Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 18,177 times

Advertisements

Really, if you could move right now would you? Jobs are pretty slow everywhere, this last winter wasn't that bad, and with global warming worsening, this year looks promising too! So what's holding you here? Family? Culture? Seasons? People? Can't sell your house?

Ive thought about moving a few times but have been turned off by every place I researched so I guess I'm staying put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Well...I moved in 2009 for employment. Returned in June 2012 hoping to find employment.

Looks like I will be moving (leaving) again this August for employment.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Never...I love Michigan, and my business is doing well. I will stay and fight to make Michigan great again.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM

15 posts, read 77,052 times
I left for Naples, Florida right after I graduated, stayed 1.5 yrs and here I am back in MI. As much as I liked the weather and people of FL, I missed family, freshwater lakes/great lakes, and the scenery of MI too much.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
I left 5 yrs ago due to employment woes. Too many layoffs and not enough opportunities. We basically moved where the best job was. I do miss Michigan but then I don't. Its hard to explain. I enjoy much lower property taxes and what my new state has to offer in terms of COL. I sometimes miss my family but they also wear on me so I feel conflicted about that as well. I think what I truly miss are the people in general. People just seem more friendly and welcoming in Michigan compared to where I live now. Also I dont remember people being so pushy about their political and religious beliefs back in MI. Being friendly wasn't hinged on what political party or church I belong to. Maybe thats changed I dunno. If we could have decent jobs again in Michigan, I think I would move back but I periodically check and haven't seen anything decent in my husband's field since we left. I telecommute so I could live anywhere now but my income isnt enough for us to live on so it looks like we wont be moving back anytime soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
If I already had a good bit of money I'd probably move to a big city like Chicago or NY. But mainly just because I want a taste of something different. Michigan will always be my home.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,816 times
I currently live in both Michigan and Iowa. With the majority of my most recent time in Michigan. In two years I will leave both states and relocate. Just speaking about Michigan I like its location and being near family but other than that the state has little to offer.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,902,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I currently live in both Michigan and Iowa. With the majority of my most recent time in Michigan. In two years I will leave both states and relocate. Just speaking about Michigan I like its location and being near family but other than that the state has little to offer.
I'm not getting on you, because to each his own...but when you say "little to offer" your talking job wise I hope.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
I moved to carmel indiana 2 yrs ago. (indy). I miss michigan but i love it here. Lots of michigan people have moved here and i see lots of michigan plates. Its a big ten town that hates chicago so we are just fine. Moved because of work. It is still close enough that a drive to watch a detroit game is only 4 hrs.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times
We've batted the idea of moving around a few times, mostly for professional reasons, but I will not go unless I am convinced another place can offer us a better quality of life than what we currently have. Time and again, we've determined that this is the best place for us to be. Take it from someone who's lived all over the country........Michigan, despite it's obvious flaws, is still an awesome place to call home.

Will we ever leave? I honestly don't know. There are other places that have tempted us, and I could advance my career if I were in a bigger metro. There are many things I miss about living in a larger town, too. I'm not so sure it's worth it, though. Since we're not in a position where we HAVE to move, my biggest fear is leaving and then realizing it was a mistake. We have deep, strong roots here. If we left, it would be hard for us to move back, as jobs are hard to come by in all of the state, but especially up north where we live now. What I can tell you is that should we remain here for the rest of our days.......I wouldn't complain one bit about it. I love Michigan and always will. It may not be for everyone, but it suits me just fine.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 08-09-2012 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan