Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 01:21 AM

24 posts, read 61,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If the descendants of Latin Americans living in the USA want a classification for people living in the USA of mixed race origins from Spanish speaking Latin America that is fine but why hijack the term Hispanic which is a term associated with Spain. Since when do Latin Americans get to decide for Spaniards on these matters? Sorry but Americans in general are about as dumb is it gets on this topic because most rigidly view ancestry from the paradigm of race.
This stupidity of referring to Mestizos and even Indo-Mestizos from Mexico or Central America as "Hispanics" is cause by the US population, not by us Latin Americans. Native Americans have nothing to do with Spain. They might share the same language and religion but this people are not "Hispanic" or "Spanish" like many people refer to them here in the US. Thats why many don't even know that Spain is a European country, some think that is in Central America. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
The US might not be the safest place in the world, still millions of mexicans are dying (literally) to cross the border. That tells you something about the situation in Mexico.
Is not only Mexicans coming in to the US, is also a lot of people from Central and even South American. In recent years, there has been more migration of people from Central America like from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to the US, then from Mexico. Even Mexican people are tired of seen a lot of Central Americans passing through Mexico, while causing mayhem in the streets, to come to the US.

Mexico might not be one the safest places to live, specially in the northern states where the Narcos seem to prevailed the most, but economically speaking they are in a better position then Central Americans and many South Americans as well. Is also worth mentioning, that in Latin America, Mexico is the second strongest economy behind Brazil.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
ok Several points

1. I generally spend a lot of time in Spain because I own property there. Let me tell you, Spaniards are not blind. The fact is that a white Argentine will be much more welcome than an indigenous Mexican or a mulatto dominican or some exotic Central American.

I think you're exaggerating a little to bit.

I know a lot of Mexican Mestizos that have been to Spain, and none of them have said that they were mistreated by the Spaniards, if anything most people over there were very kind and friendly with them. I don't doubt there might be some people with racist attitudes towards immigrants, but for the most part people are chill over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
2. A lot of actual latin americans dislike Being called Hispanic Latino. Weather because Latin America is very diverse or because they are simply racist and don't like to be lumped, itsa US term, not a latin american one.
I don't mind actually being refer to "Latin American" or "Hispanic". I am actually getting used to this term a lot. I just dislike it when people making it out to be a racial term. My race is not "Latino" or "Hispanic", I am White even if my ethnicity and culture is "Latino" or "Hispanic".

Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 AM

290 posts, read 179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC193 View Post
I think you're exaggerating a little to bit.

I know a lot of Mexican Mestizos that have been to Spain, and none of them have said that they were mistreated by the Spaniards, if anything most people over there were very kind and friendly with them. I don't doubt there might be some people with racist attitudes towards immigrants, but for the most part people are chill over there.
Spaniards are civilized Europeans, Europe is not the American South in the 50s.

But let's not ignore the pink elephant in the room.

It is proven that white Latin Americans are much more well received as immigrants than indigenous, mestizo, mulatto ones.

George Lopez stands out, cameron Diaz does not.

However Spain is multiracial, you find people from all over the world, Pakistanis, Pinoys, Arabs, Africans, asians, Europeans from elsewhere, anglos...

Most Spaniards could care less about Latin Americans or any foreigner in general.

Why would they?

20% of spains population is foreign and over 70 millions tourists visit Spain yearly. So seeing foreigners in Spain is like seeing cars at a parking lot.

So no, a latino from the US is not gonna stop any one on their tracks in Barcelona, just like a Chinese tourist doesn't shock any one in New York city.

Last edited by backpaker; 12-14-2019 at 03:29 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 11:05 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC193 View Post
Because of this reason is that people in the US even if they noticed you look "White", if you start talking Spanish or you tell them that your name is "Juan" then you become "Hispanic" in their eyes. Don't believe me? Here's a Spaniards himself saying how he is "White" back home but in California he is "Hispanic".

The articles is in Spanish.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias/2...za_hispanos_jg

I'd seen also many articles online referring to people like Guillermo del Toro, a "White" Mexican, as a person of color.

So it seems to me that no matter who "White" you are in the US, if you are of "Hispanic" origin then you are not "White". You got to be a person Anglo descent to be consider "White".
In some regions of the country they view it that way. They view themselves as "white" and if you are different than them than you are not white which includes some European ethnicities as well. You have to walk, talk, think and look like them to be viewed as "white".

Old 12-14-2019, 12:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
It's a legitimate and innocous, albeit misguided, question. Spain and Spaniards are as similar to Mexico as Brits are similar to Americans.

There are a lot of similar cultural traits, and unfortunately, we have inherited the Spanish way of life, which excludes a lot of innovation and industrialism, and involves a culture of corruption, strongman governance, and heavy nepotism. For those who want to disprove this, look at the Phillippines, the only Asian country to have been fully colonized by Spain. It shares more similarities with Latin American countries than with their wealthy Asian neighbors. Spain seems to be slowly evolving out of this, but the imprint that it has left in Latin America and the Phillippines is deep and rooted.

Do people behave the same? Not any more than people behave the same all over the world, man.
It's a part of the European Union and had to develop European Union laws and regulations.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A country such as Portugal has a much more homogenous population than does Brazil. If both places had similar populations (whether homogenous as Portugal or heterogenous as Brazil), I think both places would be the same on this regard.
Portugal is full of immigrants and I'd say more diverse than Brasil. The percentage of African people would be lower, but Portugal has people from all around the world in large numbers, as does any Western European nation.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A country such as Portugal has a much more homogenous population than does Brazil. If both places had similar populations (whether homogenous as Portugal or heterogenous as Brazil), I think both places would be the same on this regard.
I don't think so I find this more pronounced among the people whose families returned to Portugal in the 1970's from Angola etc. after having been in Africa in some cases for many generations. The colonies in the Americas and the plantations produced a hierarchy not found in Spain and Portugal. In Portugal class is more based on how you speak, your etiquette and how you carry yourself than color. If you behave like you have poor upbringing(mal-educado) it bears much more weight.

Last edited by AFP; 12-14-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 01:04 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Are these women behaving differently?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyPjbEyQZI

Old 12-14-2019, 01:47 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are these women behaving differently?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyPjbEyQZI
This is really not a fair comparison the interviewer is rather unattractive and plain with her words with an ugly top and a bad haircut and the actress is very expressive and fairly attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico