in Mexico.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Racism in Spain may occur against specific people, latinos included but it rarely escalates to physical aggressions, they are mostly insults in public places. The last one I was aware of was a lady insulting a colombian mother with her scared daughter, fortunately they were defended by other colombians. The lady seemed to have mental issues, she was yelling at the mother, it was pathetic. The only case of racism against a mexican I know was a woman that was sent to a hospital in Madrid, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, where fascists usually go out, though I ignore the details, but such event is extremely rare and happened some years ago.

As for spaniards in Mexico, I think is extremely rare an episode of violence due to racism, although I was advised by my coworkers when I was working there as an immigrant to not going out on their independence party day, to prevent any issue. Episodes of violence seems to be against everybody due to other motives, mainly crime and drug cartels. Some spaniards had been killed in this way, but this is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico