Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 10,941 times

Advertisements

All,

I own about 20 acres of raw land in the Flathead Valley area and am going to begin clearing and setting it up for a series of DIY construction. It's heavily wooded and I'm going to keep it that way aside from a few trees here and there for the roads and build site.

So, I'm looking for resources throughout the process, such as:

- where to find potable water I can haul in until I finally get a well
- which businesses to rent a tractor/mini-excavator/backhoe
- the best places to buy lumber
- where to buy a utility trailer
- which businesses around Kalispell allow you to haul away their pallets for free
- the best places to buy a woodstove, off-grid type appliances, and so on

That's a good list of basics to start with. Any tips, advice, etc., are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 11:06 PM

177 posts, read 125,026 times
If you have not done it already, I would contact the regional forester and have them come out and go over your land with you. I learned a ton about my place, but I am also very green when it comes to owning and taking care of timbered land.

As far as equipment rental is concerned I use the Cat Rental Store on 93.

Old 05-23-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
If you have not done it already, I would contact the regional forester and have them come out and go over your land with you. I learned a ton about my place, but I am also very green when it comes to owning and taking care of timbered land.

As far as equipment rental is concerned I use the Cat Rental Store on 93.

Thank you for your response!

I've never heard of a "regional forester." Is there some county or state office that falls under?

How were the service and prices from the Cat Rental Store? Did they deliver? Could you find the types of machines and equipment you needed? Attachments?

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2023, 07:56 AM

Does anyone know where to get potable water for totes/Jeep can/RV?

How about where to find free wood pallets?

Old 05-26-2023, 11:44 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
There is at least one place in Sanders Ct with a roadside frostfree spring, in Heron. People stop there to fill jugs and containers. That's a bit of a journey from the Flathead, but you may try calling the Polson Chamber of Commerce, (406) 883-5969. They may know of similar public water sources. If you're willing to pay for water delivery, there is a Culligan service out of Kalispell.

And congrats on your 20 acres, and good luck with your project! We are putting the finishing touches on our retirement home over in Clark Fork, ID, on 5 wooded acres. I could give you some pointers related to Bonner Ct, but that is not much help for you locally.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 05-26-2023 at 11:54 PM..

Old 05-27-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
There is at least one place in Sanders Ct with a roadside frostfree spring, in Heron. People stop there to fill jugs and containers. That's a bit of a journey from the Flathead, but you may try calling the Polson Chamber of Commerce, (406) 883-5969. They may know of similar public water sources. If you're willing to pay for water delivery, there is a Culligan service out of Kalispell.

And congrats on your 20 acres, and good luck with your project! We are putting the finishing touches on our retirement home over in Clark Fork, ID, on 5 wooded acres. I could give you some pointers related to Bonner Ct, but that is not much help for you locally.

Thank you so much for the tips and info! I'll take a look at those options.

Does Culligan deliver to remote properties that are approx 30 mins from town?

Thank you for also sharing about your retirement home project. I'd definitely love to get any tips, pointers, POCs, lessons learned, etc., for that. I'm retired, but my wife is still working, so we're basically doing a modified "Snowbird" approach now. So I'm working on the property whenever I have time to get out there, which also means going for quick, easy, and efficient when it comes to building and utility options.

Does anyone know of some local businesses that sell affordable logs, timbers, for building?

(Aside from big box stores)

Old 05-31-2023, 09:40 PM

177 posts, read 125,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataResearchGuy View Post
Thank you for your response!

I've never heard of a "regional forester." Is there some county or state office that falls under?
https://dnrc.mt.gov/Forestry/Forest-...local-forester

Montana Dept Natural Resources. Our taxes pay for them already, so it's great to actually see a return on the investment.

How were the service and prices from the Cat Rental Store? Did they deliver? Could you find the types of machines and equipment you needed? Attachments?

I've used them and Big Sky which got bought out by Sunbelt. I used the one on HWY 93 at south end of Kalispell. They delivered for an extra fee. I needed a rough terrain scissor lift with outriggers. They only had a bigger machine than I needed, but the manager gave me the larger machine at the rate for the machine I wanted. They have an online inventory https://www.westernstatescat.com/rental/rental-store/

Thanks again![/quote]

Old 06-01-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
https://dnrc.mt.gov/Forestry/Forest-...local-forester

Montana Dept Natural Resources. Our taxes pay for them already, so it's great to actually see a return on the investment.
Nice!! How often does THAT happen, right?

Quote:

I've used them and Big Sky which got bought out by Sunbelt. I used the one on HWY 93 at south end of Kalispell. They delivered for an extra fee. I needed a rough terrain scissor lift with outriggers. They only had a bigger machine than I needed, but the manager gave me the larger machine at the rate for the machine I wanted. They have an online inventory https://www.westernstatescat.com/rental/rental-store/
Wow! Great info, thank you so much!!

Old 06-14-2023, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 6,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataResearchGuy View Post
All,

I own about 20 acres of raw land in the Flathead Valley area and am going to begin clearing and setting it up for a series of DIY construction. It's heavily wooded and I'm going to keep it that way aside from a few trees here and there for the roads and build site.

So, I'm looking for resources throughout the process, such as:

- where to find potable water I can haul in until I finally get a well
- which businesses to rent a tractor/mini-excavator/backhoe
- the best places to buy lumber
- where to buy a utility trailer
- which businesses around Kalispell allow you to haul away their pallets for free
- the best places to buy a woodstove, off-grid type appliances, and so on

That's a good list of basics to start with. Any tips, advice, etc., are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Potable water: There is a spring in the canyon on HWY 2 headed into Hungry Horse. It's called Berne Park.
Business to rent equipment: Cat Rental or Midway Rental
Lumber: Lowes, Home Depot, Wester Building Center, Badger Building Center
Utility Trailer: There is a place on LaSalle North of the airport. I think it's called PJ's Trailers.
Pallets: Most businesses will allow you to take their pallets if you talk with them. I know that Murdoch's in Columbia Falls will sometimes set out their pallets for the taking.
Woodstove: Anderson's Masonry.

For your land, definitely contact Stoltze Lumber in Columbia Falls. Ask to speak with a forester. They will come out and teach you about your land. If you want to to log it a little, they can help with that as well.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeadow15 View Post
Potable water: There is a spring in the canyon on HWY 2 headed into Hungry Horse. It's called Berne Park.
Business to rent equipment: Cat Rental or Midway Rental
Lumber: Lowes, Home Depot, Wester Building Center, Badger Building Center
Utility Trailer: There is a place on LaSalle North of the airport. I think it's called PJ's Trailers.
Pallets: Most businesses will allow you to take their pallets if you talk with them. I know that Murdoch's in Columbia Falls will sometimes set out their pallets for the taking.
Woodstove: Anderson's Masonry.

For your land, definitely contact Stoltze Lumber in Columbia Falls. Ask to speak with a forester. They will come out and teach you about your land. If you want to to log it a little, they can help with that as well.
Quote:
Wouldn't that still need to be treated? Is there some type of spigot to fill containers or totes?

Quote:
I'll have to check that out. I cannot BELIEVE how expensive utility trailers have gotten.

Quote:
That's what it looked like to me, but I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Thank you for the response and the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana