Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,855 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to North Michigan around East Jordan, how is the work situation around there and Petoskey. I could even drive to Traverse City. My relitives told me that Traverse City has lost many businesses, like Mongolian BBQ and the mall has many empty slots. I do not have relitives in Petoskey and EJ is a smaller town. Any ideas would be helpful. I work in real estate and I know its bad but was hoping for it to pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM

265 posts, read 801,648 times
Things seem still pretty slow up here. It's probably difficult to make any money in the real estate business right now.

I heard EJ Iron Works is hiring so at least that's a good sign.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
It's fantastic. Just have a positive attitude and jobs will be there for the picking. In fact, I'm leaving mine in March. Just head to Gaylurd (as the locals call it). You'll be the lowest paid employee in the state since the wages are terrible in northern Michigan but don't worry, just be positive and everything will figure itself out.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
It's fantastic. Just have a positive attitude and jobs will be there for the picking. In fact, I'm leaving mine in March. Just head to Gaylurd (as the locals call it). You'll be the lowest paid employee in the state since the wages are terrible in northern Michigan but don't worry, just be positive and everything will figure itself out.
I'm detecting some sarcasm here.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I'm detecting some sarcasm here.

If I post truthfully how terrible the economy is in northern Michigan, everyone will come out of the woodwork and say I'm not being positive so I'll just get it out of the way now. I work in consumer finance in Gaylord and service most of northern lower Michigan and I can tell you the bottom is falling out of the economy up north. It's all service industry. Meaning just working 40 hours is hard to come by, let alone livable wages. There is a Meijers opening in Petoskey. Hundreds of people applied for jobs. If you are positive you'll get a job as a minimum wage cashier for about 20 hours a week.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
If I post truthfully how terrible the economy is in northern Michigan, everyone will come out of the woodwork and say I'm not being positive so I'll just get it out of the way now. I work in consumer finance in Gaylord and service most of northern lower Michigan and I can tell you the bottom is falling out of the economy up north. It's all service industry. Meaning just working 40 hours is hard to come by, let alone livable wages. There is a Meijers opening in Petoskey. Hundreds of people applied for jobs. If you are positive you'll get a job as a minimum wage cashier for about 20 hours a week.
And if your negative you wont get the job, and have no money. But why would you need money in northern Michigan anyways...Scolls says its the worst place on earth.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
And if your negative you wont get the job, and have no money. But why would you need money in northern Michigan anyways...Scolls says its the worst place on earth.

No scolls never said that. It's a good place to visit but to live year round is terrible. What is so great about an area that never had a good economy, has poor health care, no amenities, no culture, complete lack of any social or night life, and average schools?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
No scolls never said that. It's a good place to visit but to live year round is terrible. What is so great about an area that never had a good economy, has poor health care, no amenities, no culture, complete lack of any social or night life, and average schools?
Well, I love going up north, and I swear when I go up that way I see quite a few towns, cities, people, cars, houses, and on and on, so I imagine someone likes living there. Just because you hate it, does not mean everyone hates it.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:

I see Harper woods as your location, so Im assuming that is where you want to go back too. Last I knew harper woods is in the Detoilet area, which in my opinion is the very worst part of the state. Dirty, crowded, rundown and crimeridden. Not my idea of a great place, heck I dont even like visiting the place. Gaylord on the other hand is a paradise compared to Harpers woods. Id rather make 8 dollars an hour flipping burgers in Gaylord than 100k in ANY southeast Mi town. Totaly not worth it to live in the assylum even if you do make more money.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
I'd hazard a guess that you're at the lower end of the income scale without any real marketable skills. My wife & I live on Old Mission Peninsula and make a nice living. There is a large segment of the population that is unemployed, was brought up thinking the state owes them a living, and uses their Bridge Cards to buy soda pop, chocolate and candy. Are u in that group???

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan