Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 07:17 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/18/polit...ion/index.html
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...stemic-issues/
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ts-coming.html

The last link has a great bit of details the other two are sorely lacking. The Navy has had issues with enlisted quarters and substandard conditions but this is on a whole other level. I seriously doubt any senior leaders were required to live on the carrier or in toxic barracks. 3 suicides in one week is a huge red flag that there’s something wrong with the command and yet the Master Chief of the Navy basically told them “at least your not in a foxhole” so get use to it.
No excuse for leaving the lower ranks in a renovation disaster for SIX YEARS??!! Some people need to get fired, if we can't turn around even a big ship like this in 2-3 years then something is rotten in Denmark.

You can probably build a new carrier in less time than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 07:51 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,748,688 times
The quality of personnel has come down quite sharply in the last forty years. I was a Seabee so I can't comment on shipboard life, but my first duty station was Diego Garcia. A tiny rock where we lived in tents! My next duty station was NAS Adak. In the Aleutian Islands! At least we were indoors with flush toilets and heated showers. My last duty station was a battalion where I got sent on a detail right back to Adak. I recall getting bounced out of bed by earthquakes when Mt. Siska erupted (fairly regularly too ) Kids these days. Buncha babies.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:03 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
The Navy is top heavy. The Navy has more admirals now than they did in WW2 and yet it's 1/9th the size. (The last data I can find the USN has 293 admirals now compared with 256 in WW2.). That's almost one admiral per ship; when adding reserve admirals, it is one admiral per ship.

Whether its the tragic suicides of the sailors or the fire on the USS Bonhomie Richard, the leadership of the USN is failing.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
No excuse for leaving the lower ranks in a renovation disaster for SIX YEARS??!! Some people need to get fired, if we can't turn around even a big ship like this in 2-3 years then something is rotten in Denmark.

You can probably build a new carrier in less time than this.
USS America CV 66, laid down 1 January 1961, commissioned 23 January 1965 (picked because we were decently into building super carriers then)

USS Gerald R. Ford CVN-78, laid down 14 Nov 2009, commissioned 22 July 2017 (from navsource)

So, I would say, No, you can't build a new carrier in 2-3 years.........and hence, the matter may be more complicated than we can guess.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-31-2023 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues