Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,626 times

Advertisements

My point is, yes dogs are dogs, and people are people. I don't know about you all, but I don't need the government to protect me from some domesticated dog breed. For that matter I don't need their help with bears, wolves, cougars or anything else.

Sheesh, people are more dangerous than dogs, and I'm typing this as one who has broken up many a dog fight, and yes I've been bit too. (try to get 2 male huskies to get along, or a female husky and a female chow...) Even have scars, but you know what? NONE of them were euthanized and all but one have good places to live and be useful. The exception is an old siberian husky female of mine that passed away last spring.. (heart attack during a thunderstorm) at 16 years old she was a good dog and never hurt anyone but me, for getting in the middle of a fight between her and a female chow... Funny thing is after I got them separated all she wanted to do was lick my wounds, and paid no attention to hers.

If you want to ban a dog breed, I suggest you move back to California and leave the rest of us alone.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 01-19-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 08:17 PM

71 posts, read 305,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
they should keep pitbulls in montana, they are as much fun to SHOOT as coyotes would a lab bite a stranger? yeah, but can you make a pit a retriever? Im going duck hunting soon. can they swim? naw they make a better target.
Actually yes you can make a pit bull retrieve. My sister and her husband have one that does just that and they have 2 girls(6yr&2yr) also when they go deer hunting she tracks down the deer for them. Oh and yes they swim. We had one named Madison who actually saved our cavalier. We were at the lake and Monte went out too far and started to sink and Madison (who was closer) took his ear and drug him to us. He was fine just clung to me. Another story about Madison. When we were building our house we would let her and Bentley run around. Well, our neighbours cows got out and onto our property. Madison rounded them up and herderd them back to the owners house. He called and THANKED us and everytime they would get out we would let her out to herd them back to his property. We have lots of people around here who use them for hog dogs and herding dogs. We use to breed pit bulls but with our first litter decided too many of the wrong kind of people wanted the puppies so we got Madison spayed.

Like someone else said pretty much ALL dogs were bred for hunting,fighting/baiting and guarding. That was why people had them. Most people didn't have dogs as companions like we do today they were around to hunt, guard and kill. Yes there are dogs bred as compaion dogs but if you ask me most of those are the dogs that today bite people b/c people spoil them and don't treat them like dogs they treat them like kids. It's just pit bulls get all the news coverage. We had a Pomeranian attack and really did damage to a baby. They covered it up and didn't put it in any papers but if it was a pit bull it would have made headlines. I heard about it b/c of my job (groomer) A lhasa I used to groom bit the owners child in the face, she was put down. Worst dogs I've had was a border collie (ripped my hand open, still have a BIG scar),chow, hound mix, german shepherd,dachshund,boxer, dalmation, lab, yorkie(yes a yorkie) been bit by lots of shih tzus,chihuahuas and schnauzers. I know it's a bit different for me b/c of being a groomer. Like I have said little dogs can be just aggressive if not more then bigger dogs but no one ever reports them b/c they don't tend to leave as much damage. I'm not saying all pit bulls are nice but again IT"S THE OWNER!!!!!! They do NOT pop out and try to kill everything in site PEOPLE MAKE them that way just like they can make ANY dog/breed that way.

Here is a picture of our vicious pit bull Bentley. Click image for larger version

Name:	09-03-08 104.JPG
Views:	5808
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	34464

Click image for larger version

Name:	09-03-08 107.JPG
Views:	1441
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	34465

Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Ok, let me throw this into the mix, now it's a "dangerous" dog when will it be your guns? Yes it's a stretch but think about it. People with guns are way more dangerous than some pit bull right? Heck in yesterdays Kalispell paper they were talking about a 9 year old boy that shot a girl being sentenced to probation until he's 18 so being that more people are injured by guns than pit bulls shouldn't we ban those or at least restrict who can touch them to someone over 21?
Another thing, I had a cop friend who was a k-9 cop. He had 2 dobbermans, I say had because he had to shoot both of them. One attacked him in the cop car and the replacement one attacked him while he was in bed with his wife. I was attacked by my neighbors Rott in my own front yard, should we ban them as well? Personally I'm more afraid of Dobbies and believe it or not Dalmations than I am pits (depending on the owner of the pit). Dobbies and Dalmations are very high strung dogs and are known for being schitziod, good one second and in full on nutso the next.
The point is this so called problem can be addressed without an outright ban of the dog. Just do what Montana has always done, place it squarely on personal responsability by nailing the owner to the wall if their dog (no matter what breed) is dangerous.
By dangerous I mean that dog has been shown to be agressive on more than one occasion so the owners should have known what they had just like a child that kills or maims someone.
I find it funny they want to ban plain bull dogs since every one I've ever run into has been a slobbering baby that wouldn't hurt a fly.
Seems like our legislators need a reminder on where they live and that it's not Seattle or the left coast.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShads2 View Post
I have a 2 year old pitbull... My parents own 4 daschunds from which my pitbull hides in fear everytime one of them growls at him. He's never bitten anyone and scares himself the few times he does bark. I also own a chocolate lab (the one mentioned above) and she is aggressive when it comes to protecting her food, water, bones, etc. Why aren't we banning chocolate labs?
I have a Pitbull and a Doberman/Pitbull mix. I also have a Lhasa Apso (little white furball, similar to a Shih Tzu) and he has both of those bigger dogs in check. When it's dinner time they all eat at their respective bowls, but if either of the bigger dogs happens to go near the little guy's food, he loses his mind. The Pitbill and Doberman are not the slightest bit aggressive but the Lhasa Apso is ... who knew!

ANY dog breed is prone to aggressive behavior ... they are animals, for crying out loud! The only reason you hear so much about Pitbull attacks is due to the amount of people who fight them and/or use them as status symbols. They are dogs with a long lineage of selective breeding and they are to be respected and shown love. I have a magnet on my fridge that says "CAUTION: Pitbull may lick you to death!" And it's true. All she wants to do is jump in your lap and suffocate you with sloppy kisses.

It's a shame when any area puts a ban on any type of dog breed. Shoot the bad dog owners and give the poor dogs a break.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,806 times
From the Missoulian today:

Story:

Florence girl, dog attacked by pit bull FLORENCE - A Florence grade-school-aged girl was mauled by a pit bull Saturday afternoon while apparently trying to intervene in a dogfight. The girl was walking her family's small dog with either her mother or grandmother when the incident occurred, Ravalli County Sheriff Chris Hoffman said Monday. For more of this story, click on or type the URL below: Missoulian: Florence girl, dog attacked by pit bull (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/01/20/news/mtregional/news11.txt - broken link)

The little girl had her ear almost ripped off when she tried to intervene; and her pet dog was so badly injured that they had to put him down.

Ban the pit bulls people; they are natural born killers.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
From the Missoulian today:

Story:

Florence girl, dog attacked by pit bull FLORENCE - A Florence grade-school-aged girl was mauled by a pit bull Saturday afternoon while apparently trying to intervene in a dogfight. The girl was walking her family's small dog with either her mother or grandmother when the incident occurred, Ravalli County Sheriff Chris Hoffman said Monday. For more of this story, click on or type the URL below: Missoulian: Florence girl, dog attacked by pit bull (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/01/20/news/mtregional/news11.txt - broken link)

The little girl had her ear almost ripped off when she tried to intervene; and her pet dog was so badly injured that they had to put him down.
Ban the pit bulls people; they are natural born killers.

Now if that was a, let's just say lab, it would not have been reported. Trust me I've seen it happen. When I was growing up we had a lab mix and she did bite a girls bottom part of her ear off and took a chunk out of another girls cheek. All which did not listen to my parents and went by the fence and stuck their faces next to it. Point is no one did anything b/c it was a lab mix but if it was a pit bull they would have put her down the first time. Also I know of someone who had a cattledog and that dog attacked people for no reason. Not once did it get reported and then it attacked a little boy walking down the street and he almost died and was left w/ scars for the rest of his life. FINALLY he was put down after majorly attacking 3 adults and the little boy plus all the minor attacks. Did it get put in the paper NO I found out b/c one of the neighbors brings his dog in for grooming and told me. And again if it was a pit bull is would have been all over the news and it would have been put down. That's the point I'm am trying to make. ANY dog can be aggressive it's just pit bulls are the ones that get reported and put in the news. NO dog comes out ready to kill and attack things people MAKE them that way.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 37,659 times
Default Pit bulls ahhhhhh!!!!!

I have a pit bull and he is sooo MEAN!, he licks my face uncontrollably, he loves to go on runs and play at the dog park, oh and get this, he sleeps in my bed!!! If he is banned not only will i have to pay a huge fine but he will have to wear a muzzle and leash at public outings. What will this do for the breed? Well, people will look at pit bulls and think "Oh, that dog is wearing a muzle therefore he is aggressive". Diesel will no longer be able to play at the dog park because he will be wearing a leash and a muzzle. Lets be logical here, is it the breed in question? NO, it's the "wanna be G THUGS" that acquire them, those are the people who should be banned from owning pit bulls. I think caring for this wonderful breed takes energy and a certain degree of knowledge, and people who mistreat and do not care for them, will end up with a bad dog. This goes to say for any breed. I have met more chihuahuas that are aggressive than I have pit bulls. Please have faith in this breed, they were once bred for fighting and mistreatment but have now proven to be very loyal and loving. Sigh the petition against this bill, and if you could care less, then thats fine, just dont reply to the blog because if you dont have an opinion on the matter then it's useless to the people who do care!

p.s. what kind of dog do you own? Pretend that your dog is going to be taken from you or subject to wear a muzzle everywhere, its a frightening reality. VOTE against this bill

Old 01-20-2009, 04:13 PM

A small child is trying to intervene in a DOG FIGHT!!!!!! where are her parents? They should be banned from having a child.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenben777 View Post
A small child is trying to intervene in a DOG FIGHT!!!!!! where are her parents? They should be banned from having a child.

So true!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM

This is a very crucial issue and people are coming together to talk about it!

Anyways, Correction: The little girl was not attacked, she stepped in the way of two fighting dogs. Where was this girls mother?!!! Google this: A few years ago a toy pomeranian killed an infant. should we ban pomeranians?, oh but their so cute and it probably didn't mean to right?

YES WE SHOULD BAN PEOPLE FROM OWNING PITBULLS.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 01-21-2009 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: refrain from calling people names, direct message me instead of discussing forum issues in posts please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana