Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 06:02 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Hi all, NC Resident here, will be vacationing in Upstate New York in July, and we are looking for a fun place to stop and explore for 3-4 days on our way home. It will be after 4th of July holiday.

Wife and I are in our 50's, I'm more "Active" than she is, but we both like to get out, see things, explore and EAT great food. I grew up in Pittsburgh, so as a kid I recall going to Cheat Lake and Coopers Rock (but don't remember much about it, I was 9 when I moved to NC). We are open to hikes of up to 4 or 5 miles, if the destination is worth the effort, open to adventure things, historical sites, or even just chilling at a quiet place while we enjoy a new location. (Whatever)

Thought I'd post here and see if people have suggestions for things to do in the area, places to see, foods to eat, or even areas to stay in. We are leaning toward getting an AirBnB in a convenient/fun neighborhood, but are absolutely not locked into anything (including not even locked into coming this way, but it looks like a great/fun area.)

Our original plan was to visit New England for a few days, and then work our way down the Atlantic Coast, but we were already wavering on that plan due to "July near the beach", and the recent tragedy on the Francis Scott Key Bridge has us thinking to completely stay away from the East Coast now.

Open to any thoughts, ideas, suggestions of things to do, places to see, or even other locations in the general region.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 09:05 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Cooper's Rock is still a nice place to go for a hike. It is as good an idea as any. Cheat Lake isn't a place I know much about.......if you are picking a lake, there are more attractions at Deep Creek Lake, about 30 miles east in Western Maryland.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:48 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Spent some time at Cheat Lake, beautiful area, plenty to do. Less expensive than Deep Creek Lake.

https://www.visitmountaineercountry.com/cheat-lake/

Old 04-02-2024, 04:39 AM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Spent some time at Cheat Lake, beautiful area, plenty to do. Less expensive than Deep Creek Lake.

Deep Creek IS Way better though. There's so much more that could be done with Cheat Lake that would rake in the $ for Mon County, kinda sad actually.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:51 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

As a kid (1970's) I remember a rope swing. I was too young to do it, but talked my parents into it anyway. It was on the bank, and you swung out, let go, and dropped into the water. Only I froze and almost didn't let go. I was heading into the shore, all the adults screaming to let go. I guess I survivied, probably fell into shallow water, but came out unscathed.

Thanks y'all for all the suggestions, I'll check out Deep Creek too. (Maybe more convenient to our route between upstate NY and Raleigh NC, bonus!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown