Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 12:13 PM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times

Advertisements

He makes some very interesting points. When the top strategic threats are announced as white nationalism and climate change, how can anybody around the globe take the US military seriously?

There are serious adversaries out there, mainly China, who are rapidly modernizing their military and gobbling up resources and infrastructure around the globe.

But here we are ignoring them, and focusing on white nationalism and climate change.

Does anybody think for a second that China gives a damn about Chinese (Han) nationalists, who oppress the minorities in China? They’ve got people in concentration camps, yet to many Americans, white nationalists are worse than what the Chinese is doing?

Lastly, does anybody think China gives a damn about climate change? We are destroying our own economy and military to “save the planet”, while the Chinese are rapidly enlarging their economic and manufacturing base and polluting the planet at an increased level.

Again, the US military is not serious anymore, and that is why a lot of people who would be serving, or will serve, has just said no.

But we can turn this all around if we become serious again. Stop with the wokeness and the climate garbage, and get back to focusing on winning wars against actual adversaries like China and Iran, and stop worrying about a couple guys in Michigan who were goaded into admitting that they’d like to kidnap the Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 02:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Lastly, does anybody think China gives a damn about climate change? We are destroying our own economy and military to “save the planet”, while the Chinese are rapidly enlarging their economic and manufacturing base and polluting the planet at an increased level.
Uh dude, why don't you dry those tears and learn something real. China has been investing heavy on renewable energy and if we can't get united, they will lead the world in it and we will end up buying their technology.

This is just one of many reports but you should have known this 20 years ago:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/w...nergy-finance/

Old 07-22-2022, 02:09 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ce-2022-07-20/

Old 07-22-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Uh dude, why don't you dry those tears and learn something real. China has been investing heavy on renewable energy and if we can't get united, they will lead the world in it and we will end up buying their technology.

This is just one of many reports but you should have known this 20 years ago:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/w...nergy-finance/
Bookings is a biased joke. Unlike you, I actually met some of their researchers when they were doing a military project years ago. They push an agenda that their financial contributors tell them to. They pretend to be independent, but they most absolutely are not.

Who funds the Brookings Institute? Bill Gates, the country of Qatar, JP Morgan Chase, just to name a few.

I do have hope that people like you will wake up someday.

Old 07-22-2022, 05:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
He makes some very interesting points. When the top strategic threats are announced as white nationalism and climate change, how can anybody around the globe take the US military seriously?

There are serious adversaries out there, mainly China, who are rapidly modernizing their military and gobbling up resources and infrastructure around the globe.

But here we are ignoring them, and focusing on white nationalism and climate change.

Does anybody think for a second that China gives a damn about Chinese (Han) nationalists, who oppress the minorities in China? They’ve got people in concentration camps, yet to many Americans, white nationalists are worse than what the Chinese is doing?

Again, the US military is not serious anymore, and that is why a lot of people who would be serving, or will serve, has just said no.

But we can turn this all around if we become serious again. Stop with the wokeness and the climate garbage, and get back to focusing on winning wars against actual adversaries like China and Iran, and stop worrying about a couple guys in Michigan who were goaded into admitting that they’d like to kidnap the Governor.
Being a retired disabled vet and seeing how the (so-called) top brass is destroying our beloved military I quit talking to kids about joining. And now I try to get then to focus on trade schools.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:47 AM

558 posts, read 336,295 times
Quote:

I'm curious. How far removed are you from being active in the military. Your post indicate a that you may not be in touch with the current ongoings of the military. This post is a prime example. When I retired in 2020, last duty station in USINDOPACOM, our operations, training and exercises were primarily geared towards the current and emerging Chinese threat. From our exercise planning, to equipment and personnel posteuring and readiness, to weapons systems and support equipment that were being moved into and out of the theater. We were in the initial phases of planning contingencies against Chinese attacks on our military installations by developing planes and procedures for island hopping air, land and sea assets and operating effectively out of austere locations. Since my departure from the service this has ramped up tenfold and our forces are actively training and preparing for a possible military engagement with China. We are also finally back to actively preparing for North Korean aggression after being put on pause by the last administration. The individual services (Marines, Air Force, Army, Navy) are all focused on the threat and we are finally making the Pacific Pivot that Obama tried to put us on long ago and that was inexplicably delayed because the a certain leader was more interested in love letters with despots and trying to exert US influence through chocolate cake and ice cream.

I can understand why you would think the military is focused on wokeism and climate change if you get your information from certain sources with certain agendas. From talking to the folks in actual boots on the ground who I served with and who continue to serve, my understanding of current affairs is way different.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:

IF you're going to quote someone as you do in the thread title it'd be nice if you supplied a link that would provide the context of that quote. Otherwise it's close to meaningless.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
I'm curious. How far removed are you from being active in the military. Your post indicate a that you may not be in touch with the current ongoings of the military. This post is a prime example. When I retired in 2020, last duty station in USINDOPACOM, our operations, training and exercises were primarily geared towards the current and emerging Chinese threat. From our exercise planning, to equipment and personnel posteuring and readiness, to weapons systems and support equipment that were being moved into and out of the theater. We were in the initial phases of planning contingencies against Chinese attacks on our military installations by developing planes and procedures for island hopping air, land and sea assets and operating effectively out of austere locations. Since my departure from the service this has ramped up tenfold and our forces are actively training and preparing for a possible military engagement with China. We are also finally back to actively preparing for North Korean aggression after being put on pause by the last administration. The individual services (Marines, Air Force, Army, Navy) are all focused on the threat and we are finally making the Pacific Pivot that Obama tried to put us on long ago and that was inexplicably delayed because the a certain leader was more interested in love letters with despots and trying to exert US influence through chocolate cake and ice cream.

I can understand why you would think the military is focused on wokeism and climate change if you get your information from certain sources with certain agendas. From talking to the folks in actual boots on the ground who I served with and who continue to serve, my understanding of current affairs is way different.
2020 was a different administration, different leadership, and we were on the right track then. It’s 2+ years later and things have changed. I’ve noticed it clear as day.

It’s funny how you mentioned all those improvements we did back in the past administration, but fast forward to today, and China is so worried about us now, that they threatened the Commander in Chief to his face that he better not allow any of his politicians to visit Taiwan.

As of right now, the schedule says tentative for a visit to Taiwan. We are so weak that we can’t even straight forward say that we are visiting an ally.

But of course, they will probably back down from that visit, and then we can get back to the things that matter, like stopping white supremacy in the ranks because it’s 0.0001% of a problem, and then figuring out ways to divert money from the operating budget in order to make the military a better place for transgendered people.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:26 AM

4,896 posts, read 2,053,213 times
Quote:
2020 was a different administration, different leadership, and we were on the right track then. It’s 2+ years later and things have changed. I’ve noticed it clear as day.

It’s funny how you mentioned all those improvements we did back in the past administration, but fast forward to today, and China is so worried about us now, that they threatened the Commander in Chief to his face that he better not allow any of his politicians to visit Taiwan.

As of right now, the schedule says tentative for a visit to Taiwan. We are so weak that we can’t even straight forward say that we are visiting an ally.

But of course, they will probably back down from that visit, and then we can get back to the things that matter, like stopping white supremacy in the ranks because it’s 0.0001% of a problem, and then figuring out ways to divert money from the operating budget in order to make the military a better place for transgendered people.
I pretty much agree with WK91 that the U.S. military isn’t 100% focused on war fighting and winning today since IMHO, they attempting to reshape the military with a WOKE-ism value system. Again, IMHO, WOKE-ism and an effective fighting force do not mix, especially within the Combat Arms units of the Army and Marines, who’s primary mission is to fight and win in a land warfare scenario, which is often more up close and personal than air or sea warfare. Yes, fighter jets and bombers can be shot down and naval ships can be sunk, but house to house/urban street fighting or raiding an enemy defensive trench system is far more personal.

I also feel that the senior military leadership are too involved within the elected senior civilian leadership and are too willing to “go along with the program” to please them. If the senior military leadership gives an opinion on a well thought out operation’s plan and the civilian leadership refuses to follow their advice, they should resign, which would cause the civilian to truly think things all the way out before deciding solely on political views.

Yoski, I was with you and all the points you were making until your political biases “muddy the waters” of being factual and to the point.

I retired back in 2010 from the Army Reserves, 13 yrs Active and 17 yrs Reserve, with two combat tours in Iraq. Granted, I don’t have my finger on the pulse of today’s Army, but I still maintain close contacts with my local military community. What I have noticed from others, to including myself, “I” use to do my best to encourage individuals within my family and others about serving in the U.S. military, but lately, I’ve noticed that I haven’t been “selling” the ideal of serving for over a year now.

I blame this on the way that the Armed Forces of the United States departed Afghanistan.

Honestly, I’ve been pushing careers within civil service at the federal and local levels as a positive career choice.

The Army is always in a state of change. I enlisted back in 1980 and still remember family members who served in WW2, the Korea war and in Vietnam talking about “how much the Army has changed.” Now, I’m saying the same things. Honestly, the Army, as with all the other branches, are always in a constant state of change, which is to be expected due by the nature of their core mission(s). Most of the changes have been positive, but quite a few were less than positive, IMHO and no, I have no hard data to back that up.

After leaving Active Duty, I went into federal law enforcement and retired as a GS-13. Afterwards, I was hired by a local police agency and served as a Lieutenant/Watch Commander, before retiring from them once I was vested within their benefits system. Several of our younger officers had recently left Active Duty and we spoke of their reasons why they left the military, as well as talking to individuals STILL on Active Duty, but planning to leave and seeking a career within law enforcement at our local job fairs. The common theme ways that “things” were changing in a direction that they didn’t agree with or it was no longer enjoyable and felt that there were too many traps that could destroy your career over some stupid BS of political correctness. So for the career Senior NCOs and Company Grade Officers, many were simply looking for a change.

Those late 20s to early 30s year old E-7s, O-2s and O-3s do bring a lot to numerous career fields in the civilian world. And now, they are greatly in demand.

If you are a young E-3 or E-4, in your second year of your three year enlistment AND you are seeing your E-7s, O-2s and O-3s leaving Active Duty, that sends a message that this might not be a good long term plan by staying in the military. AND!! The byproduct of our E-3s and E-4s seeing this causes them to tell family and friends, that military service isn’t was they thought it would be. That message to somebody in the age group of 17 to 20 is very powerful since those E-3s and E-4s have strong credibility within their age group that an average recruiter cannot compete against.

I feel that military service can be made attractive to 17-24 year olds again by removing the WOKE/PC messages from their recruitment materials and focus on showing, using the Army, in its real world missions. Biological young men like seeing M1 Tanks, M109 SP Artillery, Paratroops and Green Berets, so create the message around them and what it takes to be part of that team. Also, throw in the benefits package like the GI Bill for college and VA home loans.

Using the Army again, stay the hell away from that disaster of a commercial of “Emma has two moms!!” Nobody cares if Emma has two or four moms. This does not bring everything to the table, other than being turned into a running joke punch-in…. That cost millions of dollars. Also, stay away from cartoons…. Cartoons are for idiots. Use the images of a super squared away Tomb Guards or the Army Drill Team to sell the Army’s story.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Being a retired disabled vet and seeing how the (so-called) top brass is destroying our beloved military I quit talking to kids about joining. And now I try to get then to focus on trade schools.
I'm with you there, 100% except the disabled part.

It's by design. CCP has a video out (actually it's probably not supposed to be out) championing the demise of our military via the topic that seems to not be allowed for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues