Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,904,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
"What the #$#@ else is there to do in Gaylord?" Are you kidding? Have you ever been on a snowmachine, ice fishing, rabbit hunting?? I bet you have not spent much time outdoors. Maybe if you did you may realize what living in Michigan is all about. Maybe the negitivity of the city is ingrained too deep in you to change. If you hate northern Mi, maybe you should stay in that stink hole you call Madison hts, or whatever suburb it is. They all look alike, and all run together anyhow. Just out of curiousity, you say theres nothing to do in Gaylord, what on earth do you do in a place like suburban Detoilet?? There is only so much shopping you can do.
I guarantee you scrolls is not an outdoor person, Most likely hates hunting, fishing, boating, and being in the cold for no more than 5 minutes. You MUST be an outdoor person to live in northern Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You haven't posted FACTS yet, you post your past personal experiances as fact, but that is far actually BEING facts. The FACTS are that while unemployment is high (between 10-20% by County), that means that there are 80-90% who ARE working.
MI Unemployment by County
US Bureau of Labor: MI unemployment by year
MI unemployment rates 2009

Few houses are entering foreclosure overall, 2.6% in 2009 which is too many, but not something most are facing or going through.
Foreclosures: 1 in every 38 houses received a foreclosure notice in Michigan in 2009. In case you don't comprehend that, what it means, is that 37 out of 38 did NOT. That put Michigan at #8 in the Nation, not the top. Here are a couple more places to look at this FACT.
MI Foreclosures
MI Foreclosures by county

Lets see your FACTS to disprove those. Those are cold hard numbers that back up what people have been saying all along. Yes times are tough, but they are not hopeless and as bad as a few here make them out to be. Cold hard FACTS.

Most people in northern Michigan who own homes are retirees. The median incomes almost all over northern Michigan are well below state averages. Poverty levels are above state average. One of the top industries for females in Gaylord is social assistance.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I have to become Elmer Fudd to live in Gaylord.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Do they make flannel laterhosen? Go wander in the woods in some flannel laterhosen and a wool hat and catch me a wabbit. Sounds like good times.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Most people in northern Michigan who own homes are retirees.
I posted links to my statements. PLEASE post one that shows that MOST home owners in Northern Michigan are Retirees.

Quote:
The median incomes almost all over northern Michigan are well below state averages.
And that means Jack-Squat how exactly? Not everybody lives to chase the dollar. What is more important is the ratio of income to cost of Living. Let's see those numbers.

Quote:
Poverty levels are above state average.
Starting to see a trend here. You think a persons worth is strictly their bank balance and not the person themselves. I know plenty of people that are considered below the poverty line (More in Maine than in Michigan) but live very full, productive, HAPPY lives. Their kids do not want or go hungry. They dress neat and clean, maybe not the latest fashion, but what does that really mean overall at the end of a day.

Quote:
One of the top industries for females in Gaylord is social assistance.
I take it you also have the FACTS to back up that statement? I doubt you do.

Right back to personal arguments, and derogatory remarks about the area.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 PM

199 posts, read 543,285 times
Why does every thread about Northern Michigan turn into this?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I posted links to my statements. PLEASE post one that shows that MOST home owners in Northern Michigan are Retirees.

And that means Jack-Squat how exactly? Not everybody lives to chase the dollar. What is more important is the ratio of income to cost of Living. Let's see those numbers.

Starting to see a trend here. You think a persons worth is strictly their bank balance and not the person themselves. I know plenty of people that are considered below the poverty line (More in Maine than in Michigan) but live very full productive, HAPPY lives.

I take it you also have the FACTS to back up that statement? I doubt you do.

Right back to personal arguments, and derogatory remarks about the area.

Quit with this about chasing the dollar. It shows that there simply aren't good paying jobs in northern Michigan. The whole point of this thread is jobs in northern Michigan. The lack of quality jobs is definitely appropriate.

Got some high skill areas like food service, beverage and department stores.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
Why does every thread about Northern Michigan turn into this?
Because I post the fact that northern Michigan doesn't have good paying jobs and people jump out of the woodwork to attack me since precious northern Michigan isn't being praised.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM

199 posts, read 543,285 times
So your job doesn't pay good? That's basically what you are implying.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
So your job doesn't pay good? That's basically what you are implying.

No it doesn't. That is exactly what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan