Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,006,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Well, I love going up north, and I swear when I go up that way I see quite a few towns, cities, people, cars, houses, and on and on, so I imagine someone likes living there. Just because you hate it, does not mean everyone hates it.

Northern Michigan is sparsely populated. Your post makes no sense. By your logic, about a million people love Detroit.

Still avoidance on the issue on where is there to work in northern Michigan? There never was a good economy. Working in consumer finance, I have seen more intimately the economy in northern Michigan. 80% of my clients that can get approved for a loan, are retirees. Jobs don't pay enough up here for a customer to qualify for a home loan. The one that do have jobs where they can afford a home, half of them went unemployed in the past year. There simply isn't an industry in northern Michigan. The biggest employer is Walmart. No matter how positive you think, that isn't going to change. Even when the economy was good, it was still bad in northern Michigan. Even the few skilled jobs in northern Michigan pay considerably less than any other area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I'd hazard a guess that you're at the lower end of the income scale without any real marketable skills. My wife & I live on Old Mission Peninsula and make a nice living. There is a large segment of the population that is unemployed, was brought up thinking the state owes them a living, and uses their Bridge Cards to buy soda pop, chocolate and candy. Are u in that group???

Well you are absolutely wrong. I have a bachelors degree in marketing and business administration, and am a licensed mortgage broker. The company I worked for downsized but offered me a position at the Gaylord office for a reduced salary.

Don't hazard guesses about me again.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I see Harper woods as your location, so Im assuming that is where you want to go back too. Last I knew harper woods is in the Detoilet area, which in my opinion is the very worst part of the state. Dirty, crowded, rundown and crimeridden. Not my idea of a great place, heck I dont even like visiting the place. Gaylord on the other hand is a paradise compared to Harpers woods. Id rather make 8 dollars an hour flipping burgers in Gaylord than 100k in ANY southeast Mi town. Totaly not worth it to live in the assylum even if you do make more money.

LMAO Gaylord is much more run down than Harper Woods. The residents wouldn't be able to get away with half the crap they do in Gaylord.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Well you are absolutely wrong. I have a bachelors degree in marketing and business administration, and am a licensed mortgage broker. The company I worked for downsized but offered me a position at the Gaylord office for a reduced salary.

Don't hazard guesses about me again.
Let me guess; you're mid 20's, thinks a bachelors means squat, Believes that because you lived close to Detroit you are somehow better and more "refined" than anybody who lives outside an urban area. Wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground unless it had been on a test somewhere in junior college. And think because you write loans you know how everything works in an area.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Let me guess; you're mid 20's, thinks a bachelors means squat, Believes that because you lived close to Detroit you are somehow better and more "refined" than anybody who lives outside an urban area. Wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground unless it had been on a test somewhere in junior college. And think because you write loans you know how everything works in an area.

By all means educate us on the robust economy of northern Michigan. Just like the employment in Gaylord thread, I speak the truth about the economy and people attack me. Please feel free to discuss the northern Michigan economy, or continue to attack me to divert attention away from the fact that economy is not good in northern Michigan.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:29 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Never said the economy isn't in trouble. You make it sound like everybody is drooling on themselves and licking the windows of the short bus anyplace outside of the Detroit metro area though. Remember, you had to go to Gaylord to hold onto your job by your own postings. Job situation must be better in Gaylord than where you were at in Harper Woods. Just saying.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Never said the economy isn't in trouble. You make it sound like everybody is drooling on themselves and licking the windows of the short bus anyplace outside of the Detroit metro area though. Remember, you had to go to Gaylord to hold onto your job by your own postings. Job situation must be better in Gaylord than where you were at in Harper Woods. Just saying.

I could've went out of state but I chose to stay in Michigan. At the time my fiance wasn't employed so I didn't want to take the risk of being unemployed. Now that she found a job, (one that pays double than Gaylord) I can leave this job and I fully believe I'll be able to find a comparable job in Detroit.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,427,873 times
Quote:
I could've went out of state but I chose to stay in Michigan. At the time my fiance wasn't employed so I didn't want to take the risk of being unemployed. Now that she found a job, (one that pays double than Gaylord) I can leave this job and I fully believe I'll be able to find a comparable job in Detroit.
If you want to make tons of money, follow the herd to Texas or New York or Phoenix or any of the other jam-packed big city "boomtown" crapholes. You won't make six figures in Northern Michigan, and good luck finding a job in Detroit right now.

Gaylord (yes, it IS pronounced Gaylurd) is a great town. People move there for the quality of life, not the opportunity to make a lot of money. If you value money, Northern MI is not your place. If you enjoy a slow-paced, Northern way of life with friendly people in a beautiful setting, then head for northern MI.

With all of that said, I'm not saying that Northern MI has a great economy. It certainly doesn't. 24% unemployment is nothing to rave about. I'd be on my way to the UP or far northern LP if I could find a job. I love small towns and the lifestyle of Northern Michigan and the rest of the Upper Midwest. North Dakota is as close as I can get and still be employed, so I'm going there. I could find work in Chicago or NWI, but then I would go insane. Michigan will always be my home, and I'm proud to support it.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM

9,475 posts, read 10,824,407 times
Quote:
Northern Michigan is sparsely populated. Your post makes no sense. By your logic, about a million people love Detroit.

Still avoidance on the issue on where is there to work in northern Michigan? There never was a good economy. Working in consumer finance, I have seen more intimately the economy in northern Michigan. 80% of my clients that can get approved for a loan, are retirees. Jobs don't pay enough up here for a customer to qualify for a home loan. The one that do have jobs where they can afford a home, half of them went unemployed in the past year. There simply isn't an industry in northern Michigan. The biggest employer is Walmart. No matter how positive you think, that isn't going to change. Even when the economy was good, it was still bad in northern Michigan. Even the few skilled jobs in northern Michigan pay considerably less than any other area.

One thing you are not considering. Yea, lots of walmart jobs, meijer, hotels etc. In Metro detoilet you could never buy a house on a job like that. Houses start at 150k and beyond. In the rest of the state homes can be found for 50k-70k for decent starter homes. Even if you only make 24k a year at the walmart you should be able to buy a house. I dont live anywhere near Gaylord but I do live in rural central Michigan, and the average wage in my town is very low just like what your describing in Gaylord. However home ownership is readliy available here. Many have low wage jobs, real careers are rare out here, but most people own thier homes. It is all relative, Low wages=low home cost. High wages in a big shot town= high home costs. Im not sure you live any better in fancy pants suburban Detoilet. You may make more money, but you spend all that money on housing, and fancy cars and fancy clothing. You people in southeat Michigan think your better than us hicks because you make more, and have fancy titles , but you dont live any better than we do, and you spend all your time chasing career and money. Your towns are crowded, traffic terrible and Detoilet proper is so close you can smell it. you could not pay me enough money to live there. Michigan south of I69 and east of US23 is like another world, hardly like Michigan at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,908,568 times
Yes, no one is saying northern Michigans economy is booming. I personally would MUCH rather just get by and live in northern Mi., then get up every morning and fight traffic day in and day out. I have family members and friends who do that, and after a while it drains the life out of them. This is probably what has happened to you.

Last edited by michmoldman; 02-18-2010 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan