Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 07:38 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Unless things have changed, and I don't think they have, the main thing Afghanis want from any foreign country is for them to leave.

The message from Biden to the Taliban should be that we don't care what they do in their own country, but that any attempt to harbor terrorism or people that will hurt the US will result in retaliation.
THIS, THIS, THIS!!

Most of the mouth breathers posting on this topic have no clue about the situation.

The Army literally quit. En masse. This is just the common game played these days where everyone blasts the other side for whatever goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 07:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I didn’t mean to imply that Biden isn’t culpable. He is absolutely culpable. When you are the President, and it goes bad, it’s completely on you. Him trying to blame Trump is so disingenuous.

But not only Biden, but what about Austin? I’ve heard reports that he did nothing but throw the Afghan Army under the bus and blame them for this whole debacle. Why didn’t he know they weren’t ready to hold their own country?

Biden is just a senile little girl sniffing figurehead. It's his people that are the real problem. Austin's worthless comment "you can't buy willpower" shows how worthless he is. Nope, you can't buy it, but you can assess it, see how it affects the current situation, and then put measures in place to mitigate it--and/or change the strategy entirely so as to account for the lack of will.

The previous two oval office occupants are just as bad for their dealings with the TB/other groups in the area.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:12 AM

This is amazing and horrifying all at the same time. People trying to stow away on the outside of a taxiing C-17.

Of course, with completely inappropriate gallows humor cultivated by a a long time in the Army, I am wondering if the Air Force stewardesses serve champagne out there.

Not like Saigon at all...

Last edited by abnfdc; 08-16-2021 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 09:55 AM

Some of the above people falling off the C-17:

Old 08-16-2021, 04:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I am chuckling over the AP's choice of a picture to run:
I am seeing a picture of a tandem rotor helicopter from Saigon. Not bothering to point it out on FB for there would be little point but while it is clearly a CH-47 Chinook in Afghanistan, is one or a CH-46 in the Saigon picture?

https://static.pbslearningmedia.org/...withcredit.jpg

Looks like a -46 to me but most people wouldn't know the difference.....nor probably care in these times.
Quote:
This is amazing and horrifying all at the same time. People trying to stow away on the outside of a taxiing C-17.

Of course, with completely inappropriate gallows humor cultivated by a a long time in the Army, I am wondering if the Air Force stewardesses serve champagne out there.

Not like Saigon at all...
Well, it does bring back to mind the C-5 crash.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:35 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Some of the above people falling off the C-17:

So, why didn't the Afghan army put up even a token resistance?

Old 08-16-2021, 04:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Embedded Training Teams have been telling anyone who would listen that the Afghan military didn’t have the will to fight.

Of course, when those same ETTs tried to stop Afghan leaders from having sex with little boys on Thursday, they were told not to get involved. We sure do pick some winners.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:13 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Embedded Training Teams have been telling anyone who would listen that the Afghan military didn’t have the will to fight.
But here is the thing: Intel analysts debriefing the ETTs can take down that information and pass it up the chain, but that's not something that any American decisionmaker, particularly not in the military chain of command, can even mentally process.

Any American general is going to hear "no will to fight" as "won't fight for very long" or "won't fight unless the odds are in their favor."

The American general will not process "no will to fight" as "not going to fight a single skirmish." Their minds simply won't process it.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am seeing a picture of a tandem rotor helicopter from Saigon. .

The commonly seen Saigon embassy tandem rotor pic is a CH46. It is comical to see folks say it and the 47 in the AFG pic are the same aircraft, but to folks like you or I we just roll our eyes and say close enough.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

and give up smoking hash? Are you nuts?

but seriously, no pay, no real need to fight, under strength, under equipped, corrupt everything(goes with the previous two), and you can go on from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues