Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:53 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There is a serious systemic failure if a Command can't feed its soldiers/sailors/Marines/airmen aboard a stateside base during peacetime.

I don't know about the Army but we were taught in the Navy that there are no excuses.
Did you read the post above with the posted schedule of which dining facilities were closed, deliberately, in May?

The Fort publicly said many soldiers were away and thus less demand, thus the closure. Sure some of the 10 that were closed had cooks that were also gone but the plan was to temporarily close selected facilities due to less demand. If the plan was to open them back up, they would simply hire contractors to cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 07:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
There must be restaurants nearby in the local community that services the base. I am sure they are loving this. Business must be booming.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:35 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Did you read the post above with the posted schedule of which dining facilities were closed, deliberately, in May?

The Fort publicly said many soldiers were away and thus less demand, thus the closure. Sure some of the 10 that were closed had cooks that were also gone but the plan was to temporarily close selected facilities due to less demand. If the plan was to open them back up, they would simply hire contractors to cook.
Yes I did. I also read that the scheduling was spotty and information was incomplete while transport was inadequate. And excuses.

As I said, if there's an information deficit you make it more complete. If there's a transport issue you fix it.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:43 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
There appears to be a number of senior staff that have no clue as to their job duties. Senior staff who don't communicate and don't ensure their troops are fed and happy need to be fired and sent to Adak or other crappy place

Old 08-11-2023, 07:58 AM

6,116 posts, read 3,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
"At the heart of the issue is the dining facilities not having enough Army cooks to run them. A rotation to the National Training Center, or NTC, and support for a cadet training exercise at Fort Knox, Kentucky, took many cooks off base."

When having trouble comprehending an article in the news one needn't rely on their political bias to clear things up. No, just learn to read better..
You really can’t see the correlation? That the military leadership is focused on the wrong things?

When was the last time you’ve been on a base? When was the last time you’ve sat in on a CUB and listened to what they are spending time on?

Old 08-11-2023, 08:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Okay, I bite......did we change from a post to a base? Is that our terminology now, too?

It's a Fort! It's a post! It is not a base, neither in what people are talking about here or in the title or what the press says. It's a Post or Fort.........................not a base.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:59 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay, I bite......did we change from a post to a base? Is that our terminology now, too?

It's a Fort! It's a post! It is not a base, neither in what people are talking about here or in the title or what the press says. It's a Post or Fort.........................not a base.
And your opinion on the issue is?

Old 08-11-2023, 09:15 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:

Well I can tell you from experience that Fort Lewis Washington is a military Base.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:51 AM

6,116 posts, read 3,347,968 times
Quote:

I am retired USAF, and I’m now a Contractor for the USAF. I work on an air base that also has a very large US Army presence.

So for an installation being called a fort, post, or base, I don’t really think it matters in the purple environment of today. Perhaps back about 30 years ago it did matter when the services weren’t very integrated.

The term CUB is something I don’t recall hearing about until recently, which again, is a consequence of joint forces working together. Back in my day when I was in the USAF, we called it Wing Standup.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Well I can tell you from experience that Fort Lewis Washington is a military Base.
Then the exchange is the BX......not the PX?

OKAY, if in all the decades since I've been in, it has changed.....I stand corrected. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues