Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM

271 posts, read 665,125 times

Advertisements

I would rather have snow through the main part of winter. It seems when we get more snow, it's not quite as cold. There have been a lot of winters where there is little snow but the ground is a chunk of ice and the dry bitter cold is just plain miserable.

There seemed to be more snow when I was a kid. My dad's road used to drift closed on a daily basis and getting through it with a 4x4 was sometimes tough. Plows used to come several times a day too. He still lives in the same house, but anymore the same road doesn't even cause problems for a car and plows don't come by near as often. Sometimes in the yard he would dig a cave for us into the huge snowdrifts in the yard. Nowadays there's nowhere near enough snow there to do that for my kid. The driveway used to have good sized snowbanks on both sides from shoveling it. Nowadays he almost never has to even shovel or plow. He sold his snowblower years ago and never looked back.

It seems like 1996-1997 was the last good winter. After that El Nino came and though we have had some good storms here and there, it's never really been the same since.

It would also be nice if we had a nice winter, but also had a spring season. I don't think we have ever had a spring season. Where's all this stuff about blooming flowers and all? I've never seen it. Winter drags until mid May then it turns to summer. But that's just hoping for utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM

528 posts, read 886,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Snow isnt far away. Dont hurry it along too much. Afterall, it will be here until April.
Hurry? Nay. We had to back out of the house we were buying after the Great Deer Incident.

Closings are slow as molasses these days. I'm hoping we'll be back by Wednesday, make an offer this weekend, finish the inspections by the following weekend, and at that rate, we'll be lucky to close by early to mid December.

So.... I could TOTALLY do without snow until oh, Christmas Eve.

I will have equines crossing the state, hopefully, we'll have nice roads for my girls to travel from Midland to.... Somewhere in NW (ish?) MI.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Try Oakland county....... in the 50's, and yes, it was utopia!
LOL... If only I were looking to be that close to city.

I would miss the wild weather and the endless nature of the North. Sat and cried in my dogs fur tonight, because I want to go all Dorothy and just be back home NOW!

Soon enough. In His time....

The long spring though.... That will be the trade off of a nice, long winter.... short spring.... Guess a hot house will be in order some day, to get those plants growing before they can be in the ground.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:58 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,638 times
I can't wait for....

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 AM

275 posts, read 441,835 times
We were up in Ocqueoc this year in May. When we left Ohio it was 80 degrees. By the time we arrived in Ocqueoc it was 39. This is what we woke up to Saturday morning. I was driving in to Rogers City to buy a toilet.

The next day we woke up to this.

So, blizzard like conditions on Saturday. Cutting grass in jeans and a t-shirt on Sunday. Gotta love it.

Dave

Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Come on Guys , I still got a 60' parapet wall to build next week-end ! Will be painting the Fiber cement panels today...in the garage that is. Its 40 going on 45 today...maybe.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
I can't wait for....

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Me TOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I've been singing Christmas Carols for 2 weeks now!!! (It's driving the hubby crazy!)

Last edited by TXLIZARD; 10-30-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
Me TOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I've been singing Christmas Carols for 2 weeks now!!! (It's driving the hubby crazy!)
My friend was watching The Great Pumpkin, and all I could think was Grinch and Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

You guys are SUCH enablers. Stop it! :P

Old 10-30-2010, 09:42 PM

809 posts, read 1,951,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
We were up in Ocqueoc this year in May. When we left Ohio it was 80 degrees. By the time we arrived in Ocqueoc it was 39. This is what we woke up to Saturday morning. I was driving in to Rogers City to buy a toilet.

The next day we woke up to this.

So, blizzard like conditions on Saturday. Cutting grass in jeans and a t-shirt on Sunday. Gotta love it.

Dave
Wasnt that the first saturday in May? We got a touch of that snow over here in Boyne but not as bad as ya'll. It cleared out, snow all melted and in a few days it was hot.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 AM

275 posts, read 441,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Wasnt that the first saturday in May? We got a touch of that snow over here in Boyne but not as bad as ya'll. It cleared out, snow all melted and in a few days it was hot.
That's right...it was the weekend of the 8th. I'm pretty sure that was the last snow of the season in our neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan