Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 AM

41 posts, read 316,767 times

Advertisements

How important is it to shop around for mortgages? How many places would you suggest trying? What is the average rate now? We have good credit (750-800) so wondering what we can expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 AM

43,396 posts, read 77,320,136 times
You should expect a mortgage banker or broker to talk you through the process, before pressing for personal information to do a credit check.

Preapproval should take a matter of minutes. Loan committment will be reserved until you have a contract and the lender does an appraisal.

You should expect direct answers to your questions. You should work with someone who has the patience to guide you, and help you avoid surprises. It is like picking any other professional. You need to 'click' to some degree.

Also, ask your mortgage rep if he/she goes to the closing. The best service providers go to all closings possible. This helps if there is a last minute question regarding the loan documentation and the HUD1.
Loan reps who skip closing leave it to the attorney and agents to resolve loan questions they shouldn't be answering.

Any good agent knows at least a handful of mortgage lenders, bankers and brokers, who give great service with integrity and reasonable costs.
I like lenders with in-house underwriting, as you can get a quick response from the real decision makers.
That said, some brokers do an excellent job with preapprovals, and work routinely with lenders who recognize that. These brokers tend to provide great results.

Reasonable costs? I don't believe that it is true that "You get what you pay for." But, I absolutely believe, "If you don't pay for it, you don't get it." Shopping only on the basis of teaser low rates and projected fees may be hazardous to your wealth.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,368,486 times
It was worth shopping for mortgages when we bought our home 5 years ago. It is also worth negotiating on the various fees and terms. The rates varied some, as did the closing cost fees. By comparing different options and negotiating with the different mortgage providers based on what the others were providing, we ended up with a better deal than what any single provider was initially offering (e.g., lower rate without raising the closing costs, and a no-escrow account).

Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,626,895 times
Try going to www.bankrate.com and shopping mortgage rates.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 AM

41 posts, read 316,767 times
Is there a certain percentage of the home price that would be expected as normal for closing costs? Or is it not based on this?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 AM

The only thing that I can recall is the title insurance, which I think runs about 1% of the home value. But, it's been a few years since I bought a house. Once you find a lender, they should be able to provide you with a "truth in lending" statement. This will cover their fees. You can also talk to your realtor about other fees that are generally common in this area.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 AM

583 posts, read 2,805,051 times
If there's ANY way that either of you could get membership to a Credit Union, I would definitely check into that. In our experience, they've always had the best rates on loans (houses, cars, etc.).

Old 04-16-2007, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,284,255 times
When checking mortgages, I'd forget the newspaper. Most of those rates are about a week old.

I'd go with a recommendation from your Realtor. I know my lenders. I know they give the best rates to my clients and they have no junk fees involved.

Usually with new construction, the builder will give you some closing costs but then you must use his lender. Thats fine too. However, I will have one of my lenders look it over and if my lender can do better, we go with him. If my lender can't match the closing costs paid by the builder, at least he'll tell us if there are any junk fees involved and usually I can get the builder to throw those out.

I've had 2 clients use internet lenders. They do alot of "bait and switch" and I don't understand how they continue to get away with this. I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Vicki

Old 04-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I've had 2 clients use internet lenders. They do alot of "bait and switch" and I don't understand how they continue to get away with this. I wouldn't waste my time with them.
I'm hoping that my experience will be less painful. We used an internet lender years ago when we bought our previous house, and then again when we refinanced. We got competitive rates, no junk fees, and everything went without a hitch.

We are tempting fate again this time by going with another "internet lender". This time we chose EverBank, which has been ranked "Best of the Web" by Forbes magazine for the last 5 years. We shopped around at first, trying our credit union and 2 or 3 lenders recommended by our realtor, but they all wanted to charge a 1% origination fee (junk fee!) and their rates were higher.

Who knows, I may regret it, but so far we've done well and have been getting prompt service when we call -- knock on wood.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,284,255 times
Good luck newuser. Like I said...had 2 clients and had huge problems both times.

At least with the lenders in town, you can go to their office and just sit until the issues are resolved.

With the internet lenders being in some other state, what recourse do you have?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages