Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 02:55 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/18/polit...ion/index.html
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...stemic-issues/
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ts-coming.html

The last link has a great bit of details the other two are sorely lacking. The Navy has had issues with enlisted quarters and substandard conditions but this is on a whole other level. I seriously doubt any senior leaders were required to live on the carrier or in toxic barracks. 3 suicides in one week is a huge red flag that there’s something wrong with the command and yet the Master Chief of the Navy basically told them “at least your not in a foxhole” so get use to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 05:15 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/18/polit...ion/index.html
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...stemic-issues/
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ts-coming.html

The last link has a great bit of details the other two are sorely lacking. The Navy has had issues with enlisted quarters and substandard conditions but this is on a whole other level. I seriously doubt any senior leaders were required to live on the carrier or in toxic barracks. 3 suicides in one week is a huge red flag that there’s something wrong with the command and yet the Master Chief of the Navy basically told them “at least your not in a foxhole” so get use to it.
What a disgrace.
We don’t have the money? To finish the refurbishing of the ship? $322 million is gone?

“As a result, sailors who were able to get into these barracks had on average 85 square feet in shared rooms -- in a building that the Navy believed likely had lead paint, asbestos and other toxic substances. The use of the 149-room building cost the Navy about $4.36 million per year.

Meanwhile, according to a prior investigation into the suicides aboard the carrier, sailors were resorting to sleeping in their cars or paying for rent out of paychecks that are typically less than $2,000 a month.”

Yet we spend freely on our overseas shenanigans

Disgrace, just disgrace.
Why do I think that nothing will change unless there will be a public outcry?

Do major broadcasters pick up and run this story? For weeks on end as they do for some other crimes with the titillating details?
It is a criminal

Old 05-20-2023, 05:24 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Suicide is a problem all over the military, and everywhere else nowadays. Not to downplay the obvious lack of planning on several levels in the case of the GW, the Master Chief spoke the truth. Everyone serving in the Navy today is there because they chose to enlist. And they chose the Navy on purpose over the other branches.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
What a disgrace.
We don’t have the money? To finish the refurbishing of the ship? $322 million is gone?

“As a result, sailors who were able to get into these barracks had on average 85 square feet in shared rooms -- in a building that the Navy believed likely had lead paint, asbestos and other toxic substances. The use of the 149-room building cost the Navy about $4.36 million per year.

Meanwhile, according to a prior investigation into the suicides aboard the carrier, sailors were resorting to sleeping in their cars or paying for rent out of paychecks that are typically less than $2,000 a month.”

Yet we spend freely on our overseas shenanigans

Disgrace, just disgrace.
Why do I think that nothing will change unless there will be a public outcry?

Do major broadcasters pick up and run this story? For weeks on end as they do for some other crimes?
I was in ship yards for two ships, both amphibs. I could not imagine spending my entire tour of duty in a shipyard. The barracks we had were much better than what is described but when we were forced to return to the ship it was horrible because the yard work wasn’t complete. Welding, grinding, banging, hammering, and other loud work just kept going on. Some people worked overnight and had to try to sleep in the day when all this was going on. Sleeping on a floating barracks barge isn’t much better than sleeping on the ship. Seems like everything on the barge constantly breaks and the smell is horrible. Officers and chiefs can afford to live off the ship so they were well rested and well fed while junior enlisted sailors had no choice but to remain on the ship. For sailors, being in the shipyards is more stressful than being at sea on deployment. During deployment you’re doing the job you signed up for and would occasionally see foreign ports. In the yards it feels like everything is so far away, it’s never quiet, and the command puts the crew under pressure to get things done quickly instead of safely.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Suicide is a problem all over the military, and everywhere else nowadays. Not to downplay the obvious lack of planning on several levels in the case of the GW, the Master Chief spoke the truth. Everyone serving in the Navy today is there because they chose to enlist. And they chose the Navy on purpose over the other branches.
You are downplaying the situation on the GW. Read the last link in detail. I’ve been in shipyards and it’s more horrible than being at sea for 6 months and the description in the article was worse than the yards I endured.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:01 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
I was in ship yards for two ships, both amphibs. I could not imagine spending my entire tour of duty in a shipyard. The barracks we had were much better than what is described but when we were forced to return to the ship it was horrible because the yard work wasn’t complete. Welding, grinding, banging, hammering, and other loud work just kept going on. Some people worked overnight and had to try to sleep in the day when all this was going on. Sleeping on a floating barracks barge isn’t much better than sleeping on the ship. Seems like everything on the barge constantly breaks and the smell is horrible. Officers and chiefs can afford to live off the ship so they were well rested and well fed while junior enlisted sailors had no choice but to remain on the ship. For sailors, being in the shipyards is more stressful than being at sea on deployment. During deployment you’re doing the job you signed up for and would occasionally see foreign ports. In the yards it feels like everything is so far away, it’s never quiet, and the command puts the crew under pressure to get things done quickly instead of safely.
Thanks for the details. Don’t know how the sailors endure it.
Those sensory attacks you describe and a lack of restful sleep definitely could lead to suicides..

The government spends so much and so stupidly - and there is no accountability.

We may need some veterans organizations or even parents to organize and advocate for the enlisted.

Perhaps some civil oversight may stop these criminal attitudes and nonsense..

Should we start a petition on Change.org or some other site?

There gotta be a quick solution to help the sailors

Old 05-20-2023, 06:21 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
But you just did downplay the situation. 3 in one week would be akin to 3 kids in a high school; it’s quite alarming.

Recommend removing commanders this weekend to signify the critical aspect of leader involvement.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:51 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
The top 3 levels of command along with all senior enlisted should be forced to live in the same conditions as the junior enlisted when the ship is in the yard.

The former ship commander should have put his career on the line and said NO when told to move sailors back on board.

The Navy is paying over $2,000 per room per month for substandard accommodation in that building that averages 85 sq feet per sailor(that's 10 feet by 8.5 feet). That's indicative of how badly defense contractors are ripping off the military.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:00 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
You are downplaying the situation on the GW. Read the last link in detail. I’ve been in shipyards and it’s more horrible than being at sea for 6 months and the description in the article was worse than the yards I endured.

I read the link. It's bad. Leadership at several levels should be ashamed and fired. But still and all, it's a volunteer force... and ultimately, that's the bottom line.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:04 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Shipyards are not Horrible, I was in when you were in. I spent time in the yards on 3 different ships, in 3 different yards, and was much happier in the yards than being at sea sometimes. I lived on a WW2 troop transport ship at one time.

Shipyards still count as sea time. I would rather be in a yard anytime over the med.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues