Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 07:38 PM

363 posts, read 350,163 times

Advertisements

publicity works. they opened a couple more facilities.

https://kdhnews.com/fort_cavazos_her...9b81dd550.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 08:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Fort Cavazos is right by Killeen or Copperas Cove. Just go out to get some Tex Mex, or have some Texas BBQ delivery.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Fort Cavazos is right by Killeen or Copperas Cove. Just go out to get some Tex Mex, or have some Texas BBQ delivery.
It may be the right idea of thinking......but the wrong approach.

That is, if someone is going to consume only fast food on their BAS (food money) for all their eating, they are very quickly going to be out of money and before the next payday. According to google, enlisted BAS now is around $450. By that, if BAS is going to last the month, then daily eating has to be $15/day or less.

What is the cost of 3 meals/day in fast food these days?

When I was doing financial counseling for enlisted in the Cold War, we taught them to shop at the commissary with their BAS, buy sandwich makings (or learn to cook), and if they could, pool their funds together with their shipmates and have a community kitchen and make out like bandits.

Finally, shop at the commissary and avoid the taxes that may occur in fast food.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It may be the right idea of thinking......but the wrong approach.

That is, if someone is going to consume only fast food on their BAS (food money) for all their eating, they are very quickly going to be out of money and before the next payday. According to google, enlisted BAS now is around $450. By that, if BAS is going to last the month, then daily eating has to be $15/day or less.

What is the cost of 3 meals/day in fast food these days?

When I was doing financial counseling for enlisted in the Cold War, we taught them to shop at the commissary with their BAS, buy sandwich makings (or learn to cook), and if they could, pool their funds together with their shipmates and have a community kitchen and make out like bandits.

Finally, shop at the commissary and avoid the taxes that may occur in fast food.
Perhaps, but if there is no food on base, then I guess that is leftover money to shift onto BAS for the individual soldiers. Or the that money reserved to provide on base food service can be used to hire a caterer from the nearby town to just set up a makeshift buffet.

McDs does have the dollar menu, so I think they can keep their fast food 3 meals a day going for a bit at $450/month. Plus from what I have seen, at least on Navy ships, is the military gives people an endless buffet. I always wondered how much that is costing taxpayers. On top of that, the soldiers are getting fat, and that is not good for performance.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:41 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Perhaps, but if there is no food on base, then I guess that is leftover money to shift onto BAS for the individual soldiers. Or the that money reserved to provide on base food service can be used to hire a caterer from the nearby town to just set up a makeshift buffet.

McDs does have the dollar menu, so I think they can keep their fast food 3 meals a day going for a bit at $450/month. Plus from what I have seen, at least on Navy ships, is the military gives people an endless buffet. I always wondered how much that is costing taxpayers. On top of that, the soldiers are getting fat, and that is not good for performance.
Neither is sea sickness and a good defence against it is to keep eating.

As far as what BAS is now, I will let those more current talk about how it can be used.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
My first thought was contractors, too. But not all bases have them. It takes a long time, too, to get a contract in place.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:20 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Fort Cavazos has over 40,000 troops assigned, and the land area is huge, over 300 square miles.
Yes, I have been there when it was Fort Hood. My brother was a company commander there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues