Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

While I completely disagree with the banning as it's way too intrusive and IMO goes against the idea of being a "montanan" where freedom is protected. If this ban goes through then maybe they should ban the dogs that continually come on my land and bark,poop and generally harrass everyone. How about German Shepards?
I would support strengthening the penalties for allowing your dog to either run loose or bite someone. If your child hurts someone you and the child are responsible both legally and financially, it should be the same for pets.
What I do not like is groups that totally misrepresent an issue just to garner support like the group you linked. They say that the bill requires destruction of the dogs in the state after the bill is passed and this is not quite the whole truth, it's a misstatement designed to whip up support. After I read the bill I found it actually says:
NEW SECTION. Section 2. Removal of pit bull dog -- destruction. (1) A person who owns, keeps, or harbors a pit bull dog in violation of [section 1(1)] shall surrender the dog to any peace officer or representative of a county or municipal agency with authority for animal control unless the owner provides proof that the dog:

(a) is registered in accordance with [section 1(3)]; or

(b) is not a pit bull dog.

(2) Pursuant to a search warrant supported by probable cause and issued by a district court judge, municipal court judge, or justice of the peace, a peace officer may seize a pit bull dog and place the dog with the county or municipal agency with authority for animal control.

(3) Within 10 days of receiving a pit bull dog, the county or municipal agency with authority for animal control shall euthanize the dog unless the owner provides proof that the dog is not a pit bull dog or that the dog was registered and exempt from the provisions of [section 1(1)].

(4) The county may establish a fair hearing process for an appeal of a determination that a dog is a pit bull dog.

If you don't register your dog after the bill is passed or are in violation of section 1 then the dog can be put down.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,626 times
Reintroduce and protect wolves and then try to ban and destroy pit bulls. Talk about a double standard. Government is getting wackier and wackier these days.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I was attacked by a Pitbull, so I've seen close up how dangerous these dogs can be. I agree part of the problem is with the owner but there's no question the dogs have a tendency to be aggressive.
I've been attacked by a chocolate lab... guess we need to ban them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I would support this legislation. I'm not a fan of aggressive dogs be they pit bulls, German shepherds or little barky punt dogs. (A 'punt dog' is a pesky little canine jerk that you'd just love to punt half way down the block!)

I have a 7 year old Golden Retriever that feels the same way. He doesn't bark or bite and actually whines pitifully when confronted by barking or aggressive dogs!!
I have a 2 year old pitbull... My parents own 4 daschunds from which my pitbull hides in fear everytime one of them growls at him. He's never bitten anyone and scares himself the few times he does bark. I also own a chocolate lab (the one mentioned above) and she is aggressive when it comes to protecting her food, water, bones, etc. Why aren't we banning chocolate labs?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM

239 posts, read 687,787 times
I don't like the reintroduction of wolves either but the discussion is about "domesticated" pit bulls. I don't think anyone would ever advocate domesticating wolves.

All dog breeds were originally started by wolves and developed for a certain function. Pit bulls were developed specifically for fighting and protection. We have evolved over the last 400 years and probably shouldn't need dogs to protect us.

I know of many pits that are very docile and make good pets, but every time we hear of a pit bull attack the story always mentions a long history of the dog being docile and a wonderful pet. I personally would not want a four year old kid encountering a pit bill that is loose in a park. It is not worth the risk.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShads2 View Post

I have a 2 year old pitbull... My parents own 4 daschunds from which my pitbull hides in fear everytime one of them growls at him. He's never bitten anyone and scares himself the few times he does bark. I also own a chocolate lab (the one mentioned above) and she is aggressive when it comes to protecting her food, water, bones, etc. Why aren't we banning chocolate labs?
Fear the long and low....

Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:

. I also own a chocolate lab (the one mentioned above) and she is aggressive when it comes to protecting her food, water, bones, etc. Why aren't we banning chocolate labs?
I also have a female chocolate labs that is very protective of her yard, bones, and toys. She will always bark to"warn" intruders. She would never attack anyone. I don't think pit bulls "made a living" warning anyone.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times
Quote:
Everyone who has a pit will tell you there's is docile and quiet. I'll bet the one that attacked me was docile and quiet too.

I understand pits can be good dogs, I get that. What you and other pit owners need to understand is that these dogs are bred with the will to kill. You and other pit owners can sugar coat it as much as you want, these dogs are dangerous.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While I completely disagree with the banning as it's way too intrusive and IMO goes against the idea of being a "montanan" where freedom is protected. If this ban goes through then maybe they should ban the dogs that continually come on my land and bark,poop and generally harrass everyone. How about German Shepards?
I would support strengthening the penalties for allowing your dog to either run loose or bite someone. If your child hurts someone you and the child are responsible both legally and financially, it should be the same for pets.
What I do not like is groups that totally misrepresent an issue just to garner support like the group you linked. They say that the bill requires destruction of the dogs in the state after the bill is passed and this is not quite the whole truth, it's a misstatement designed to whip up support. After I read the bill I found it actually says:
NEW SECTION. Section 2. Removal of pit bull dog -- destruction. (1) A person who owns, keeps, or harbors a pit bull dog in violation of [section 1(1)] shall surrender the dog to any peace officer or representative of a county or municipal agency with authority for animal control unless the owner provides proof that the dog:

(a) is registered in accordance with [section 1(3)]; or

(b) is not a pit bull dog.

(2) Pursuant to a search warrant supported by probable cause and issued by a district court judge, municipal court judge, or justice of the peace, a peace officer may seize a pit bull dog and place the dog with the county or municipal agency with authority for animal control.

(3) Within 10 days of receiving a pit bull dog, the county or municipal agency with authority for animal control shall euthanize the dog unless the owner provides proof that the dog is not a pit bull dog or that the dog was registered and exempt from the provisions of [section 1(1)].

(4) The county may establish a fair hearing process for an appeal of a determination that a dog is a pit bull dog.

If you don't register your dog after the bill is passed or are in violation of section 1 then the dog can be put down.
Yours' is a well researched and balanced opinion. It certainly expands upon my original concern. I am not pro pit bull, but I am anti-government intervention when it tramples on your freedom to own, care for, and supervise a dog, even if some people do a poor job of it.

A pit bull and most other dogs will bite you if you threaten what is theirs' (food, bowl, toy,etc.). In contrast, the government will bite you in an effort to take what is yours'. Do you really want a government bureaucrat deciding what kind of dog you can have?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Do you really want a government bureaucrat deciding what kind of dog you can have?
Pits are dangerous dogs, they are bred to be that way-- but I support small government so this is something I struggle with... I dont want the gov stepping on my rights, but I dont like people having dangerous (they call them docile) dogs either.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I am not pro pit bull, but I am anti-government intervention when it tramples on your freedom to own, care for, and supervise a dog, even if some people do a poor job of it.
We are also entitled to live without a threat to our personal well being...whether in the form of a human being or a pet that is bred to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana