Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:34 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
But in Latin America, don’t race and class largely overlap?
I think it's the case with all countries in the Americas formed with a colonial base. I find Brazilians also much more fixed on physical characteristics than the Portuguese in general. They're actually much more likely to place higher value on certain physical characteristics(especially those that had plantations). More shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 12:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think it's the case with all countries in the Americas formed with a colonial base. I find Brazilians also much more fixed on physical characteristics than the Portuguese in general. They're actually much more likely to place higher value on certain physical characteristics(especially those that had plantations). More shallow.
Very true.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:14 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Very true.
Look up this term "Um pé na cozinha". A lot of people have gone to great lengths to make it look like they don't have "one foot in the kitchen".

Old 12-13-2019, 01:20 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Are there still plantations in Brazil?

Old 12-13-2019, 04:29 PM
AFP

Quote:
Are there still plantations in Brazil?
Here is some basic information to start.

https://library.brown.edu/create/fiv...-and-engenhos/

Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
A country such as Portugal has a much more homogenous population than does Brazil. If both places had similar populations (whether homogenous as Portugal or heterogenous as Brazil), I think both places would be the same on this regard.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:25 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC193 View Post
Culturally speaking Latin Americans share a lot with Spain. The main big one is language. The vast majority of Latin Americans have mixed Spanish ancestry, in varying degrees. I see no problem with Latin Americans claiming that they have Spanish heritage, specially when there's a lot of us that have predominantly Spanish ancestry.

Now, claiming they are from mainland Spain, then thats a different story, since they are not Spaniards. Spaniards are the ones that were born in the Iberian Peninsula.
The biggest aspect is that if all cultural inputs are separated in each cultural categories, Spain dominates most of those. Whether its food, art, language; architecture, etc... In each country there are few cultural practices that has something other than Spain as its main origin.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
Says the American woman, sweetie check the murder rate of your country, And how many people have died in the name of your country around the world and then talk to me about violent people
The US might not be the safest place in the world, still millions of mexicans are dying (literally) to cross the border. That tells you something about the situation in Mexico.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 PM

290 posts, read 179,552 times
ok Several points

1. I generally spend a lot of time in Spain because I own property there. Let me tell you, Spaniards are not blind. The fact is that a white Argentine will be much more welcome than an indigenous Mexican or a mulatto dominican or some exotic Central American.

2. A lot of actual latin americans dislike Being called Hispanic Latino. Weather because Latin America is very diverse or because they are simply racist and don't like to be lumped, itsa US term, not a latin american one.

Last edited by backpaker; 12-14-2019 at 12:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 01:10 AM

24 posts, read 61,391 times
Quote:
In the US, “Hispanic” is thought of as a race by many people. And others often don’t correct the misconception, since when you are not considered white, you can claim to be part of a historically victimized group. Yet I knew a now-deceased woman from Puerto Rico who had green/blue eyes and looked like a stereotypical Swede (I don’t know what her hair color when she was young). I wouldn’t consider Pope Francis, an Argentinian-born son of Italian immigrants, a “person of color” (to be fair, I’m sure he doesn’t claim to be one).
Because of this reason is that people in the US even if they noticed you look "White", if you start talking Spanish or you tell them that your name is "Juan" then you become "Hispanic" in their eyes. Don't believe me? Here's a Spaniards himself saying how he is "White" back home but in California he is "Hispanic".

The articles is in Spanish.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias/2...za_hispanos_jg

I'd seen also many articles online referring to people like Guillermo del Toro, a "White" Mexican, as a person of color.

So it seems to me that no matter who "White" you are in the US, if you are of "Hispanic" origin then you are not "White". You got to be a person Anglo descent to be consider "White".

Last edited by JAC193; 12-14-2019 at 01:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico