Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:39 AM

16 posts, read 132,716 times

Advertisements

i have been reading the posts here, and most of what i have been reading makes it seem like some of you just dont want ANYONE to move to montana. you blame everything on the 'outsiders'. have you ever thought that some of us want to go to a place where we can live and survive?

where i live now, a 3bd 1 ba house with a very small yard (if any) will cost you about 700k. i have lived here most of my life and i am already sad about having to leave. but, i am not bitter toward anyone who moves here. whether they have money or not. change will happen whether you like it or not.

please stop blaming everyone for the bad things. good and bad are everywhere. some of us really do want to move to montana because of the beauty we see. not to make it worse.

Last edited by halliwellalien; 02-10-2007 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 AM

22 posts, read 179,300 times
Unhappy The anger is understandable.

Its a hard thing to watch the world you love slip away at the hands of people who don't seem to care two straws about it. I think this forum could be (and is) a place for people to vent. I feel the same as they do when I think about my city. But my city is based on tourism and development, so I don't have much room to talk.

But the angry talk does make newcomers, some of whom have no intention of destroying the views and wildlife, a little nervous.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 AM

529 posts, read 1,894,370 times
We here in Montana, truely do love our home.

Some of us are used to being caring and kind to each other.... we've grown to have a sense of community....... we've enjoyed the company of good neighbors and are accustomed to those who would be responsible.

Our communities are small and close and thoughtful of each other....

What's been going on over the recent past, is that we are being displaced by those who would rather not be kind, caring, close or responsible.....
We have those who would much rather upset our economic apple cart.. who trod on our forests and open spaces..... who don't give any thought to our natural beauty, our history and most of all, our people and how they've chosen to live.

We who are Montana, have lived through the refining fires of life... we've suffered through countless rough winters, economic depressions, and drought filled cropless seasons..... We, who are Montana, deserve to be who we are.

The sentiment is indeed understandable in many cases.
There are those here in Montana that are witnessing, first hand, their way of life being swept away by those who would just as soon care less about us, our way of life, our concerns, our economic survival, and especially, our wide open spaces.....

Montana is a mighty rich girl..... she's experienced countless numbers of abuses over the past 100 or so years. It's not so much us, but more Montana herself, that decides who stays..... many who come here, leave, because Montana doesn't allow them to stay...... whether it be by economics, climate, geography...... many who come, don't stay.

We'll witness the million dollar homes for sale in Lincoln County as a testament to this fact..... we aren't just any ole cup-o-tea..... and many who come here find this out in pretty short order.

Now, I'm not going to sit here banging away on this keyboard telling everyone to just stay away..... Quite the contrary......
I'll say... Come on in....... Move here...... Settle down and live the good life.....

Everyone deserves to live their dreams.... if they can..... and if moving to Montana is a part of your dream..... then so be it.....

And while you are making preparation to fullfill your dream, you might want to consider cutting your current budget in exactly half of what you've grown accustomed to.... because it's gonna take some dollars to just live here, neverminding anything else, like new cars, private schools for the kids and so on.... and so forth.

Prepare yourself, your family, to run on the proverbial shoestring... to fly by the seat of your pants.... to run roughshod...... because sometimes, living here just isn't the "walk-in-the-park" that some would have you believe.
There's a price to be paid by those who choose to surround themselves with all of this beauty......

If you are moving to Montana for the "simple" life...... then your bucket will overflow with it for sure...... just remember to live "simple"..... and you'll be alright.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 02-10-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM

791 posts, read 1,821,420 times
Thumbs up Montana Loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
We here in Montana, truely do love our home.

....we are being displaced by those who would rather not be kind, caring, close or responsible...those who would much rather upset our economic apple cart...who trod on our forests and open spaces....who don't give any thought to our natural beauty, our history and most of all, our people and how they've chosen to live.

We who are Montana, have lived through the refining fires of life...we've suffered through countless rough winters, economic depressions, and drought filled cropless seasons....We, who are Montana, deserve to be who we are.

There are those here in Montana that are witnessing, first hand, their way of life being swept away by those who would just as soon care less about us, our way of life, our concerns, our economic survival, and especially, our wide open spaces...

Everyone deserves to live their dreams....if they can....and if moving to Montana is a part of your dream....then so be it.....

If you are moving to Montana for the "simple" life....then your bucket will overflow with it for sure.....just remember to live "simple".....and you'll be alright.
GiftShoppeGuy,

This is the first thread I've read in this Forum, so I might be sticking my neck out further than I realize. However, because I've never known when to shut up, I'll proceed and hope I get behind the bullet proof glass quick enough to save myself....temporarily at least...

First off, let me give you a big ^^^^^^^^5 (High 5)

Personally, I think you've said what others wish they could have...regardless of their place/state of residence. I truly believe that most native born residents possess a loyalty for their homestate that runs very deep. I know I do.

My first reaction to your post was..."Good for You....I don't blame you one bit!!!" My favorite line was..."We, who are Montana, deserve to be who we are."

Your loyalty to your home, your community and way of life are to be commended. If more of us were that way, then maybe everyone wouldn't want to be leaving their own home states for a better way of life....Ya know what I mean?

Being a native Californian, I am FIERCLY proud of my state, and will NEVER deny my loyalty to her. However, because most of us CA natives didn't have the same strong 'backbone' that Montana residents have, we've fallen victim to EXACTLY what you're fighting to avoid. Good for you!

My husband and I are looking to leave CA, and NOT because we want to...but because we feel we have no choice anymore. Our entire state is being taken over by people that are re-creating exactly what they were running from. CA was once a Grand Lady. Unfortunately, because of bad politics and neglectful residents, she's starting show her battle scars, and it's gonna take one huge, expensive, uncomfortable surgical procedure to save her. It breaks my heart!

Now halliwellalien, you said...
Quote:
most of what i have been reading makes it seem like some of you just dont want ANYONE to move to montana.
IMHO, I don't believe that to be true. What they don't want is for people to come there and turn it into another CA, NY, FL, TX, DC, etc... Why on Gods Green Earth would they want their peaceful way of life, beautiful landscape and wildlife to be replaced with Highrises, High Crime Rates, Subdivisions up the wazoo, Ghettos, Welfare Rats, Traffic Gridlock, Bad Attitudes, Bad Manners, Gangs, and people that can't or won't speak english? And let's not forget the 'hurry, hurry, I want it NOW, it was due yesterday, multi-task your A** off' mentality.

What they want are people that will join their communities and not try to change them. People that will carry on their traditions and way of life. People that will RESPECT the land, the natural beauty, & their history and do whatever it takes to preserve and protect it.

Now granted....not everyone going to MT will have that mentality. There are some...maybe you....that truly want to give up all that you've known to drastically change your way of life, to acclimate to their way of doing things, and live a better...simpler life.

It just looks like you'll need to prove yourselves and expect to be under the watchful eyes of Montana's proud protectors....for a while at least. I sure wish Californians had done the same thing.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Those wishing to enter the lottery to see who gets to 'cut the rope', please get in line and take a number.

Sincerely, this post is not meant to offend any person (s) specifically. It is just a general, personal point of view/thought. Please look deep inside yourselves before you become too offended by any of this. You might just find that maybe there's a some truth to this.

Best Regards To All,
Boof
God Bless The USA!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:14 PM

373 posts, read 1,854,335 times
This is what I find so funny...why is it kind of seen as morally wrong not to want more people to move here? I live in Montana because I don't want to be around a lot of people, no matter how wonderful their ideals and manners are. I don't want more people to move here. I will probably be very friendly and open to a new person who I meet who just moved to Montana. However, as a concept, I do not want our number of persons per square mile to go up. I'm going to get a lot of "you can't fight progress." Well, I know I can't fight progress, but it doesn't mean I have to embrace a big population increase. It's nothing personal. I don't really care about how bad it is in other states compared to Montana. It doesn't matter to me. It's not a relative discussion. I just don't want things to continue to get worse. I should not have to feel shamed for wanting to maintain the life I grew up with...I don't want to be posting on the Alaska board in 15 years (no offense to Alaska) with questions about moving there. We shouldn't have to feel bad for wanting to keep our Montana culture from eroding away.

I loved the post from the person from California. It's not quite exactly where I'm coming from, but a lot of the points about protecting your lifestyle are really on target.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
I can't see why any Montanan would get upset over newcomers. Montana has a low growth rate in population as compared to most of the western states. Idaho has had tremendous growth in comparison and Boise has actually become a fairly major city. This has helped the economy in Idaho and new industries and jobs are the result. If anyone wants to complain I would suggest that they complain to state officials who do such a terrible job attracting businesses to the state. Newcomers are actually an asset to Montana.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 PM

373 posts, read 1,854,335 times
I'd prefer to work a couple of jobs and be away from cities. I think we should focus less on how we can make more money and more on how we can have real relationships with our families and neighbors...A class C town at basketball tournament time--just makes my heart melt. Money can't buy happiness.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,821,420 times
Cool Keep up the fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
This is what I find so funny...why is it kind of seen as morally wrong not to want more people to move here?
Lorelei, It's not that it's morally wrong, per se, it's that it's not Politically Correct. You might hurt someoness feelings or offend them. Heaven Forbid!!! (gag)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873
I live in Montana because I don't want to be around a lot of people, no matter how wonderful their ideals and manners are. I don't want more people to move here.
I don't blame you one bit! I'd fight to keep it that way too if I were you.

Quote:
I do not want our number of persons per square mile to go up. I'm going to get a lot of "you can't fight progress." Well, I know I can't fight progress, but....
Maybe not, but you can sure give it your best try!! Write letters to everyone in government you can think of.....they need to hear from you. Unfortunately, we've already lost.
Quote:
I don't really care about how bad it is in other states compared to Montana. It doesn't matter to me.
You should care....to the extent that you learn from their mistakes. When you're fighting progress, you'll need all the info you can get.
Quote:
I should not have to feel shamed for wanting to maintain the life I grew up with...I don't want to be posting on the Alaska board in 15 years (no offense to Alaska) with questions about moving there. We shouldn't have to feel bad for wanting to keep our Montana culture from eroding away.

I know exactly where you are coming from. That's why it's so important for you MT natives to take the bull by the horn NOW. Don't wait till you're in the same boat CA is in now. It's too late for us, but not for you....Save Yourselves!!!!!!!

Quote:
I loved the post from the person from California. It's not quite exactly where I'm coming from, but a lot of the points about protecting your lifestyle are really on target.

Thx. Good luck in the fight! I'll be rootin' for ya!!

Boof

Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 AM

495 posts, read 494,312 times
It's real simple......................if you live in montana, just take a look around....your way of life is, if not already has disappeared. Does that make you happy ? I DON'T THINK SO.....
Montana is very very trendy, people move here just for the sake of moving here, they saw a movie or something. I say just move someplace else , you don't need Montana to make your life happy.
All the people moving in are ruining the state, ruining the way of life montana's have grown up loving. You don't have to move here, find someplace else that is beautiful, a place that doesn't have people piling in.
I've said it before, if you grewup here, have family, etc, and are moving back....wecome home, However, if you just wanna move somewhere, find a beautiful quite place outside of Montana and god bless you, because you'll have a nicer place to live then we do currently here in Montana.
You don't know how sad it is to see the places you use to ride your bike and fish, just get torn up and turned into shopping malls, subdivision and big box stores, some movie stars hobbie ranch, so some fat cats can make money and people rich or poor are just moving there for the sake of moving there are creating the same problem they left behind.
I'm with the person who said, it's not moraly wrong to say we don't like crowds, that's why live here and do what it takes, so what makes you think we'd be happy with everyone crowding in.
So on the other hand why don't you all just have some respect for the people who live here, respect our way of life, and find your piece of heaven somewhere else........and pray to god that no one ever writes a book or makes a move about it.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 AM

16 posts, read 132,716 times
i find it sad that some of you feel like that. i do understand the love you feel for your home state. as i stated before, i love my state. but, as with everywhere, things change.

"You don't know how sad it is to see the places you use to ride your bike and fish, just get torn up and turned into shopping malls, subdivision and big box stores, some movie stars hobbie ranch, so some fat cats can make money and people rich or poor are just moving there for the sake of moving there are creating the same problem they left behind. "

JoeJoeMan, i too remember when i could ride my bike places. now, there are shootings in our playgrounds, and drugs are crazy here.

"Montana is very very trendy, people move here just for the sake of moving here, they saw a movie or something. I say just move someplace else , you don't need Montana to make your life happy. "

we didnt choose montana because of a movie. we chose it for the beauty that reminds me of my home state. you can be as angry as you want, but people will move to montana.

i am sorry for the people that move there and try to change it. that is not what we want. i have read some posts, and have felt good about moving to montana. and then there are those that make me wonder. but, even with all of that, we will be moving to montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana