Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 03:39 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How do you know her man is cheating on her with Jolene? Seems like Jolene is after her man and she is telling Jolene to back off. In the context of Jay Z being her man and him being in the video and there are probably endless women throwing themselves at him all the time. That is the context of the version of this song in my opinion.

Not a big fan of Beyonce but she did a good job with this. And if Dolly gives her approval. That is good enough for me. And I also like the White Stripes version of this song.
I think that is a good interpretation of the context of the song. But I would argue that it is still the same song that Dolly sung - both singers want Jolene to stay away from their man. But if their man was at all trustworthy they would not have to do that.

I think Beyonce did a good job with her version of the song and, of course, Dolly's version is iconic. I'm not saying they're bad songs. I like them both, I just don't find either song particularly empowering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 03:45 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
without the society that see's the guitarist as second in importance or the instrument which makes the genre rock, or electric blues i don't think as a community we think of g.o.a.t of guitar.

Srv would be generational too young for hendrix when his estate forced you to buy his music while videos of stevie ray were freely available. And too old for the most recent star who also played guitar.
huh?

Old 04-06-2024, 04:18 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
huh?
For some reason the software took letters lowercase. But in general guitar hero and greatest guitarist is a genre concern of Rock fans. Electric Blues is their root. In School of Rock Jack Black uses the guitarist status in Rock to motivate his student. A kid goes Back to the Future and grabs a guitar to inspire Chuck Berry. Video games featuring a fake guitar play along. In other genres the guitar is just another team player, and is not featured above others.

And your greatest is most likely dependent upon your generation as many greatest rock players music was not allowed on streaming for fear of pirates snatching it. So those whose music remained available moved up on the greatest list as new listeners found it easier to find them as they didn't have to take a chance buying a physical CD unheard.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:39 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Just no to all of it. Ick. Pathetic.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:58 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I would not be surprised if Beyonce is up for album of the year. Not because of the quality of the album. The Grammy organization can break the choke hold the country music industry has on that corner of the market. And also the Grammy organization owes Beyonce an Album of the year award. Black people who don't like country music will like Cowboy Carter. The same way black people who didn't care for hippie rock music in the 60's dug Jimi Hendrix.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:51 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would not be surprised if Beyonce is up for album of the year. Not because of the quality of the album. The Grammy organization can break the choke hold the country music industry has on that corner of the market. And also the Grammy organization owes Beyonce an Album of the year award. Black people who don't like country music will like Cowboy Carter. The same way black people who didn't care for hippie rock music in the 60's dug Jimi Hendrix.

oh, she will get album of the yer because hubby Jay-Z made a stink about it last years grammy, boo hooing that his so very talented and wonderful wifey pooh did not get album of the year, someone else did, so I'm betting that Miss Thing is going to get (finally) album of the year, and then, I will vomit, as I think the album sucked.

didn't anyone see Jay-Z with daughter Blu something sitting there while he went on a rant that even though Queen B had received 32 grammys, he wanted her to get album of the year.I guess 32 grammy wasnt enough.

like an ungrateful big baby.

hey Z, there are other talented peeps out there besides Queen B.

Old Today, 05:41 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I believe she will get album of the year, because the quality of music is also amazing in this record. The haters will try to overshadow her great body of work over the years with Jay Z's Grammy speech, but they are all just meaningless distracting chatter bots with rhetorical dead ears. Doesn't change the fact that she still is the deserving of another Grammy to her already record breaking wins.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; Today at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music