Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 10:32 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Boy it sure has gone tilty-whirl in the Montana section since Elk has passed. What's with all the political diatribe around here? Surely there are better things to talk about than politics. Heck I'd rather talk about my grandmothers foot cheese than politics. They both about smelled the same to me anyways…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
It's the identity politics. Nowadays ever'one thinks y'all got no eyedentedy outside o' yer polyticks.

Polyticks: many parasites. Think a good dose o' wormer would help??

Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Boy it sure has gone tilty-whirl in the Montana section since Elk has passed. What's with all the political diatribe around here? Surely there are better things to talk about than politics. Heck I'd rather talk about my grandmothers foot cheese than politics. They both about smelled the same to me anyways…
I'd rather read about your grandma's foot cheese, too, and that says a lot...

I've noticed the same drift, also over in the Idaho forum and elsewhere, and it's usually only a few (and often fairly new) posters being provocative. They're not necessarily trolls, they're just naturally pugnacious. That's why we have Porches . No pugnaciousness allowed .

Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM

Yeah, like I said to one of 'em, they just want to argue. If you agreed with 'em they'd find something else to argue about.

Now hand me that pitcher o' lemonade... I feels me a bout o' sittin' in the shade comin' on...

Speakin' of porches, this is what I saw from mine yesterday:

They're pretty used to people... they don't bother moving off til you get within about 20 feet of 'em.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Hmmm.. a little shelled corn, a trail to the kitchen door.. hmmmmm

Old 07-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Funny thing, my sister and I had the same thought... except I'm thinkin' a pen out behind the barn... no use payin' $7 a head for turkey chicks when they're makin' 'em in the woods all around me for free. I'm pretty sure that one hen has a nest over across the road.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,914 times
Default ....once a retriever,...always a retriever

...........had a little unusual situation occur today

Every day about 4 pm I go out to the dog run at 4 pm & feed him his 2 nd cup of dry kibble, then let him run for about 10 minutes & he usually goes out of site about 50 to 60 yards from the porch I'm sitting on. (takes about 5 minutes for him to 'answer nature's call'). Since he's trained to come back to the "beeper" that is on his E Collar, I gave him a few beeps & expected him to come runnin' back to the porch & give him a quick brushin' to get rid of those damn "cheat-grass" stickers . After an extra 5 minutes of no dog, I "beeped' him again and gave two blasts on the whistle & a "very-lite" "tingle" on the collar.

As expected, here he comes runnin' back to me lookin' "proud as he could look"....................and lays a 12" long Deer Leg (very young) at my feet.....................Evidentally he found a carcass down by the creek, of one of this spring's fawns that got killed by a coyote or ?.

So now what does a person do??..............he's a Retriever by natural instinct and training,....and yet a guy doesn't want his bird dog retrieving parts of dead animals from the deep-woods from around the property!!

I broke him from running deer back when he was about 11 months old, and that has stuck with him (I've been out with him many times & jumped a deer and all he does is look back at me and then watch it run away.)

So as not to confuse him, I calmly picked it up, did not praise him.....said "No" and had him watch me put it in the garbage can.

Tomorrow, I'll follow him "to-his-source" pick the remains up and again have him watch me put it in the garbage.

Any comments.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 PM

Sounds about what I would do. A dog will do what a dog does, and my pointers will occasionally find dead song birds and bring them around. I ignore it, throw them away and move on.

Don't make a fuss over it and he won't either.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 PM

I'd follow him to his find, and soon as he sniffs it -- "No, leave it" casual but firm, and a little more tingle from the collar to reinforce that and remind him of what he already knows, but don't make a big deal about it. He's not being bad, it's just none of his business.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

After a full day of steady rain, we're going to have a super gorgeous day in the mid-70's! I hope if you're weather is as nice you get a chance to get out and enjoy it today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana