Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 PM

17,793 posts, read 13,594,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
From everything I've seen, US forces left behind some vehicles and small arms for the Afghan Army, but no aircraft or big weapons.

I heard jets and helicopters on news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...licopters.html

But did find this, drones

Pics/Videos: Taliban captures hundreds of US military vehicles, drones to keep taking over Afghanistan

https://americanmilitarynews.com/202...r-afghanistan/

Quote:
Taliban forces have reportedly captured around 100 U.S.-made Humvees and MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles (MRAPs) as well as U.S. ScanEagle drones left behind and the Kunduz Airport.

The Taliban captured Kunduz Airport on Wednesday and on Thursday, German journalist Julian Röpcke tweeted, “The #Taliban not only seized appr. a hundred US humvees and (MaxxPro) MRAPs at Kunduz airport, but also several US ScanEagle drones. Billions of US tax payer $ going to Islamist extremists, thanks to the administration’s hasty withdrawal without a peace deal or follow up mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 07:05 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,160,042 times
Default Where to get solid news on fall of Afghanistan?

It’s seems Al Jazeera has the most amount of recent data to actually understand what is going on in Afghanistan. The American networks have fancy headlines but the articles are light on depth.

https://www.aljazeera.com/

Also its too early to drag all the pundits on to fill the space that is absent of news on Afghanistan. They do this during crises to fill the empty space.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 2,122,445 times
We can dance around the issue of why Afghanistan fell so quickly, but the bottom line is that the American political, military and intelligence leadership failed the American people. It will only be a matter of time until this comes back to haunt us… In a huge way.

Honestly, I have very little confidence in today’s senior military leadership since they’re more concerned with politics, social re-engineering and WOKE-ISM than maintaining an effective war fighting force.

In the end, our military forces will be demoralized for a period of time and our enemies will feel emboldened to openly challenged the United States… In combat.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,430,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
We can dance around the issue of why Afghanistan fell so quickly, but the bottom line is that the American political, military and intelligence leadership failed the American people. It will only be a matter of time until this comes back to haunt us… In a huge way.

Honestly, I have very little confidence in today’s senior military leadership since they’re more concerned with politics, social re-engineering and WOKE-ISM than maintaining an effective war fighting force.

In the end, our military forces will be demoralized for a period of time and our enemies will feel emboldened to openly challenged the United States… In combat.
Lets put the blame directly where it belongs - this was a political move - even now the president still is holding to this decision. This was a purely political failure - the intelligence community warned of this and the military wanted to keep about 4000 troops to prevent this from occurring. Honestly I have very little confidence that the media will will lay the blame where it belongs - with the political leaders.

I am not that worried about the troops being demoralized or enemies being emboldened - they both recognize that the issue is at the top, not with the capability or resolve of the troops.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:44 AM

6,698 posts, read 7,157,762 times
I hope not. Sorry for all of those people but no we should not leave anyone there unless they want us to set up a base there.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:00 AM

15,769 posts, read 7,759,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I hope not. Sorry for all of those people but no we should not leave anyone there unless they want us to set up a base there.
Unless things have changed, and I don't think they have, the main thing Afghanis want from any foreign country is for them to leave.

The message from Biden to the Taliban should be that we don't care what they do in their own country, but that any attempt to harbor terrorism or people that will hurt the US will result in retaliation.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:07 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,081,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Now all our military equipment, that you and i paid for, is left there for the bad guys.

Most of that military equipment you see, small arms, aircraft, etc is ANA equipment. Still our tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
From everything I've seen, US forces left behind some vehicles and small arms for the Afghan Army, but no aircraft or big weapons.
We supplied all the weapons/most of the vehicles for the ANA. All the 1151s you see are the old ragged out trucks that we could no longer use but were too expensive to fly home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I heard jets and helicopters on news

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...licopters.html

All of that is ANA aircraft-heck it's even marked as such.

They'll crash the scan eagles soon enough and nobody wants to pay to fly the trucks home.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:05 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,081,959 times
Lots of videoes from KIA https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...irports-runway

Folks crowding C-17s trying to taxi, folks hanging on the outside of C-17s and then falling off while in flight, AH-64s doing crowd control(non lethal), etc.

From yesterday:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...8219963/page/6

If you say so Baghdad Bob.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:12 AM

17,700 posts, read 17,928,183 times
I have to wonder how many Afghani police, military, and officials were Taliban or at least were of similar beliefs as the Taliban? Did the Taliban receive unofficial support from neighboring countries’ military? The boots on the ground didn’t fail. The politicians, intelligence agencies, and military leaders failed.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:26 AM

6,348 posts, read 3,529,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You seem to think Biden is not to blame - CENTCOM most assuredly briefed that it was a bad policy and probably briefed Biden directly, no chance to be "whitewashed" or not properly "briefed up the chain" that is like 2 people, both appointed by Biden.

Biden point blank lied when he said "that the Taliban was not capable of taking Afghanistan" - that would ignore the capabilities. As of now the story is very reminiscent of the fall of Saigon

I agree, why does that person still have a job? Biden has no one to blame but himself - it was woke pacifist ideals that drove the pullout - not the military.
I didn’t mean to imply that Biden isn’t culpable. He is absolutely culpable. When you are the President, and it goes bad, it’s completely on you. Him trying to blame Trump is so disingenuous.

But not only Biden, but what about Austin? I’ve heard reports that he did nothing but throw the Afghan Army under the bus and blame them for this whole debacle. Why didn’t he know they weren’t ready to hold their own country?

Lastly, where is Milley during this whole thing? Other than holding water for Biden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues