Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:08 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Something just does not add up in your comment about Russian “brutality”.

How come then that Russian installed government lasted nearly 7 years after the Russians left vs US installed government left while the US military group was still there?

Another comparison: we have shutdown our embassy already- before the Taliban even entered the capital.

The Russian Embassy is still open as far as I know- they are not evacuating

I looked up the official reason that made the Russians leave the Afghanistan in 1989- they said that their Constitution- USSR at the time- did not allow them “the interference into internal affairs of other countries.”

When half of the country became under the Taliban in 1989 and half was under the Russian friendly government who officially had military assistance pact with the USSR- the Russians said- it is the same as a civil war in the country- and they could not support just half of the population of Afghanistan…

That was an official explanation- not that they “lost” the war.
In their mind it was not the war, but military assistance to a friendly government next to their border.
because the soviets used the existing non-existent government which was at the time a loosely co-existing tribes. They paid the king pins in each area to keep the peace. What did we do? We took their drug money from them and try to make them change their underwear once a week instead of once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 11:00 PM

432 posts, read 285,059 times
Africans don't want Americans there. We have our own problems we need to fix Italy somalia Japan can all handle there affairs w out the US. Thats bs and an excuse to continue killing and wasting money

Old 10-06-2021, 07:03 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
because the soviets used the existing non-existent government which was at the time a loosely co-existing tribes. They paid the king pins in each area to keep the peace. What did we do? We took their drug money from them and try to make them change their underwear once a week instead of once a year.
It amazes me sometimes how people will post the most inane comments about something they’re obviously not understanding.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/p...ts-new-regime/

After toppling the Ashraf Ghani government in August of this year, the Taliban has announced its intention[4] to rid Afghanistan of drugs. Taliban interlocutors stated that same objective in conversations with me in winter 2019.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:51 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
It amazes me sometimes how people will post the most inane comments about something they’re obviously not understanding.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/p...ts-new-regime/

After toppling the Ashraf Ghani government in August of this year, the Taliban has announced its intention[4] to rid Afghanistan of drugs. Taliban interlocutors stated that same objective in conversations with me in winter 2019.
So you’re saying, based on the article, that they are listening to Nancy Reagan and just saying no to drugs. Sounds great until they realize they have a $2.5 billion hole in their budget. And who wouldn’t wouldn’t take the tally-ban at their word?

Old 10-07-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
So you’re saying, based on the article, that they are listening to Nancy Reagan and just saying no to drugs. Sounds great until they realize they have a $2.5 billion hole in their budget. And who wouldn’t wouldn’t take the tally-ban at their word?
It’s all so simple in your mind, huh? The Taliban functions an extremely fanatic version of Islam. Drugs are a no-go.

But I’m guessing you know more than Brookings. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It’s all so simple in your mind, huh? The Taliban functions an extremely fanatic version of Islam. Drugs are a no-go.

But I’m guessing you know more than Brookings. Thanks for the laugh.
You seriously don’t know history. There were opium fields in the 1990’s. Just because the Taliban doesn’t believe in drugs doesn’t mean they skip growing this crop

1999 was a bumper crop for opium under Taliban rule in Afghanistan. There was over 80,000 hectares growing opium. Interesting that the UN pulled their drug reporting on Afghanistan in the ‘90’s.
https://moi.gov.af/sites/default/fil...duction%29.pdf

And for what is projected now that the Taliban is ruling again, here is the opium outlook and it’s not zero.
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/20...d-fuel-taliban

The Brookings institute is left leaning and has an interest to paint the Taliban in good light. Surprisingly the Middle East helps fund Brookings.
https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...n-governments/

No snarky end to my post or personal insult. It’s a fun challenge to show the facts. Feel free to send thanks.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:16 AM

You’re funny. So you’ll counter my Brookings with the UN, then claim my source is left leaning? More left leaning than the UN. Probably impossible. Also, you follow that up with AlJazeera?

However, I’ll quote directly from the UN report, which I’m guessing you didn’t actually read:

Eradication and Local Bans
The survey shows widespread awareness of the ruling authorities’ decree requiring all poppy farmers in Taliban controlled areas to reduce their cultivation area by one third. However, the survey also shows that compliance with this decree has occurred only in parts of the country.
The survey notes that, in nine of the twenty-two provinces surveyed, all of the respondents reported that there had been no eradication efforts. In a further five provinces, more than 70% of respondents reported that there had been no eradication efforts in their village.
On the other hand, the 50% reduction registered in the three UNDCP target districts in Qandahar shows that alternative development programmes coupled with a political commitment can be successful.

So, while you stated that the Taliban “wants” opium profits, the truth isn’t supported by my link or your’s.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You’re funny. So you’ll counter my Brookings with the UN, then claim my source is left leaning? More left leaning than the UN. Probably impossible. Also, you follow that up with AlJazeera?

However, I’ll quote directly from the UN report, which I’m guessing you didn’t actually read:

Eradication and Local Bans
The survey shows widespread awareness of the ruling authorities’ decree requiring all poppy farmers in Taliban controlled areas to reduce their cultivation area by one third. However, the survey also shows that compliance with this decree has occurred only in parts of the country.
The survey notes that, in nine of the twenty-two provinces surveyed, all of the respondents reported that there had been no eradication efforts. In a further five provinces, more than 70% of respondents reported that there had been no eradication efforts in their village.
On the other hand, the 50% reduction registered in the three UNDCP target districts in Qandahar shows that alternative development programmes coupled with a political commitment can be successful.

So, while you stated that the Taliban “wants” opium profits, the truth isn’t supported by my link or your’s.
My inclusion of the UN report was to support even the “left leaning” angle that yes, Opium was growing under Taliban. So by including a “farther than left” of Brookings, which was much more accurate, shows the bias of Brookings. Even more political than then the UN and Brookings is not accurate.

Both the decree of “Reducing by a third” and the “non adherence” showed that was followed demonstrated a lassie faire attitude.

Try starting your own thread since you want to always be right. Try, “the Taliban are friendlier than fill-in-blank” or “Taliban to permit women to drive”.

Bottom line for Afghanistan, when they try stopping their $2.5 billion dollar drug crops, their economy will collapse even faster than it is now. Afghanistan has a serious money shortage problem. If drugs can help stave the economy collapsing, then the Taliban will embrace their version of Prop 64 (reference to California).

Old 10-09-2021, 05:16 PM

A few thoughts:
1. The Taliban outlawed poppy growth in 2000. Just saying.

2. The Taliban are fanatics, but they instituted the ban in 2000 in an attempt to quell outside influence.

3. Afghanistan was impossible for the US, with all of its power and technology, to eradicate poppy growth.

4. I will gladly admit I’m wrong when I am.

5. Don’t get sensitive now. Go back and look at your smarmy post #44. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Lightbulb Friendly wager

M1 thinks that 85% of world’s opioids, originating from Afghanistan, will cease to exist shortly with the rise of Taliban control. The rest of us think the Taliban’s taxation of Opium will continue and embrace begrudgingly as a large cash cow; despite the Taliban’s “public” disdain for drugs and their “public appeal” to the international community to get them off the drug trade.

CNN wrote a recent synopsis on the history and ends with a wait-and-see outlook.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/29/asia/...ntl/index.html

Anyone that wants to wager that Taliban controlled Afghanistan will significantly reduce (or eliminate) their opioid production within a year, we’ll give 4:1 odds. Friendly wager here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues