Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:00 AM

14,235 posts, read 4,605,890 times

Advertisements

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...alled-it-dumb/

General Thomas, former commander of 75th RR and US SOCOM, defended Cotton.
CSM Merritt, former regimental CSM of 75th RR, defended Cotton.

I'll take these men's words over that poser poster odanny from citydata
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,023,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

I totally agree. I would say that settles it...........

Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times
You called Cotton a poser:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cotton is a poser.

In fact, there is even a thread on people like Cotton.
Yet went on to call the female Rangers "Rangers":

Quote:
The two female Ranger's completed the 8 week Ranger School.

Yep, they earned it. What is your problem with it? That they did something you can't do?

Quote:
Wow, one of those female Rangers is an AH-64 pilot with the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade at Ft. Carson, I served three and half years in that same brigade working on those AH-64's. Was there when they were brand new, and spent 6 months deployed to Hood learning how to work on them, and watched them fly to Carson for the first time. I guess it's possible that some of them are still in service 28 years later.

I say these women, if they can graduate Ranger School, are indeed Rangers, and bad ass women. More power to them.
Yet you miss the entire point:

Quote:
Did you have a point? Perhaps you should start there. All I heard was whining.
The point is that Cotton graduated Ranger school also, yet you call him a "poser" for calling himself a Ranger, yet you call the female Rangers "Rangers" with no issue.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You called Cotton a poser:

Yet went on to call the female Rangers "Rangers":

Yet you miss the entire point:

The point is that Cotton graduated Ranger school also, yet you call him a "poser" for calling himself a Ranger, yet you call the female Rangers "Rangers" with no issue.
sometimes hate can blind you............

Old 01-27-2021, 05:12 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,355,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

CPT Kristen Griest, a Ranger School graduate, is currently an Infantry officer and commanded a company in the 82nd.

If she deploys, does she get to say she made hard decisions as a Ranger in Afghanistan? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
CPT Kristen Griest, a Ranger School graduate, is currently an Infantry officer and commanded a company in the 82nd.

If she deploys, does she get to say she made hard decisions as a Ranger in Afghanistan? Inquiring minds want to know.
If the highest ranking (former) O and E from of 75th Ranger Regiment/SOCOM said it is Ok, then who am I to judge?

Old 01-27-2021, 06:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times
I was trying to put myself in such position, like how I would refer to myself. However, I do not feel my quals line up correctly, plus I lack the cultural, let alone official, knowledge about the term "Ranger".

So for example, if I am say in Iraq, deployed with a SEAL team but not a SEAL, would I say "my time as a submariner in Iraq..."? Or my friend who is a SEAL, but deployed often not in a SEAL team, but he always referred to himself as a "SEAL" despite doing duty with a team or not. Not being on a SEAL team does not make you not a SEAL. I mean I am always a submariner despite what duty I am doing.

It actually seems odd now that I think about it, that you can graduate from Ranger school, get the little tab thing or whatever it is called, yet still some prohibitions on calling yourself a Ranger? You cannot say you are a Ranger and you are attached to such and such command?

A SEAL can be pushing papers in DC, and still say "as a SEAL pushing papers in DC..." because that is what he is, despite what duty he is doing at the moment.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I was trying to put myself in such position, like how I would refer to myself. However, I do not feel my quals line up correctly, plus I lack the cultural, let alone official, knowledge about the term "Ranger".

So for example, if I am say in Iraq, deployed with a SEAL team but not a SEAL, would I say "my time as a submariner in Iraq..."? Or my friend who is a SEAL, but deployed often not in a SEAL team, but he always referred to himself as a "SEAL" despite doing duty with a team or not. Not being on a SEAL team does not make you not a SEAL. I mean I am always a submariner despite what duty I am doing.

It actually seems odd now that I think about it, that you can graduate from Ranger school, get the little tab thing or whatever it is called, yet still some prohibitions on calling yourself a Ranger? You cannot say you are a Ranger and you are attached to such and such command?

A SEAL can be pushing papers in DC, and still say "as a SEAL pushing papers in DC..." because that is what he is, despite what duty he is doing at the moment.
It’s all about Army tradition. RS established in the 50s, and initially it was not a leadership course until the 60s when Army infantry officers were voluntold to attend RS.

Same thing with 101st Airborne Division, when was the last time 101st jumped out of an airplane? Probably WW2. Yet, they are still “airborne”. Tradition

Also, I know plenty of guys who served and deployed with 75th RR but they are not tabbed.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM

The military can really produce some strange scenarios. I came back from vietnam to ETS at oakland,california. It took about 3 days. The first day we were in line to get our Class "'A's". stepped up to the window to get our unit patches,rank ETC..........My buddy and I were both 1st aviation brigade. The sarge said I am all out of those. You guys just pick one out off the wall here. We said that is not right. "well boys, you get a unit patch sewn on or you don't get out" " Here........" he threw us both a screamin eagle patch. "I got lots of these,so for the neaxt two days you boys are in the 101st airborne"

That patch is still on my class A's. So am I airborne???

When I got my DD-214 it said I had been awarded the Army commendation medal...........I never received that award...........

until about 8 years ago I did not know I had been assigned to a company in Vietnam that I was unaware of. For 3 weeks I was in the 162nd Assault helicopter company......who knew?

I have met many vets with a lot more tangled messes than these...........

Old 01-27-2021, 09:18 PM

Anybody here remember that communist West Point cadet, Spenser Rapone, with his Che Guevara tshirt?

He was a prior service Army assigned and deployed to combat with 75th Ranger Regiment as a 11B enlistee before he attended WP. He does not have the tab though.

So, is he an Army Ranger or no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues