Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 04:28 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The answer is in the post.
Military regulations.
He chose to disregard the procedure for taking it up with his commander. He is a rogue. Defiant and wishing to side step.
His opinions do not reflect the military . His uniform , his title hold him accountable for the standard of conduct . He failed . The 'hearing' article 32 will be his opportunity to share his opinion. And justify how his opinion supercedes all the regulations set forth when being a military officer.
The Lt. Col. received his sentence recently, and that sentence is reflective of the cowardice of the administration he spoke against... and their fundamental knowledge that he wasn't really deserving of the punishment that would be meted out to someone who was truly in the wrong. They obviously wanted this to be over with, quietly and quickly.

The trick to living with honor is knowing when the world is upside down and it ain't your fault it's that way, but everything is reversed.

Otherwise, you wind up being like one of those mindless fools standing in the dock for the Nuremburg Trials, saying "I was just following orders" to the judge and he's sneering at you. And when you hear that is no excuse.... you wonder how your false reality just blew up into confetti.

Or you could be the guy in the OTHER Nazi trial, one of the co-conspirators in the Valkerie bunker assassination plot, standing before the Nazi judge, being berated by this pompous toady for being a despicable traitor who betrayed Adolf Hitler. He calmly listened to his condemnation and death sentence pronounced... and then when asked if he had any words for the court, he said:

“You may hand us over to the executioner, but in three months’ time, the disgusted and harried people will bring you to book and drag you alive through the dirt in the streets!”

Sometimes, one comes to the hill that it is time to die on. I guess this guy came to that hill.

I'm not going to fault him a bit. More people need to be speaking up against what's going on. In a perfect world, the vast majority of members who took the oath to support and defend THE CONSTITUTION AGAINST ALL ENEMIES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC... understand that means you don't "just follow orders".

It wasn't an excuse at Nuremburg... and it's not an excuse now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 07:24 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Ok. I have the opposite experience during my time in service, which is why I asked. I've seen disobeying lawful orders (both in the Navy, Army and Marine Corps . . . the Army and Marine Corps were during my time in Hawaii, while the Navy spanned my time in Hawaii and elsewhere) and nobody was sent to prison or even had that as an option. It wasn't even contemplated. They all got punished and had NJP handed down, but that was it.

One recent case out where I am now, a Sailor was verbally abusive to me (I'm an officer for what it's worth), including cursing me out on the quarterdeck when I went to conduct his muster/room inspection and refused to obey orders I gave to him . . . this in addition to cursing out several of the chiefs on multiple occasions. This guy had the book thrown at him at NJP in terms of being reduced in rank, pay cut, restriction and extra duty and administratively separated. He was never going to be court-martialed for his behavior.
In my 37 years of service I have never seen anyone sentenced to prison. All of them I have seen were NJP and were administratively separated. Case in point, our unit was tapped for OIF in 2003 and were sent to Ft Drum NY for training. When we arrived one of our soldiers realized we were actually heading for war and wanted out so much so he got into a cab and had it drive to eastern Massachusetts for an estimated $400 cab fair. He was quickly and quietly dismissed from the army.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Default Marine LtCol to get honorable discharge

Now it’s up to the Secretary of the Navy to agree with the conditions set forth for the final type discharge for Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller. He will likely get an honorable discharge having an exemplary record. Very informative article that fills in a lot of the last few weeks regarding his trial.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...ps-failed-him/

Old 11-09-2021, 09:38 PM

363 posts, read 350,270 times
I predict "general, under honorable conditions"

Old 11-10-2021, 05:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
I predict "general, under honorable conditions"
The Navy Secretary will take the side of the judge and agree the prosecution was overzealous and go with s honorable. Everyone is saying the career of the LtCol has been stellar and nobody of that stellar career has been charged with this type of charges previously. It’s outside the norm here.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:37 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The Navy Secretary will take the side of the judge and agree the prosecution was overzealous and go with s honorable. Everyone is saying the career of the LtCol has been stellar and nobody of that stellar career has been charged with this type of charges previously. It’s outside the norm here.
I agree. I don't see the Navy Secretary, who is a veteran himself, doing anything differently. The new Navy Secretary seems to be a by the books kind of guy and not one who is looking to rock the boat. At least that's been my general impression of him.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:18 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
He was out of line and should be disciplined for being insubordinate, but being put into the brig seems overkill.
He should be emprisoned, but being emprisoned seems overkill?

You can not have it both ways.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:06 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
He should be emprisoned, but being emprisoned seems overkill?

You can not have it both ways.
Hardly. As you quoted my post, I support discipline but not the brig. Discipline encompasses a whole range of punishment, to include a letter of reprimand, non-punitive letter of caution, removal from command, etc. The brig is a specific punishment of incarceration. I don’t know why you see this as having things both ways Never did I claim to be against all punishment for this guy. Just that the particular form of punishment in the brig is too harsh. My statement is clear enough.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 11-11-2021 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-11-2021, 02:35 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Hardly. As you quoted my post, I support discipline but not the brig. Discipline encompasses a whole range of punishment, to include a letter of reprimand, non-punitive letter of caution, removal from command, etc. The brig is a specific punishment of incarceration. I don’t know why you see this as having things both ways Never did I claim to be against all punishment for this guy. Just that the particular form of punishment in the brig is too harsh. My statement is clear enough.
I was told that we quit doing bread&water or reduced rations as punishments.

I remember serving on one boat where they had a wall chart in the mess decks with pictures showing exactly how much food you would get if you were sentenced to bread&water or to 'reduced rations' as a daily reminder not to get busted for anything.

I just thought it was interesting that you are in favour of punishment, just not certain punishments.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:34 PM

363 posts, read 350,270 times
hmmm. I wonder if they have to give an honorable, since he is not being kicked out. he is requesting separation.

also wonder if he is resigning commission, or just trying to get off active duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues