Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 07:14 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
and give up smoking hash? Are you nuts?

but seriously, no pay, no real need to fight, under strength, under equipped, corrupt everything(goes with the previous two), and you can go on from there.
How about "protect your wife and children?" How about "protect your own life?"

The Afghan army was vastly superior in numbers and equipment, and they were protecting their own homeland--the Taliban are, in fact, invaders, not rebels.

Apparently the Afghan troops don't really believe life under the Taliban will be that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 07:36 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

The Afghan army was vastly superior in numbers and equipment, and they were protecting their own homeland--the Taliban are, in fact, invaders, not rebels.

Apparently the Afghan troops don't really believe life under the Taliban will be that bad.
You make one key error. They won’t fight for Afghanistan. They’ll fight for their tribe.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You make one key error. They won’t fight for Afghanistan. They’ll fight for their tribe.
Except that they didn't.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:23 AM

6,127 posts, read 3,351,401 times
Quote:
Except that they didn't.
The Afghans rejected our attempt to remake them into a neoliberal society.

Gender studies, which we imported to Kabul University as a major. We forced gender diversity on them, forced them to accept women as their leaders in some cases.

They aren’t dumb. The leaders of that country see what we are doing back in the US. We are changing genders on children. We are legalizing drugs. People can steal in San Francisco with zero repercussions. We punish men with toxic masculinity charges.

I can go on and on about how our society is frightening to someone from Afghanistan. It’s frightening to me, and I’m much more lenient on deviant behaviors than they are.

Back during WWII, the US had the moral high ground. When we went to fight, or influence other countries, we had decency and freedom on our side to fight against repression.

Nowadays, when we spread our message outside our borders, many countries in the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, etc, they all find our neoliberal message to be grotesque and immoral.

If I was a normal dude in Afghanistan, why would I sacrifice my life so they can continue to practice gender studies at Kabul University? So they can turn Kabul into San Francisco?

Anyway, that’s a big part of why they didn’t fight.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:02 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,917 times
Quote:

None of that was threatened by the taliban. Of course next week will be a different story, but the taliban's only foe was the GOA. When the taliban promises city leaders not to go all Rape of Nanking on them, they handed over the keys quickly.

The average Afgan doesn't really care about the concept of government, so why should he fight for it.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Except that they didn't.
They didn’t threaten the tribes. Maybe a few warlords. Americans just can’t seem to grasp that the government in Kabul had no legitimacy to the average Afghan.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
They didn’t threaten the tribes. Maybe a few warlords. Americans just can’t seem to grasp that the government in Kabul had no legitimacy to the average Afghan.
Oh, I completely get that. The US attempted nation-building from the top down, but nations are not built from the top down, they are built from the bottom up.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:07 AM

6,127 posts, read 3,351,401 times
Quote:
Most Americans are pretty stupid, but the small percentage who are capable of understanding, and then actually care enough to read about it, fully understand that the supposed 300,000 troops were not loyal in any way to the Afghan government. They now understand that the 300,000 number wasn’t even the correct number.

Joe Biden, Tony Blinken, and John Kirby all firmly believed it, though. Why did they believe it and who told them it was so? I don’t believe they were briefed that the Afghans would fold, and then ignored it, and said the opposite publicly. Nobody is that stupid. I think they were all duped. I’d like to know by who.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this mess, and I’m expecting many resignations over the next few months. I don’t see how Milley or Austin can, or even should, survive this.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Joe Biden, Tony Blinken, and John Kirby all firmly believed it, though. Why did they believe it and who told them it was so? I don’t believe they were briefed that the Afghans would fold, and then ignored it, and said the opposite publicly. Nobody is that stupid. I think they were all duped. I’d like to know by who.
I've personally seen a couple of situations where the president was briefed something and said, "Nah."

It does happen. I served under six presidents, and the only one who really trusted and paid attention to Intel above his own opinions was the elder Bush. That was probably because he had been a director of the Intelligence Community himself.

But I saw a couple just flat out ignore what they were briefed.

And I did see one that was duped--the younger Bush was duped about Iraq...but that was by his VP and SECDEF, while the analysts of the IC were beating their heads on their desks in their cubicles, saying, "That's not what we briefed."

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-17-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Most Americans are pretty stupid, but the small percentage who are capable of understanding, and then actually care enough to read about it, fully understand that the supposed 300,000 troops were not loyal in any way to the Afghan government. They now understand that the 300,000 number wasn’t even the correct number.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this mess, and I’m expecting many resignations over the next few months. I don’t see how Milley or Austin can, or even should, survive this.
Actual ETT vets that I've talked to the last few days are actually surprised that they made zero effort. Most expected a token effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues