Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:21 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cotton is a poser.

In fact, there is even a thread on people like Cotton.
What? Cotton is not a poster, goodness, you partisan hacks are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:12 PM

14,296 posts, read 4,653,353 times
Quote:
Cotton is a poser.

In fact, there is even a thread on people like Cotton.
What’s your military background?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 6,381,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Not prior Army, so no first-hand experience here, however my take on it and a general consensus among other prior-service guys I know is that unless you have actually passed the Ranger course AND served in the 75th, you aren't really a Ranger.
Passing school just makes one Ranger qualified at best so to speak. I have known guys who were judge advocates who got a seat in the course. No brainer those guys will never do Ranger stuff, but undoubtedly some will sport the tab and mention it whenever possible. I think we know those types...

So, while the course is no joke by any means, would one just simpling passing the course and not even having a combat MOS be a Ranger? One has to be kind of honest with himself there. May sound like splitting hairs to some but I believe there is quite a fine line between just going to school and not actually doing Ranger stuff and going to school and then doing Ranger stuff.

Like if one goes to culinary school but never cooks profesionally after that, is he/she a chef or just a culinary school graduate?
Prior Army here. There is honestly a spectrum of how much of a Ranger a soldier really is, but unless you've been around the term and its subtleties a lot you might not pick up on it.

There are those who hold only the tab by virtue of graduating the school, and the usual term is "Ranger-qualified" or "Ranger tabbed" ("only" is kind of a bad word, because that school is really, really tough and respect to anyone who goes). The Army actively encourages many light infantrymen to go and get tabbed because they consider it a fantastic leadership school.

There are those who hold a tab and have previously served in the Regiment (and some small number who passed RIP/RASP, served in the Regiment, but for whatever reason never finished Ranger school itself).

And there are those who are tabbed and currently serving as a Ranger.

I think Representative Crow, the guy accusing Senator Cotton of misusing the term, may be overdoing it. Senator Cotton is "only" Ranger tabbed and Representative Crow is one step up in Rangerness (having served in the Regiment), but Senator Cotton didn't exactly phone it in, having served as a Platoon Leader in the 101st, the Old Guard, and a Provincial Reconstruction Team.

If he (Senator Cotton) actually did what the Salon story said, and stated he served as a Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan, that would be a steep exaggeration. The report is he said to the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record that "My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition." He was NOT a Ranger in Iraq or Afghanistan. He was a combat infantryman, who held a Ranger tab, who was in those bad places. Senator Cotton knows the difference.

Senator Cotton did NOT serve as a Ranger in Iraq or Afghanistan and I think he probably ought never even imply he did. If he actually did let it slip implying that...he should probably not do that again. But we shouldn't overdo the beatings on it, because he DID serve in a hard, thankless job in those places. Easy distinction to gloss over or misunderstand.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:14 PM

857 posts, read 850,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Prior Army here. There is honestly a spectrum of how much of a Ranger a soldier really is, but unless you've been around the term and its subtleties a lot you might not pick up on it.

There are those who hold only the tab by virtue of graduating the school, and the usual term is "Ranger-qualified" or "Ranger tabbed" ("only" is kind of a bad word, because that school is really, really tough and respect to anyone who goes). The Army actively encourages many light infantrymen to go and get tabbed because they consider it a fantastic leadership school.

There are those who hold a tab and have previously served in the Regiment (and some small number who passed RIP/RASP, served in the Regiment, but for whatever reason never finished Ranger school itself).

And there are those who are tabbed and currently serving as a Ranger.

I think Representative Crow, the guy accusing Senator Cotton of misusing the term, may be overdoing it. Senator Cotton is "only" Ranger tabbed and Representative Crow is one step up in Rangerness (having served in the Regiment), but Senator Cotton didn't exactly phone it in, having served as a Platoon Leader in the 101st, the Old Guard, and a Provincial Reconstruction Team.

If he (Senator Cotton) actually did what the Salon story said, and stated he served as a Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan, that would be a steep exaggeration. The report is he said to the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record that "My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition." He was NOT a Ranger in Iraq or Afghanistan. He was a combat infantryman, who held a Ranger tab, who was in those bad places. Senator Cotton knows the difference.

Senator Cotton did NOT serve as a Ranger in Iraq or Afghanistan and I think he probably ought never even imply he did. If he actually did let it slip implying that...he should probably not do that again. But we shouldn't overdo the beatings on it, because he DID serve in a hard, thankless job in those places. Easy distinction to gloss over or misunderstand.
Well said. Ha, "one steup in Rangerness" is a great saying.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,594,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
What’s your military background?
Army 1985-1992.

Why do you care?

Cotton kind of reminds me of ole Pat Robertson back in the day, in fact, I was in the Army at the time ole Pat was running for President, and some of the Born-Again's were solidly in his corner. He said he "fought with the Marine Corps in Korea", which was a huge exaggeration. Pat was connected, his father was a Senator himself, I believe, and I remember reading the story about his troop ship heading for Korea and their duty as front line Marines in the war, and for reasons no one was told, the troop ship diverted to Japan, and ole Pat got off there, and they included two other Marines with him, lest it look suspicious. After 6 months of easy duty, the other two demanded they rejoin their unit in Korea, and ole Pat had no choice but to demand the same. When these three returned to Korea, the other two were sent to the front lines, while Pat was sent to the rear, where he became a "liquor officer", in charge of keeping the officers club well stocked with spirits.

So when Pat mentioned this in his Presidential campaign about his time "fighting" in Korea, his Marine Corps peers quickly made Pat retract that inaccurate characterization of his military service.

Last edited by odanny; 01-26-2021 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Army 1985-1992.

Why do you care?
Because it’s pretty ballsy to call a decorated Afghan and Iraq war veteran like Cotton a poser.

Also, what do you think about “female Rangers”?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...e-to-stay.html

Old 01-26-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Because it’s pretty ballsy to call a decorated Afghan and Iraq war veteran like Cotton a poser.

What's your military background?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:35 PM

Everyone with Ranger tab refers to himself as a Ranger. The winners from 2019 Best RANGER Competition were a pair of officers from 101st Airborne, the same unit that Cotton commanded and served.

Were they (the winners) not best Rangers? What do you suggest we should call Rangers winning Best Ranger Competition if they are not from 75th Ranger Regiment? Best tabbed-Ranger? Best Ranger-but-not-really-Ranger?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What's your military background?
Army (AD+NG) 2001-present

Old 01-26-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Wow, one of those female Rangers is an AH-64 pilot with the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade at Ft. Carson, I served three and half years in that same brigade working on those AH-64's. Was there when they were brand new, and spent 6 months deployed to Hood learning how to work on them, and watched them fly to Carson for the first time. I guess it's possible that some of them are still in service 28 years later.

I say these women, if they can graduate Ranger School, are indeed Rangers, and bad ass women. More power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues