Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 17,968 times

Advertisements

We are allowed to wear our ACU's as long as we are not in a place that serves booze. yea i like wearing my ACU because its alot easier to get on and off. if you where you Class B's or A's you have to worry about all your ribbions being right. so the ACU is easier to maintain then the dress uniforms are. i don't agree however about how some soilders act while they were wearing it, yet i still haven't seen on get way out of line. so in the end i enjoy wearing my ACU's alot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 PM

860 posts, read 2,209,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerboy View Post
We are allowed to wear our ACU's as long as we are not in a place that serves booze. yea i like wearing my ACU because its alot easier to get on and off. if you where you Class B's or A's you have to worry about all your ribbions being right. so the ACU is easier to maintain then the dress uniforms are. i don't agree however about how some soilders act while they were wearing it, yet i still haven't seen on get way out of line. so in the end i enjoy wearing my ACU's alot better.

I admit when I first went through MEPS I saw one of the personnel working there wearing BDU's. I remember thinking it looked very strange to see a service member wearing those in an office environment. Now I don't give it a second thought.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 PM

470 posts, read 1,157,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
What's with the Army permitting ACU's (Army Combat Uniform - the new "dusty" pattern) to be worn everywhere on all occasions? Todays paper had photos of a returning soldier from the 1st Cav. at a party at his grandparents and he and a buddy were wearing their ACU with a Cavalry stetson. I have seen soldiers at city parks with their kids playing and the soldiers are in ACUs. I have been in two State-wide ceremonies recently where the Army types wore the ACU when the Service uniform ( with gold buttons) would have been more appropriate. Not to mention parades.
I can't remember when I last saw a soldier with the dark green pants and lime green shirt w/ shoulder tabs.
Of course in every airport you can see troops in ACU's even though they are not on their way home from the Middle East.
The Army is changing from the Green AG44 service uniform to a copy of the Dress Blue uniform. Maybe they should save the money since no one will wear it anyway. Everyone is in in the "work clothes" of the ACU - what we used to call "utilities" or "Fatigues".
We are at war...and the Army is dressing for that fact.
But if you wear the uniform..wear it correctly.
A poorly worn uniform is like a soiled flag.
No reason for it.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM

17 posts, read 54,484 times
As a civilian whose never been in the military I take care how I dress and act in public because I want to set an example to my kids. I would expect no less from men in uniform.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,224,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
As a civilian whose never been in the military I take care how I dress and act in public because I want to set an example to my kids. I would expect no less from men in uniform.
amen. Those idiots should be jacked up in a hurry (ie disciplined)

Although I guess I'm sheltered, being a Reservist and all, as I haven't seen these mental midgets wearing the uniform so improperly and acting like immature losers/thugs/etc. Although - and I know how this will sound - but I get the impression that has traditionally been a bigger issue with the Army and Navy vs AF and USMC.

That aside, since when is wearing ANY uniform on a commercial flight anything other than outright stupid? In fact we (USAF) are trained NOT to do that, as it's like painting a bulls eye on yourself....ESPECIALLY when going into more hostile areas/countries.

And THAT aside, I have also always hated how parts of uniforms can be worn by anyone anywhere....not stuff like the t shirts or boots of course, I mean those things clearly and distinctly military, like the ABU shirts or pants, etc. You want to wear that, earn the right.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 AM

45,572 posts, read 60,857,128 times
The only service members I've seen acting like morons in any uniform while in public are a few of the Midshipmen in Annapolis.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,126,615 times
Ive noticed this as a recurring pattern in the US Army. I see soldiers wearing the ACU everywhere; at the malls, at the train station, on recruiting details, etc. This is one of those times where I wish that the US Army was more like the British Army, in the British Army the combat uniform (called No.3 DPMs - Disruptive Pattern Material) are only worn in (start the drumroll) ... combat environments and on the actual base (ex. training and fatigue duties). Recruiting details, trips home to family, day to day work, etc they wear the No. 2 dress which is an olive drab color with peaked cap. For ceremonial occasions they wear the No. 1 dress which is either red, blue, or green depending on the regiment or corps (think the uniforms worn in the movie Zulu but without the pith helmet which is only worn in certain tropical postings with the No.1 dress).

It's sloppy and sends a message that professionalism does not exist. Show some decency and wear the blue ASU or the in the process of being phased out Green Service Uniform.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 AM

10,181 posts, read 20,818,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
I dont like seeing Soldiers (or any military member) wearing their ACUs out in public. Probalby the biggest reason is because when I see them, they are usually acting a fool or their uniform is totally jacked the heck up.

For instance, I'll be at the mall and I'll see groups of soldiers walking like thugs, their trousers hanging over their boots, and them talking to each other like they're back on the block (using slang, cursing, etc). You're representing the military and supposedly a professional and it doesn't show when you act like a douche bag.

My friend is in the Army and he said the reason why Soldiers are allowed to be out and about with their ACUs is because they want to show the American People that Soldiers are out there and they're safe. Well that's fine, but when I see retards in uniform I think to myself, these are the guys fighting in our interest?

In the Marine Corps, we are not allowed to wear our MCCUUs (Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform) outside base unless it's an emergency. But you'll never see a Marine (or shouldnt) out in public with their uniform. Rarely you'll have Marines fly back on a commercial flight from overseas into a commercial airport wearing the uniform but I'm sure they had to get permission beforehand. If Marines need to be in uniform out in public they'll be wearing either their service uniform (green trousers) or dress uniform (blue trousers) which is more commonly seen with recruiters.
I agree with most of what you're saying. I'm just curious though, as an NCO, when you witness this behavior by soldiers or any uniformed member, do you correct them? As an NCO you're obligated 24/7 to call out misconduct and there is nothing wrong with pulling a soldier off to the side at the mall or wherever you may be who is acting like an ass in uniform or looking like a duffle bag, and setting him straight. If he gives you any lip, his name is taped to his chest and you can always channel that back to his first sergeant, who I'm sure would light his ass up for disrespecting an NCO, regardless of brach of service.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,592,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
What's with the Army permitting ACU's (Army Combat Uniform - the new "dusty" pattern) to be worn everywhere on all occasions? Todays paper had photos of a returning soldier from the 1st Cav. at a party at his grandparents and he and a buddy were wearing their ACU with a Cavalry stetson. I have seen soldiers at city parks with their kids playing and the soldiers are in ACUs. I have been in two State-wide ceremonies recently where the Army types wore the ACU when the Service uniform ( with gold buttons) would have been more appropriate. Not to mention parades.
I can't remember when I last saw a soldier with the dark green pants and lime green shirt w/ shoulder tabs.
Of course in every airport you can see troops in ACU's even though they are not on their way home from the Middle East.
The Army is changing from the Green AG44 service uniform to a copy of the Dress Blue uniform. Maybe they should save the money since no one will wear it anyway. Everyone is in in the "work clothes" of the ACU - what we used to call "utilities" or "Fatigues".
Glad to see that you care more about what the young person wore at his grandparents house, than his service in whatever war zone he was in...

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,126,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Glad to see that you care more about what the young person wore at his grandparents house, than his service in whatever war zone he was in...
Wearing the ACU outside of a combat environment or a training/fatigue assignment says "I am a sloppy bum and I don't care". It's insulting to the dignity of the service.

Besides, we won't know where he/she served unless we see the campaign or award ribbons ... which are worn on the ASU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues