Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,325 times

Advertisements

We plan on moving to Alaska this coming spring/early summer. There are many reasons why we are leaving, but I will only mention a couple.

1. We are tired of the hot weather here, as I get older the heat gets worst.
2. Michigan seems to be going down hill more than any other area we have looked at.
3. The people, no offense intended, are just not as friendly and helpful as they used to be. (neighborly)
4. Alaska has always been a dream of mine. And no, in the South Central it is about the same weather as here...just cooler in the summer.

I could go on and on but I won't. I truly love Northern Michigan and the UP along Superior area , you can keep the south.

It is just time to leave this state!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 AM

262 posts, read 788,038 times
Northern guys other half, I would say that if I knew of the Illegals living and working I would be on the phone to call the NIS or State agency to let them know of these actions these Illegals are doing, cause if Americans just sit back and watch well what do you think will happen(Illegal Immigration Counters - Home Page) Check this site out. it will just get worse not better. I was looking at moving down to Las Vegas I have a job lined up. I just don't want to make a big move only to find out I'll be in the same boat as I'm in now with NO Work coming in. I am now looking at Kentucky since they are looking at a 2.1 Billion Dollars investing in Louisville and it's only a 8 hour drive from my home here in Michigan, I figure I can drive down there line up a job and work during the week and drive home on the weekends, at least this way I can keep my house here in Michigan but have to work in another State. Cause today Chrysler is cutting 1000 more white collar jobs plus they plan on closing down a plant in Ohio another 1500 jobs. Can it get any worse Oh yeah I forgot GAS $3.25 to $3.45 a gallon and they now talking gas could go up as much as $4.25 a gallon, Boy if only Big 3 Auto Business would have listened to the people who called for Earth Day back in the 1970's Then maybe we wouldn't care about how high gas went up cause we would be driving E85 Fueled cars and trucks, But the people in charge were ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! Kinda like the people in Lansing. but this group has their heads up their Butts. I like how the Governor and the Great Kwame are going to build on the River front $30 Million dollars they can't even balance the budgets of Detroit and the State yet Their going to Build with WHO'S MONEY? these two are just way out there. I guess we'll be looking at another TAX INCREASE To pay for the Mayor of Detroit and the Governor's plans.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 AM

34 posts, read 204,548 times
Nephler, Best of luck with your Alaska dream It's on my list of must-visit places.

I have a friend who currently works in the furthest north of Alaska as a meteorological technician (that white dome in the Arctic Circle deep snow!), but is most likely going to be transferred to the area you are speaking of. I didn't realize that there are regions of Alaska that are actually classified as a type of rainforest until she told me about her possible move. I'll bet you're going to love it.

NorthernGuy's Other Half

Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,325 times
Thanks nothernguy. The Kenai area is mostly a temperate zone, rarely hotter than 70 and might get down to around -20 or so only for a week. Perfect it ya ask me

Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM

34 posts, read 204,548 times
Frankawitz, your idea of commuting to Louisville and keeping your home in Michigan makes good common sense. We have a friend in the siding business who has actually been bidding jobs in Montana and is willing to travel to keep things going, but he's staying put as well. I wish we'd done something of the sort! It's not an easy time for anyone in the construction trades to be sure. The housing boom has gone belly up in Las Vegas, too.

The INS looks the other way for the most part concerning illegal workers, just like the government talks out both sides of its mouth. That's because businesses love illegal workers. They can pay them dirt cheap wages and because they are not legal they have no rights to insist on. And if something happens, they are expendable people. You just go get the next one in line.

Governor Janet Napolitano here in Arizona passed a law that goes into effect on January 1, 2008, stating that any business *knowingly* hiring illegal workers will get their license suspended and a fine on the first offense. If there is a second offense they will lose their license permanently. There are databases where employers can check things like SSN#'s against the names. So...a big bunch of the businesses got together to fight her on the new law. They are claiming it's unconstitutional!! It is something to watch. Even though Michigan doesn't have anywhere near the problem with illegal workers as the border states, it is happening.

I don't blame these illegal workers. If I were in their shoes I probably do the same thing if it meant making a better life for myself and my family. I blame the look the other way policies to pander to business. If no one hired people who are here illegally, they would stop coming here to take jobs!!!!

I have nothing against people coming here legally to work and possibly take citizenship. My in-laws are immigrants, actually. They came here legally, learned to speak the language we do business in, and didn't expect any special treatment just because they had a hard life before they arrived in the U.S. And they did have it hard before they came here, they lost their entire country to a war and ended up in work camps. So when I hear that guilt trip that we should just open the gates and let the illegals flood in to take jobs and services because they have a hard life, I don't accept it.

The other states should take the lead of Governor Napolitano. (Can we swap governors?? )

Jeri.....NG's other half

Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,873 times
We are the fortunate few that has a stable job, fixed mortgage, and happy to call Michigan home! Little over a year ago it looked like we needed to re-locate unil my company decided to expand here.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 PM

106 posts, read 573,193 times
I cannot wait to bolt.
I have had job interviews in North Carolina and Georgia.
I am just waiting for the green light.
I have recently obtained a masters degree and cannot find squat.

I am sick and tired of going to job interviews only to find out I am competing against 12 other people, which was whittled down from a pile of 100 applicants.

There are plenty of jobs out of state, many of my friends are getting hired like crazy, here there is nothing.
The air in other state is palpable, you can feel the positive vibes, the only people not working are those who refuse too.

Life is much different once you leave your comfort zone. (MI)

I loath, this state, the politicians/governor who have no plan for the future, and would not know how to execute a business plan if you gave it to them.
I am willing to bet everyone on this Michigan site either has lost a job or knows at least 2 people who have.
Guaranteed!

Last edited by mike jones; 11-01-2007 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM

47 posts, read 152,087 times
I think that people know more than just 2, more like at least 10! I lost my job back in March and could not find crap!!!!! Sold our home, moved in with the in-laws- and then I found a job, OUT OF STATE!!!!!!!!!! The only thing that sucks is leaving family and friends behind. We have been gone for 3 months now, let me tell you, we are blessed to be getting a nice paycheck once again and to be able to feel great once again, it just sucks when you loose your job after working for 17 years without a gap in betweeen. Plenty of work here and we are just loving the temperatures, nice sunny days and a little bit on the chilly side at night. I will miss the north and maybe we'll be back someday.
But for now, god bless Michigan and all other states that are struggling.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 14,272 times
My husband has a stable job (at least we think he does), but our money is so tight. I've been telling him what I have read on this website and how so many people have gotten out of Michigan and have a better life now. We toss around the idea of leaving the state, but we don't have the resources to travel for an interview. And then there is our family - they can't leave. They are older, everything is tied up in thier homes (which are worth almost nothing - though taxed on some imaginary, out of reality, astronomical number that some idiot thief made up).

It's really frustrating. And even the glimmer of hope at the thought of recalling Granholm looks untouchable. The only people who could afford to finance the recall have taken their money and left. Heck the only people who could really afford to live here have taken their money and left!

I can't even imagine how anyone will correct the problems that exist here. All the new programs or increases she's made - I can't see anyone coming in and just reversing the damage. I wonder how long it will take for Michigan to recover. I feel bad for the poor person who will take Granholms place. THEY will have really inherited huge problems.

If Jennifer Granholm had any dignity she would admit she is incapable of doing the job she is being paid an unwarranted high wage to do and resign. She should be ashamed of herself for what she has done to this state and to the people here. She has taken our money, driven away jobs - not to mention our families and friends, driven down the value of our homes because no one in their right mind would want to come here. And what has she given us? Bigger government, illegals and foreigners here on h1b visas (to replace all of our family and friends who were lucky enough to escape...gotta revitalize the tax base), crappy schools, a great big state police station, the lasting stigma of just the word Michigan or Detroit...did she give us those stupid blue things over 94?

She is taking our future...our children's future, because effects of her reign will no doubt be felt for years after she is gone.

Isn't there a movie called "Enemy of the State"? It should have Jennifer Granholms picture underneath!

The tables need to be turned on her.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM

21 posts, read 64,273 times
I certainly don't want to leave Michigan or my family behind, but after I graduate from CMU this May I'm moving south, preferably Florida. In my field of study (GIS), there are simply more jobs and better opportunities outside of Michigan, especially in the south. Also, as much as I love summer in Michigan, I have a hard time taking the cold.

I have only have one tattoo on my body, and it's the outline of Michigan with roots coming off the bottom. So I'm always rooted in the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan