Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 AM

160 posts, read 301,253 times

Advertisements

Glad your ok Elk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Get well soon Elk. Glad to hear you are coming through.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Thanks everybody. But they haven't been able to kill me off yet.

I mentioned some complications, well it kind hit hard. Since last update, I have had 3 surjerys. All because of first complication. When you come out of surgery with. fever of 102, you know something.g is not right.

I am still in Billings, St Vincint, room 620. I could have went back to Sheridan. HOWEVER, Sheridan doesn't have the machine I am hooked up to here, so they are flying in the machne Monday.

I feel pretty damn good for a Guy that has been pickeked on so much. haha.
Glad to hear an update. I know St. Vincent isn't the ideal place to spend the 4th but make the best of it.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:44 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Thinking of you EH. Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Hey EH! It's good to hear from you. I was in Ranchester today and stopped by your place to see if you were still alive. Talked to your neighbor and got your hospital address. Glad you'll be headed back to Sheridan soon.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Many thanks for the well wishes. Them, your thoughts and prayers have got me home tonight. Finally rolled into the yard about 7 or so. I've had lots of hospital visits and have a!ways bounced back. This time has been the worst of them all. Barring any unforseen things popping up, this series of surgery's have corrected several complications I have had through the years. Thee way I feel, this one is going to be the hardest yet to bounce back from.. I am thinking this one will take a while.

Because of the many openings and closings, we decided to not close it up this time. So I am home, setting in my easy chair. I have an open 2 inch incision, 3 inches deep and an incision about 8 inches long, 3 inches deep. Unable to close them up, we chose to leave them open and let it heal from the inside out. So I stuff gauze 2 inch wide, down into the gap, back and forth a couple times I both holes. Then I cut foam rubber to fit each gap. I squirt a saline solution onto the foam rubber until it is soaked. Once everything is filled, I place a large piece of clear tape (8 inch by 16 inches over the top, in the center of this, I cut a hole with scissors. Then I put a hose over the hole and it sticks to the other tape. The hose is connected to a small portable pump (battery powered) and I turn it on. This draws a vacuum and a!! the bad stuff goes out the pomp. and it keeps a negative vacuum on the whole think. I have to do that twice a day. This will cause it to heal from the bottom of the crevace, to the top. Right now it's a little disconcerting to look in the crevace and see the stitches of stiff the surgeon sewestogether, inside, like the plumbing. hahahahahaa

It'll get better, it'll just take time.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Many thanks for the well wishes. Them, your thoughts and prayers have got me home tonight. Finally rolled into the yard about 7 or so. I've had lots of hospital visits and have a!ways bounced back. This time has been the worst of them all. Barring any unforseen things popping up, this series of surgery's have corrected several complications I have had through the years. Thee way I feel, this one is going to be the hardest yet to bounce back from.. I am thinking this one will take a while.

Because of the many openings and closings, we decided to not close it up this time. So I am home, setting in my easy chair. I have an open 2 inch incision, 3 inches deep and an incision about 8 inches long, 3 inches deep. Unable to close them up, we chose to leave them open and let it heal from the inside out. So I stuff gauze 2 inch wide, down into the gap, back and forth a couple times I both holes. Then I cut foam rubber to fit each gap. I squirt a saline solution onto the foam rubber until it is soaked. Once everything is filled, I place a large piece of clear tape (8 inch by 16 inches over the top, in the center of this, I cut a hole with scissors. Then I put a hose over the hole and it sticks to the other tape. The hose is connected to a small portable pump (battery powered) and I turn it on. This draws a vacuum and a!! the bad stuff goes out the pomp. and it keeps a negative vacuum on the whole think. I have to do that twice a day. This will cause it to heal from the bottom of the crevace, to the top. Right now it's a little disconcerting to look in the crevace and see the stitches of stiff the surgeon sewestogether, inside, like the plumbing. hahahahahaa

It'll get better, it'll just take time.
................You are a tuff-old-bird, there's no denying that.................but please, no heroics.........when you need help ........ask for it........I'm sure there are many folks close by that would jump at the chance to help out......................How about Timber and the horses?......have you got arrangements set up to take care of them without you having to be involved??

How about "Meals-on-Wheels"..................can you get that "service" out to your place? I'd sure check it out...........you got nothing to lose

I am familiar with the procedure of having those "wide, deep and ugly-lookin' incisions heal from the inside-out...........takes longer, but certainly reduces the possibility of related problems if sewed up in the typical fashion.

Best of luck to you, and.........please accept the help that I'm sure is being offered.

Oh, by the way..........did you get "any-offers" from some of those "sweet little nurses"?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Glad to hear you're on the mend Elk
Just take it easy and let yourself heal. My father had some engine work done on his heart at St V's a few years ago. Couple of bypasses
First thing he did when he got home was to walk to the top of the hill behind his house to check the doctors "plumbing skills".

Since the stutures all held, he decided the doctor did OK

It took 3 men and a horse to hold him from going back to regular activities until he had healed and recieved a clean bill of health from the doctor, but it was worth the effort.
Last weekend my 79 year old father was pitching 70 lb bales of hay in the field like they were nothing. Worked from 8:00 in the morning until the last load at 7:30 for the 4th. 5th and 6th. Still going strong when I "reluctantly" had to go back to Helena because I had to work.

Crazy old varmint! I been working with him all my life, and I still can't keep up to him!

You take it easy and heal so you can do what you want to do. Timber wouldn't have anyone to buy her fancy clothes if you go, and you know how the ladies like to have all the latest fashions.

You need help you sing out. I'm in Big Stick most weekends which is just a hop, skip and long jump from Sheridan if you need anything.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Thanks everybody.

Have a friend that stops for coffee every morning. He took me into town to get the latest doo-dad's installed. Had plans to. stop at Wally world after and pick up a few things. It took so much out of me, just at the VA, that I had him bring me home when the VA was done with me. That was plenty for one day. I did have him run inside for me and pick me up some jello. Then he dropped me off and I have camped out on my Lazy-Boy watching old Westerns, between naps the rest of the day.

The problem with meals on wheels is that the surgery repaired old plumbing issues, so all I can have right now is jello and pudding. I had a couple dozen boxes of instant pudding, hence the reason I had my friend pick me up jello. hahaha. At this point, meals on wheels would be a waste, but yes, they do deliver out in my area and at one point I'll be giving them a call.

Next trip to town will be Friday morning to have wound dressing changed out. You know it hurts when they hit you with morphine, just to change your dressing. Right now dressing change is every 3 days but will be every other for a while. Once new dressing is in place, it does feel a lot more comfortable. My friend will be taking me for that trip again. Remember, I am not supposed to be drriving with that broken foot. hahaha

Once again, the nurses were outstanding. Certainly no complaints from me.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM

58 posts, read 139,226 times
I was thankful to read that you are healing and trying to rest. You will remain in my prayers, continue to keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: