Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just an update.

Still having a few bad days, but not near as many as before. Actually feeling pretty good. Just have to keep reminding myself not to over do it. That's easy to say and hard to comply. On days I feel really good it is difficult to not push and get things done. Kind of like that tough old Griz, I live by myself and if I don't do it, it doesn't get done.

I was carrying water to my garden as my cabin doesn't have an outside spigot, but that stopped after the surgery so I had a friend carry water for me. I think I mentioned we put in 6 new RV spaces to add to the three we had. Last week I picked up fittings and 't'd' into water on the space next to my cabin and now can water with a hose.

We kind of had a rush on the 6 new spaces so I had to grab the dump truck and bring in 8 loads of 2 minus. Then took the Kabota and spread it. Following day we had 5 RV's move in, so just in the nick of time. Problem is it was 100+ that day and I over did it. Following day I left the A/C of the cabin and only went to the porch for a few minutes in the evening. Now I am putting a new deck in my small trailer so I am painting wood. This I am really being careful. So far I have painted three times, only about 45 minutes, each day. That has been enough in this heat. Today, the high is only supposed to hit 83, so this evening I should be able to get a little more done.

Wound is shrinking, slow but sure. Hole at the top is almost closed, 3 cm. The lips were about 35 cm is now down to 19 cm long and it was 6 cm wide, now 2.5 cm wide.

I have a follow on appointment in Billings next week. Last follow up appointment, they kept me and went back to cutting, so I am kind of Leary. hahahahahaha. Hopefully, they'll pull this drain out of me, its getting old hooking it up 4-5 times a day. Of course the vacuum pump is getting old too, but I will have to carry that another 3 weeks or so.

Well, that's how I stand. Still going in to the VA every other day for wound dressing change, but starting next week, we are going to shoot for three days instead of two.
.........Hey Elk..............

I just turned the 'puter on and was gonna give you a shout & see how things were progressing...................but you beat me to it

Really glad that things are going well.....................I'll bet the Doc would love to catch you driving that Dump Truck and the Kabota

Looks like we're in for another round (next 7 to 8 days) of temps up to 95 or so----------damn, I really do dislike hot weather. Yesterday was great.....a high of 74, but today it's startin' to climb back up. I took the opportunity yesterday of getting up on my roof and did my annual 'caulking' (with that Black Mastic Stuff) around where the rock chimney comes up through the shake roof. Just to be on the 'safe' side.......I "tie my self off" to the chimney with a length of 1" dia cotton rope in case I slip. It's about 18 feet down to ground level, so if I do slip, the length I use will stop me right at the edge of the roof.
Last time I did this my daughter "caught-me-in-the-act", and boy did I catch Hell for about 3 days

Take care now, 'ya hear!

EDIT:.....Almost forgot.......got a phone call yesterday from one of "my-old-girl-friends" from high school (we call each other about every 6 months). Looks like I'll be driving back to "far northern Illinois" ..(with my dog of course)..in about 11 months.

The "Reunion committee" has agreed to have one more Class Reunion--(this will be THE 65th !!. We were a graduating class of 94 in June 1950. I never attended one until the year 2000--had such a good time, I went back for the one in 2005 and 2010. At the last one (2010) there were 19 actual grads that made it and about half of them had their spouses with them. This time the Committee is looking into combining with the classes of 1949 and 1951 to make it worth while..

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-25-2014 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Added "late breakin' news"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Sounds like fun. I haven't gone to any of my reunions. A good. friend went to a couple and said thhhey we were drunk texts so he no longer goes.

Talk about my doc raising cane about the dump truck and tractor, you've been caught once and are now a repeat offender. hahahahaha

Old 07-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Well,Mike loaded up the wagon and team and took them up in the Big Horns this morning to go on an all day wagon ride. Should be beautiful up there, a perfect day for a ride. I passed, although I really wanted to go. Pain wise, it would not have been a problem, but, with is drain still in and wearing a wound vac, I really don't want to chance it. Sitting. here all bummed out but still think k I made the right decision. If the wound vac quits, I have about an hour to hour and a half to get to the hospital. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Run up to Billings today. They pulled the drain out of me, but still have the. wound vac. Got very good. reports from labs and both the first doctor and the surgeon. Both Dr's were very pleased with the progress I have made. Next trip to Billings is 3 September.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
Quote:
Run up to Billings today. They pulled the drain out of me, but still have the. wound vac. Got very good. reports from labs and both the first doctor and the surgeon. Both Dr's were very pleased with the progress I have made. Next trip to Billings is 3 September.
>>>>>>Very good news ...............glad things are going along so well.

Just curious, what do you do with Timber on these trips to Billings?

Keep up the "good work"...................You ought to be up to a pint/week of those Jalapenos by Christmas .............................. .................Ketch ya later!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Glad you're doing well Elk

I can sympathize, I pulled my back this week and have been hobbling around and can't get anything done.

However, my wife (the She-Bear) is a nurse and makes sure I follow doctors orders, so all I can do is be a grumpy patient

Hopefully we will both be back in fightin' form before the snowfall

Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Timber is a registered service. dog, so most trips I take her with me. There are limitations, for instance I can't take her into a surgical area. That gets tricky, in that she they change my wound dressing, because of the exposure of the wound, some places/Dr's call that a surgical area and some don't. I have taken her in the past and they have accepted her with open arms. Yesterday, the nurses and Dr asked me why I didn't bring her because they looked forward to seeing her. However, I don't feel real comfortable having Timber in the room when they expose the wound, so I leave her here with a friend. The trips to the VA are different, I always take her with me. I drive the 4 wheeler and of course, she loves the 21 mile ride in and when I get there I simply tell her to "stay" and i go in. She stays right there, either perched on top where she rides or along side in the shade. I have watched her from a window. Periodically she will jump down to pee and then jumps right back up, never getting more than 3 or 4 feet from the 4 wheeler. Where I park is up against a curb with lawn for her to lay on.

Sorry to about your back. Back strains can be nasty to say the least. There is no telling the length of time to heel. Yes, always listen to nurses, always be curious, they are your lifeline and are the difference between a good or bad stay in the hospital. A nurse at home is even more important to you being a good 'patient'. hahaha

Old 07-31-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Timber is a registered service. dog, so most trips I take her with me. There are limitations, for instance I can't take her into a surgical area. That gets tricky, in that she they change my wound dressing, because of the exposure of the wound, some places/Dr's call that a surgical area and some don't. I have taken her in the past and they have accepted her with open arms. Yesterday, the nurses and Dr asked me why I didn't bring her because they looked forward to seeing her. However, I don't feel real comfortable having Timber in the room when they expose the wound, so I leave her here with a friend. The trips to the VA are different, I always take her with me. I drive the 4 wheeler and of course, she loves the 21 mile ride in and when I get there I simply tell her to "stay" and i go in. She stays right there, either perched on top where she rides or along side in the shade. I have watched her from a window. Periodically she will jump down to pee and then jumps right back up, never getting more than 3 or 4 feet from the 4 wheeler. Where I park is up against a curb with lawn for her to lay on.

Sorry to about your back. Back strains can be nasty to say the least. There is no telling the length of time to heel. Yes, always listen to nurses, always be curious, they are your lifeline and are the difference between a good or bad stay in the hospital. A nurse at home is even more important to you being a good 'patient'. hahaha
A good dog is a real source of joy. My father has a little dog that won't leave his side, she talks to him and he spoils her, but he has always had a pack of dogs around, this one is the first to have the upper hand, but she sure makes him happy, so she is a great dog in my book.
She is qualified to go into nursing homes as a service animal to visit the residents, and they love her!

Thanks Elk. My back is OK, I just have a compressed disk and when I overdo it, I pay for it.

The She-Bear doesn't take any lip from me, so while I can grumble, I have to follow orders....OR ELSE

Funny how a small woman can make life so miserable when they don't get their way or you ignore their orders...

Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 PM

Update as of this morning.

The wound started out as two parts, not sure if you could tell in the picture. The long open part and the a whole above it about 1 3/4 in in diameter. Then, last week, the surgeon ripped the drain tube out, giving me another hole, about 1/2 inch in diameter.

Today, the drain hole is gone, no bandage. The large whole at the top is small enough that today the nurse covered it with a 1/2 inch square bandaid. The long 17 inch incision is now only 17cm long and still has the wound vac on it. Almost healed.

Remember last year I was running a roller and it failed and I rolled it down a hill backwards and jumped it out into the woods. When I bailed off of it, I broke all the joints in my right foot, destroying all of the ligaments and tendons????? Guy called me a couple nights ago, wanted me to run roller again for him, so in a week or so, Timber and I will be back up on that roller. hahaha. This time with a foot and leg brace still on since last years wreck.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Glad to hear your incision is doing so well

Need to get back together quickly now, Hunting season is just around the corner

Be careful on that roller this time. We don't need you hurting yourself even more. We aren't as young as we used to be, and it takes longer to heal each time we hurt ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: