Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:13 PM

628 posts, read 314,040 times

Advertisements

I don't have the last word on anything, but I can summarize some guidelines, based on my 25 years' service in the Navy, ending in 1988. At that time. and perhaps still, USN, USAF, and probably Army all had some programs that guaranteed certain training opportunities. This could benefit the service, the potential service member, or both. It is up to the potential service member to READ THE CONTRACT, and if he needs his parents' help in doing so, he should utilize it.

In general, almost everyone agrees that the USAF is a more civilized and pleasant way to spend one's time, but advancement is usually slower than in the other services. The Army is probably fastest, while the Navy and USMC vary with the specialty. Myself, I have no complaints whatsoever about my Navy experience, and my son-in-law did well in the Marines.

You help your nephew see what's best for him. The (whichever) service will see what's best for them. If the enlistment contract seems to fit those well, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 04:13 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Can you please elaborate on this?
Not a veteran myself, but friends who are have Tricare, they get at least some medical care for free or low cost. This is not new or esoteric, been around a long time.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:42 AM

450 posts, read 284,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not a veteran myself, but friends who are have Tricare, they get at least some medical care for free or low cost. This is not new or esoteric, been around a long time.
As a veteran who was denied medical benefits upon leaving the army, I'm not sure what the criteria is for obtaining healthcare through the VA. But it isn't (or wasn't) something that everyone gets. Only recently, because of the PACT Act, am I eligible for VA healthcare due to my service in Desert Storm.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:32 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,097,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
As a veteran who was denied medical benefits upon leaving the army, I'm not sure what the criteria is for obtaining healthcare through the VA. But it isn't (or wasn't) something that everyone gets. Only recently, because of the PACT Act, am I eligible for VA healthcare due to my service in Desert Storm.
You might be eligible for receiving healthcare through the VA. The place to start is with a VSO.

https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa/county...ce%2CAscending

Old 04-18-2024, 09:49 AM

450 posts, read 284,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
You might be eligible for receiving healthcare through the VA. The place to start is with a VSO.

https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa/county...ce%2CAscending
As I stated in my last reply, I am eligible now (applied and approved 2 weeks ago), but I wasn't when I applied back in 1995. I didn't really care at the time since I got healthcare for my wife and I from my employer. I actually forgot that I even applied until I came across my denial letter when looking through old army paperwork.

But thanks for the link! It could come in handy in the future.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:25 PM

13,490 posts, read 4,310,536 times
I served Navy in the Naval Air platform and I had a blast. I was surrounded by the best people. I wasn't the smartest or the fastest but I had PROs around me everyday making me better at my job. I was a sub hunter on the P-3 Orion Squadrons and all We did everyday is deal with Soviet Nuclear Submarines and their patterns and tactics. If We weren't operating on deployment, We were training. Sonar, radar, sonobuoys patterns and the different sounds of subs at different speeds, depth and temperature was shoved in my head everyday. Like I said, if we weren't on deployment doing exercises at sea, We were back training all day, everyday. That's what I did for 2 terms. I prayed We never go to war with the Soviets because there was a very high probability We would get blown out of the sky by a missile sooner or later the war went along. It only takes one. I felt the same for the Soviet counterpart, all it takes is 1 missile to sink the sub. War is hell and hopefully We won't go into one unless there is no other choice. I was lucky and blessed to served but the military life is not for everybody. I had good mates in the Navy that couldn't hack the military structure and just wanted to get out. Some even did stupid things to get kicked out.

For my understanding, the Army is the biggest branch with more bases so they have more opening slots for promotion. It's easier to get promoted in the Army than the Navy or Marines. If you don't like the sea, stay away from the Navy unless you land like me a land base rate (MOS) and do it while you are single. The military is tough on young marriages.

The military is a lot different today than when I served during the Cold War but I'm not a grunt. Nothing against it, many of my H.S. friends went Army and Marines. So whatever job they offered me it better demand my brains above all and make it use it everyday.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:23 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times
Quote:
I agree with m1a1mg and would recommend Air Force. Navy would be a close second but their deployments are longer and are usually considered hardship tours. Army deployments are generally a year long and they are never in nice places like the Philippines or Greece. The drawback on Air Force is that promotions are harder to gain once you’re past your initial commitment. That being said army life is what you make of it generally. It can be rewarding and fun but all in all service in the army isn’t bad.
Re: the bolded text above . . . both of my Navy deployments were for 7-8 months each. This was during the Vietnam war. They were definitely not "hardship tours". Except for fighting in the gulf, I saw them as "adventures", and the opportunity to visit different countries and cultures. "Join the Navy and see the world" has an element of truth to it. (However, some ships are homeported overseas. That could be different. I wouldn't know as my ships were homeported in San Diego.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-26-2024, 12:55 PM

21,752 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Re: the bolded text above . . . both of my Navy deployments were for 7-8 months each. This was during the Vietnam war. They were definitely not "hardship tours". Except for fighting in the gulf, I saw them as "adventures", and the opportunity to visit different countries and cultures. "Join the Navy and see the world" has an element of truth to it. (However, some ships are homeported overseas. That could be different. I wouldn't know as my ships were homeported in San Diego.)
Not sure what definition fits “hardship tours.” But Vietnam Westpacs were no walk in the park for the air wing personnel (I did a pair as air crew). 12 hours of planes airborne everyday, alternating weeks of day-ops to night-ops, and all the pre and post flight maintenance and repairs, ordnance management, fueling, positioning aircraft on deck and down to hanger bay. Ship’s company had to support the air wing operations too. So, bird farms were serious duty cycles. Shore-based duty at bases like DaNang, where I also based, was definitely preferable.

I would imagine carrier and squadron duty since 9/11 is similarly intense.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,097,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not sure what definition fits “hardship tours.” But Vietnam Westpacs were no walk in the park for the air wing personnel (I did a pair as air crew). 12 hours of planes airborne everyday, alternating weeks of day-ops to night-ops, and all the pre and post flight maintenance and repairs, ordnance management, fueling, positioning aircraft on deck and down to hanger bay. Ship’s company had to support the air wing operations too. So, bird farms were serious duty cycles. Shore-based duty at bases like DaNang, where I also based, was definitely preferable.

I would imagine carrier and squadron duty since 9/11 is similarly intense.
For what I heard was called a hardship tour was to a base where families were not normally allowed. If you managed to get your spouse with you it would be without regular supplies from facilities. I was given a choice on an offered assignment. It was to Frankfort Germany to run a radio facility. It would allow me to take my family and be there 3 years or 18 months alone. I also was at the end of 8 years of active duty. I didn’t go and left active duty at that point. I had a very young family and wasn’t sure I wanted to make the army my full time job.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:25 PM

21,752 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
For what I heard was called a hardship tour was to a base where families were not normally allowed. If you managed to get your spouse with you it would be without regular supplies from facilities. I was given a choice on an offered assignment. It was to Frankfort Germany to run a radio facility. It would allow me to take my family and be there 3 years or 18 months alone. I also was at the end of 8 years of active duty. I didn’t go and left active duty at that point. I had a very young family and wasn’t sure I wanted to make the army my full time job.
Ah. Got it. By that definition, all Navy cruise tours were ‘hardship’

(On the other hand, I guess whether it was actually a ‘hardship’ would depend on how well you were getting along with you spouse, eh? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues