Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,950,508 times

Advertisements

I'd like to add, what other profession do you actually have to PAY for your internship? Student teachers must pay full-time tuition during student teaching, and they are strongly encouraged to not work an outside during that time......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM

65 posts, read 234,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I'd like to add, what other profession do you actually have to PAY for your internship? Student teachers must pay full-time tuition during student teaching, and they are strongly encouraged to not work an outside during that time......
Again... your a teacher complaining about your job, yet here you are surfing the net while you are supposed to be teaching a class! Do you not have kids in your classroom right now?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,950,508 times
Nope. On my lunch break

Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milabs View Post
Try being a family living off of that....no thanks.
Are you kidding me? What has happend to this country where a family can't live of $56,000? We aren't talking about trying to live in California or New York here. If you can't live off $56,000 you are doing something wrong.

Let me add that a high def tv and high def programming is not a necessity

Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 23,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
Again... your a teacher complaining about your job, yet here you are surfing the net while you are supposed to be teaching a class! Do you not have kids in your classroom right now?
I don't really think they're complaining about their job. They are simply stating that teachers have to pull full time tuition to student teach, which does require a time commitment that means you can't have a part time job while you're doing it. If anything they are complaining about having to pull for 14 credit hours to have an internship, which I think most people, regardless of profession, would complain about.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM

65 posts, read 234,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Nope. On my lunch break
Just like a few days ago when you were posting at 10:30 in the morning???

Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM

136 posts, read 482,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadmonk View Post
People keep throwing around this $56,000/yr salary. I think we need to put that into perspective.

True, a teacher can make that, but that is the top end of the teacher salary range (depending on district some may be higher or lower)....
Check the original link. The $56K qouted is the MEDIAN.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 AM

144 posts, read 825,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Are you kidding me? What has happend to this country where a family can't live of $56,000? We aren't talking about trying to live in California or New York here. If you can't live off $56,000 you are doing something wrong.

Let me add that a high def tv and high def programming is not a necessity

No. I am not kidding you. My family can't live on an income that low and if you can I shudder to think how.

If you talking a single person or maybe a married couple that would be different. Throw in a couple of kids and that income goes right out the window.......56K is NOT alot of money.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 23,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxBait View Post
Check the original link. The $56K qouted is the MEDIAN.
Average of all teachers, keep in mind most teachers in michigan have been teaching for many years and are at the TOP of their pay scale.
Here is a more accurate breakdown of Michigan teacher salary from that same site.

http://www.teacher-world.com/teacher.../michigan.html

Minimum of a Bachelor's degree

Schedule Type Year 1 Salary Year 6 Salary
42 week $30,122.40 $39,076.80
52 week $37,437.84 $48,566.88

Minimum of a Master's degree

42 week $31,449.60 $40,857.60
52 week $39,087.36 $50,780.16

Minimum of a Master's degree and 30 sem. hours

42 week $32,407.20 $42,168.00
52 week $40,277.52 $52,408.00

Also, the general current I get from a fair number of people is that they don't feel that teachers deserve to be well paid for what they do, that they should live a life of poverty. I think anybody that does their job well, especially a very difficult job like teaching should be well compensated.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:46 PM

136 posts, read 482,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadmonk View Post
... keep in mind most teachers in michigan have been teaching for many years and are at the TOP of their pay scale...
You've probably hit the nail on the head there. But you can thank unions for that. They tend to negotiate much higer pay for long term workers and to h311 with newcomers. Look at the UAW. They sell out newbies for job security and benefits for those near retirement. Most professionals do not have unions. Someone here mentioned engineers. Starting salary is decent for them but without a union they don't see much increase with experience. They also work significant overtime for free. And where are those jobs? Most are in high cost areas. In 1989, I started at $29K as an engineer in San Diego. Believe me that didn't go far.

I would also encourage you to do a little research on salaries for adjunct professors at comunity colleges. From what I heard in Denver they work just as many classes for half the pay an no benefits as new public shool teachers.

If teachers really want to be paid what they think they're worth they should support vouchers. Now governement run schools have the funds and the job market practically locked up. And the public is paying dearly for education - around $1000/day per classroom. Teachers might get a bigger piece of that pie if there were more efficient employers to chose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan