Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 05:32 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,179,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
While not a scholarly tome, one of the best "Cowboy" books I've ever read is Trails Plowed Under by Charlie Russel, Yes, that Charles M Russel the celebrated western artist.
Done got me one, 1978 edition with "new color plates" and in 1996 was the property of a Don Greenberg (no location given).

Read one story at random, and yep, this is a good'un. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 06:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,594,523 times
You're welcome!

My copy was printed in 1945.

Just wait until you get to the story where an Elk treed on hunter and the other....

You'll just have to read it, but I smile every time I think of it.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You're welcome!

My copy was printed in 1945.
Now I'm jealous

Quote:
Just wait until you get to the story where an Elk treed on hunter and the other....

You'll just have to read it, but I smile every time I think of it.
Heh... skimming around, I get the feeling there are a lot of smiles in there.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:24 PM

There are. I've always loved the story of the Savage Santa Claus too.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:50 PM

My calendar is busted again.

Got a hard freeze last week. Burned every leaf out of the garden, but didn't seem to discourage more zucchini from appearing nor reduce the number of tomatoes that need processing. Did make the irrigation ditch turn off, apparently by itself. So figured it was off a little early this year and picked up all the hoses (1500 feet of 'em... some year I need to rig some proper pipe so it doesn't look like I'm farming giant spaghetti). Two days later there's water coming out of the side ditch pipe, and the main ditch is fuller than it's been all summer. Er, well, okay, I guess someone put the schedule into reverse... then today it's at half-mast, just shallow enough that the head gate doesn't pick up enough to notice.

I have no idea if I'm supposed to water or not.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:06 AM

Happy New Year, fellow porchers! What did you get for Xmas?

Dear Santa: please bring me a thermometer that doesn't go below zero.
Hey! This is marked in degrees Kelvin!
You could have at least brought me a lump of coal!!

Liftin' one to the memory of ElkHunter, who built this porch for us.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:13 AM

Yeah, still missing Elk hunter.

About all I got is frostbite. Blowing & drifting snow, I couldn't even get home the other night because one of the neighbors plowed a trench down the middle of the road that filled in about 3 times deeper than what they plowed.

Looks like we might get a winter this year.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM

Y'all gotta get us some pictures of that road with its piled-high trench, suitable for scaring off the thin-blooded.

That's one thing I learned about this snow-movin' thing... you gotta get it OUT of there, not just dig a hole in the middle, or it'll come back on you worse than you started!

I see they got officially -41 along the Hi-Line... probably a good deal colder out beyond where the street lights reach. We only got to about -5. Downright balmy!!

Old 01-05-2022, 10:49 AM

I live on a school bus route so the county gets out there and clears it quickly. Which was one of the big selling points for the place, and I really appreciate the diligence of my new county.
Back in Helena, they plowed the snow routs through town, but the side streets were just SOL. The city is really "green" there so they use solar power to clear the side streets, ( they wait until it melts in the spring).

Nice warm -10 here, but with a windchill of - 34.

We've been getting a lot of refugees from Washington and the states of Jefferson and the proposed Greater Idaho here. ( not sure how they're finding the place). But they do introduce themselves as refugees,
So I'm not sure how they'll take this cold since most are from areas that get some nasty weather too.

Guess we'll see come spring.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:13 AM

I used to live on Nelson Road (between Bozeman and Belgrade), back when it was just a few loads of gravel better than a dirt track and mostly uninhabited. But there were a bunch of kids down about halfway to the highway, and nowhere the school bus could turn around, so they plowed the whole thing. We couldn't get mail delivery or a phone line, but we had a plowed road all winter!

So, yer sayin' you might find some o' those lost refugees once the snowbanks melt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana